IGNORED

Handling

Jthomas

Is it normal for the RSV to feel loose in the rear and sometimes 'fight' me when counter steering when taking a high speed rated (60+) ramp while doing highway speeds?  When I first bought my 07, I replaced both tires and rear brakes.  Last spring I noticed it felt kinda loose in the rear when taking a ramp w/ a posted "55 MPH" sign while doing about 65.  A few days later, as I was braking for a sharp ramp, the rear locked up with moderate pressure on the brake and I went sliding off the ramp. 

After repairs, my suspensions that my rear shock is shot was confirmed when I had to break on the Coronado bridge when I saw 2 cars were looking like they were gonna collide.  As I was not even close to tail gating them, I wanted to just slow down a bit in case I had to swerve.  With very light pressure, my rear felt like a rumble strip as it was brake hopping and my speed wasn't going down much.  Thankfully the cars didn't collide and I didn't fish tail, just had to use the bathroom when I got to work. 

Since then I've replaced my rear shock.  At first I felt like I was glued to the road again, but now it seems the looseness is coming back but not as badly. 

A few times she felt solid on a curve, but she was really resisting me pushing more in order to get a tighter curve.  This has forced me into a a really wide outside apex with me nearly entering the other lane...while in traffic. 

Is it normal for the bike to handle like a bus?  Not looking for sport bike handling, as thats not my riding style, but I feel that I can handle more than my bike can, which is opposite to what I'd like.  What can I do to get better handling?  What PSI in the shocks do ya'll find gives you the best handling?  

What kind of tires? You may need to check swingarm bearings and even the steering head bearings. Yamaha was stingy with grease in both ends and either one can cause crazy symptoms. Rear brakes are known to be touchy, pick your pads carefully as heavy pads lock up on a touch. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mr. Dawson is correct.

In addition, check out the torque settings on the rear axle, rear brake arm, caliper, etc.. Then, lift rear end off ground and see if you can move the swing arm/tire assembly side to side. Raise front end. Grab forks and see if you can move them fore and aft. Any movement is wrong. 

My RSV is tight in corners. My rear brake IS VERY touchy. Hit it hard and I lock up. I went with organic pads hoping they would not be so grabby. 

Tires first. Rear end next. Swing arm, steering hear bearings and front shocks. 

Let us know what you find!

D