IGNORED

Wobble and Weave

Leland

I found this article by Cycle World's Kevin Cameron very interesting.

https://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle-wobble-and-weave-making-sense-death-wobble-talk/

This section on "Influence of Tire Pressure on Stability" explains why many (including myself) have experienced instability after changing to the smaller 130 front tire.  I find it worse with my current Shinko 130/90B16 Heavy duty than the previous Michelin Commander II I ran.  I'm thinking now that this may be due to the higher pressure that I have been running with the Shinko.  It is rated for 49# and I have been running around 44-45#.  Next Spring I plan on dropping back down to maybe 36-38# and see how it feels.  If not better I plan on returning to the stock 150/80-16.

Influence Of Tire Pressure On Stability

Tire pressure is another important variable in stability, for it controls the size of the tire’s footprint. That footprint provides most of the damping (friction in the system) that is responsible for maintaining stability. Therefore maintain the tire inflation pressures called out in the owner’s manual or tire placard. Higher tire pressures reduce the amount of rubber in contact with the pavement—the tire “footprint”—thereby reducing damping and possibly affecting stability. Always respect the tire maker’s advice regarding tire pressures, as they are an integral part of a tire’s design.