Hi All.

I am interested if anyone has any opinions on the desirability of making the brakes more responsive than currently.  I have read about R1/R6 caliper changes, but nothing conclusive, and feel there is more to be had from the front in particular.

Against this is the originality, there has been nothing changed that cannot be removed in minutes and I would like to keep her that way.

Any thoughts?

Paul

Posted (edited)

I de-linked my brakes so that both fronts work of the front brake lever and the rear brake is now independent off the foot lever. it improves front wheel braking almost too much and avoids front wheel lock when you use the rear brake only on slippery surfaces. I have actually been toying with the idea of relinking my brakes but with a twist by linking the rear brake to front brakes but in such a fashion as to still allow independent rear braking. I would need a different master on the handlebar though since I do not think the master could handle three calipers.

Edited by saddlebum

What I found to be the most productive in improving the brakes was replacing all the rubber lines with steel braided hoses. I found on my 89 VR a number of years ago that when I applied the brakes or clutch, I would have my hand wrapped around the line and could fill it expand as pressure was applied. I went ahead and replaced all the lines, rebuilt the master cylinders, calipers, and clutch slave and found that my brakes improved and if I wanted to, I could lock up the front wheel in a panic stop. I have no de-linked my brakes or have I upgraded to the R1/R6 calipers and have no plans to do so at this time. In my opinion, getting the pressure to the calipers is the key in getting a reliable braking system that will stop you when needed. 

There are a number of vendors that offer complete kits for the Ventures to upgrade the lines and I would strongly suggest doing that first along with the rebuild of the other components.

Rick F.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, cimmer said:

What I found to be the most productive in improving the brakes was replacing all the rubber lines with steel braided hoses.  I went ahead and replaced all the lines, rebuilt the master cylinders, calipers, and clutch slave and found that my brakes improved and if I wanted to, I could lock up the front wheel in a panic stop. I have no de-linked my brakes or have I upgraded to the R1/R6 calipers and have no plans to do so at this time. In my opinion, getting the pressure to the calipers is the key in getting a reliable braking system that will stop you when needed. 

There are a number of vendors that offer complete kits for the Ventures to upgrade the lines and I would strongly suggest doing that first along with the rebuild of the other components.

Rick F.

I had replaced my lines with stainless as well at the time I de-linked my brakes. I did not de-link my brakes to increase front braking,  because I could raise my rear wheel off the ground as it was and to me you do not need any more brake than that. My reason was because on a few occasions, on slippery road surfaces, I came close to having the front wheel slide out from under me because it would lock up on me, even even though I only used the rear brakes, no matter how gently I applied them. On one occasion I was coming down a steep hill with sand covered asphalt at the intersection, and after three attempts to get stopped with no luck I knew  I was going to end up either in or through the intersection,  so an a whim and prayer I rolled hard on the throttle and shot the intersection, (with my eyes closed and fingers and toes crossed). I now have better control over my bikes braking and in those situations were I only want rear brake I can have only rear brake.

Skydoc does over a de-link kit with stainless lines or you can take your old lines into a shop that is DOT certified to make brake lines and and have have them copy the lines in stainless. Make sure they are certified for this purpose do not use just any hose making shop.

Edited by saddlebum

I cannot attest to the benefits of linked vs de-linked brakes as I kept my bike’s front brakes linked. But I can tell you that replacing my 30 year old rubber hoses with all stainless steel hoses was a huge improvement!

I also replaced my front springs (with Progressive’s), rebuilt all my calipers, rebuilt both masters, and installed EBC HH pads.

I went from a dangerously low amount of braking power to a more than adequate (even by today’s standards) amount of braking power and control.