IGNORED

Best motorcycle degreaser

frankd

My 89 Royale has had a messy oil leak for longer than I'll admit, and I think I have at least one source fixed (the ignition sensing coil lead gromet).     Yesterday it was 72 degrees here (central TN) and I decided that I'd work on cleaning up the greasy mess my engine had become.     I had two spray cans of different engine degreasers, but really they didn't do a very good job.   Yes, I did get quite a bit cleaned up, but there's still a lot left even though I brushed anyplace I could get to.   I did some online research and there a lot of different cleaners that people claim work great, including Gunk foam (not what I used) and Purple Power.     There were even some home brew concoctions that used kerosene and other things.     What do you find that works for degreasing a motorcycle engine?

We use purple power for de-greasing and cleaning diesel engines, drive-line,  chassis's and wheel end parts such as brakes at work and so far with one exception it is the best product we have ever used. The one exception to it was one I used thirty years ago but cannot find any more and I don't even remember the name. I only know it was a blue concentrate.

Edited by saddlebum

Taking into account that we live in middle TN. about 70 mi. SE of Nashville and a lot of things aren't available around here, I will try Purple Power next warm day.     I've got a couple of gallons of Purple Power, and I 'was gonna' try that next anyway.     Spencer, I will supplement the Purple Power with brake clean on the real nasty areas.

Cimmer....Extreme Greem Automotive Cleaner-Degreaser looks real good also, but buying it is the problem.    It shows ONLINE that you can buy it from Stearns (the manufacturer I think) or at Fleet and Farm stores.    In Illinois and Wisconsin they have Farm and Fleet, but Fleet and Farm is a different chain.      Our Grandson lives in St. Cloud MN., and there is a store there.     The next time we get up to visit him again, I'll stop and pick up a jug there.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

CRC also makes a non chlorinated brake cleaner that is an excelent degreaser and much less likely to damage plastics. I.e., it won't melt the plastic but it can discolor some so try it on a hidden bit first.

I use this on my guns as well as brakes and engines. It's great for carbon build up. Be sure to recoat/oil anything that is prone to rust as it will strip any protective/lubricting coating off.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2021 at 10:18 AM, frankd said:

My 89 Royale has had a messy oil leak for longer than I'll admit, and I think I have at least one source fixed (the ignition sensing coil lead gromet).     Yesterday it was 72 degrees here (central TN) and I decided that I'd work on cleaning up the greasy mess my engine had become.     I had two spray cans of different engine degreasers, but really they didn't do a very good job.   Yes, I did get quite a bit cleaned up, but there's still a lot left even though I brushed anyplace I could get to.   I did some online research and there a lot of different cleaners that people claim work great, including Gunk foam (not what I used) and Purple Power.     There were even some home brew concoctions that used kerosene and other things.     What do you find that works for degreasing a motorcycle engine?

SuperTech Engine Degreaser from Walmart.  It's cheap, so you can use lots of it, and it foams up to expand and fill cracks and crevices.  Rise off with water and reapply as many times as is necessary to cut through thick crud.  Did I mention it was cheap?  So you can apply, rinse, and reapply multiple times without doing a lot of detailed scrubbing.

14 hours ago, Beau-Kat said:

I have Purple Power in my shop for some needs. 

I use it on mower engines, but not anymore on my bike engines.  

I used it only once on my SR500 engine and it streaked the clear coat on the stator cover. 

Use Permatex gasket remover on the stater and other clear coated parts. It will remove the clear coat.

No more clear coat streaking.:thumbsup2:

Edited by saddlebum

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 9:15 AM, Bob K. said:

SuperTech Engine Degreaser from Walmart.  It's cheap, so you can use lots of it, and it foams up to expand and fill cracks and crevices.  Rise off with water and reapply as many times as is necessary to cut through thick crud.  Did I mention it was cheap?  So you can apply, rinse, and reapply multiple times without doing a lot of detailed scrubbing.

I didn’t know super tech had a degreaser.  Mine isn’t too bad after I used the autozone brand earlier this week but it could use some more attention and foaming is an additional benefit.

Edited by Pasta Burner

I found similar results with the purple power. Over all it works good, but kind of streaky, same with simple green. But my son was messing around the other week and going to clean his wheels on his car. He had some of this new Dawn foaming dish soap and thought what the heck. He said it worked pretty decent.