IGNORED

Removing air ride

I'm taking off everything on my 1986 yamaha venture royale star. New to bikes and builds. Wanting to make it a bare bike. Just the basics. What I'm looking at in this very moment is taking the air shocks out of it. Rear shock is easy but front is in the forks and I'm at a loss at to what I can or need to do. Is there a replacement fork that doesn't have air? A way to rebuild them without air? Any info would be appreciated. Whether just advice or links. Thank you in advance.

9 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

Eh, the front shocks are the easy ones, imho. A set of progressive springs and new oil. No air needed. I've not heard of a non pneumatic replacement for the rear shock. 

I've found a bunch of universal shocks for the rear. Is there a reason they won't work? Like I said I'm new to this and not 100% sure. They look the same and the distance looks correct. 

6 hours ago, Jlcccc said:

I've found a bunch of universal shocks for the rear. Is there a reason they won't work? Like I said I'm new to this and not 100% sure. They look the same and the distance looks correct. 

When you say shock I hope you mean shock and spring combo.