IGNORED

What the Best Tires for a XVZ1200

larrydr

I just finished changing the front tire on my  XVZ1200 ...Installed 120 / 70 R18 ....At 5ft 6 ....I wanted to bring down the front of the bike to put the bike closer to the ground ...It did just that , but it feels like the bike has fallen on its nose ...Now the back end feels high ...Cannot find any 150 /70 R16 for the rear .

You have to be careful on what you try to put on the rear of a 1st gen venture. There's not much clearance between the swing arm and lower profile tires. The only thing I found in that 150/70r16 was a pirelli 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ebay.com/p/1628061454&ved=2ahUKEwj13PHonrrtAhUFna0KHfGMCXwQFjACegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw1JIJYYDbctjIHVW4D6tfJG

Hey @cowpuck can you add some insight here?

Edited by Squidley

Cowpuc will swear by the Shinkos. I would agree, especially if you are a few k a year guy. If you need a lot of miles in a year then maybe higher priced tires. But I have got very good service for my $$ with the Shinkos.

• Like 1

One tire I would not put on the 1st gen though they seem to work well with the 2nd Gens is the Avon Tire. Many myself included found at 60 mph(96 km) the tire would cause the bike to go into a bad tail wag. Trying various tire pressures did not seem to make any difference. But as I said  they do seem to work well on the 2nd gens.

Another tire to be cautious about is the Metzler.  Though for the most part they have historically been good tire they have had some catastrophic failures. I believe, though I am not 100%, that the ones that failed were made in Mexico, so if you do decide to go to a Metzler, see were it is made before you buy. On the other hand there are members here that have Experienced the failure that would probably and understandably so, tell you to just steer clear of them completely.

Edited by saddlebum

3 hours ago, saddlebum said:

One tire I would not put on the 1st gen though they seem to work well with the 2nd Gens is the Avon Tire. Many myself included found at 60 mph(96 km) the tire would cause the bike to go into a bad tail wag. Trying various tire pressures did not seem to make any difference. But as I said  they do seem to work well on the 2nd gens.

Another tire to be cautious about is the Metzler.  Though for the most part they have historically been good tire they have had some catastrophic failures. I believe, though I am not 100%, that the ones that failed were made in Mexico, so if you do decide to go to a Metzler, see were it is made before you buy. On the other hand there are members here that have Experienced the failure that would probably and understandably so, tell you to just steer clear of them completely.

The 880 Metzler were the ones that were delaminating. I don't think they sell them anymore as I believe it was replaced with the 888? I'm a big fan of Shinko's and am currently running the 777s on my 02. I have run them on the 1st gens I've owned as well.