IGNORED

Checking oil

I think some have advocated putting a 2 x4 under the kickstand to get the bike close to vertical in order to check the oil but it still is not completely upright and there is a risk of it tipping over on you when you are on the floor trying to see the sight glass.  The bike weighs 869 lbs.  Wouldn't be that much fun if that thing falls on you.  

Drain the oil put in the prescribed measure of oil less one quart. With the bike on the side stand note or mark the oil level. Add the final quart and again note or mark the oil level.  Now you can check your oil level while it is on the side stand without any special tricks.

Edited by saddlebum

7 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

I don't think the level shows in the sight glass when the bike is on the sidestand.  Might work with the 2 by 4 under the kick stand.

Maybe it is different with the 2nd gen I know my 1st gen shows the oil level when on the side std. just shows it a tad lower.

It will vary some bike to bike, I have leveling links raising mine up without lengthening the side stand so the oil is out of the glass on the stand. I usually ride it up on the lift table before a ride to check oil and tires. I built/added a wheel chock on the table that holds it vertical without clamping it so it’s a quick easy job. Air pressure changes in the shock will also change oil levels on the stand. 

• 2 weeks later...

5 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

And @Marcarlbeing Dutch would say,  :backinmyday: just  keep leaning the bike until the oil reaches the full mark and you can save money by not needing to add any oil :beer:

In addition to that, when you change your oil, be sure to catch it all in a container, that way it's easier to save, to use next time around. You only need to have 2 lots of oil that way, rather than having to go buy new stuff every time.

• Haha 5

On 12/27/2020 at 3:39 PM, BlueSky said:

I use a telescoping mirror and check the oil level while I'm astride the bike holding it upright.  I don't want to risk the bike falling on me.  

I second this idea.  At first I kept on calling for my wife or my son to take a look at the 'oil glass sight' to check on the oil level, but almost always they are not around.  So, I listened and followed member's suggestions...a telescoping mirror has many uses and now I can check my RSV's oil level with ease.  I simply have to shine a light on the mirror for a better view.  

• Like 1

Great video and I've done that on my 2nd gen.  I'd say its probably a little bit dicier due to the 2nd gen gas tank location raising the center of gravity (best not to do with a full tank!), but doable.  I found its also helpful to start with the kickstand on a 2x4, so only have to pull it up a little bit to level.

I like my Gen 1 and the center stand, no questions ever, but then again, I guess I'm fortunate that my ole 83 doesn't burn a drop.

I would think that once you establish your oil level upright in the sight glass, then tilt it to the side on a 2x4 with handlebars straight forward as well, you would establish that reference mark as well in the sight glass.  Going forward, one would always know where the oil should be on a 2x4.  

Maybe I'm missing something? 🤷‍♂️

Let cha in on a little secret,, Tweeks, Tweeksis's sister, got bad enough in her oil usage (mostly leakage) when she crossed the 250k mile point that I regularly kept track of her oil using the throttle and the oil level gauge. I would just hit her hard once in a while when taking off and watch her oil light. If the light came on for more than a few seconds I knew it was time to add a quart. Her last 30k miles I rarely changed her oil, I just kept dumping in fresh when her light said it was time and peridocially stuck in a new filter.   Now that I think of this,, does the 2nd gen even have a Oil Level monitor light on the dash? Not sure.. If not, that one off method of checking your oil is probably not relevant.