IGNORED

Rode Through Snow

N3FOL

The forecast did not call for snow, but it came without warning.  I rode through it for my last 15 mile ride.  My speed was down 20 mph and not leaning the bike too much on the curves.  For safety, slowing down is the key.  It was not my cup of tea to ride in the snow.  Knobby tires is not an option.  My SVTC did perform well, but I was so nervous.  

It's been a long long time since I've ridden in snow. I highly doubt I would do it today. Cold - no issue but snow on the road is a different story today. BTW knobby tires were worse unless there was at least a few inches on the ground.  I found a Mid level tread pattern worked best. The pic below was the bike I rode in the winter in Ohio as a kid.  He found this going through his stuff a few months ago, it was right after I gave it to him. 

59962767_400SpecialII.thumb.jpg.ddadc562f49732b76e3e4870bf034134.jpg

@bpate4homeThat is a nice looking bikE.  It is also the type of bike I would be comfortable riding through snow.  It might actually be a lot more fun than a heavy cruiser.  :cold:  It is the type of bike I’d like to install a sidecar.  Below is my pic, when I took a vacation back home in the Philippines.  Ooops.  Forgot my drink.  

34713E64-BB4A-4B6C-B667-6F7A911BF34B.jpeg

351CAC92-2417-4557-AFF9-77C8FFD1C9BD.jpeg

• Like 2

During the big snow storm we had here in 1976, I put on my snowmobile suit and rode my 250 Can Am TNT, with trials tires, 24 KM (15 Mi) through the snow ranging from 1 to 1.5 feet deep, to work and was the only one to make it in. The bike went through that snow like it wasn't even there and was actually an enjoyable ride. On the other hand, the way home after they plowed the roads, was a nightmare. A lot of the sections had a hard packed white glaze which was almost as bad as riding on ice. Probably would have been worth my while to run some hex head sheet metal screws into the lugs like we did when ice riding but it never occurred to me until I got home.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 3

I agree @BratmanXj.  I will also go anywhere with at least 3 wheels on the ground.  Very :sign28: tricycle.  For this week, I've been riding since last Saturday even when temps are in the low to mid 20's.   At least no precipitation in the form of snow yet.  I always have to keep a close eye on the daily weather forecast and beyond.  

I got lucky and found a guy parting out a Ural local; purchased spare front & pusher wheels and mounted winter soft knobby duel-sport tires.  I run hard street rubber during the summer and swap over in 20-min for winter & off-road riding with my KLR owning buddies.  Last year I may have caused an accident or two of people taking pictures while taking a quick ride to get gas for the snowblower in the middle of a 10" snow storm.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hello.  My commute this morning was at 27 degrees with frost.  Roads were just fine, but I just have to be extra aware of the road condition.  I think most of the snow is still north of me, so riding will still continue up until the end of next week.   I know the riding window will soon close, but I'll take it day by day.  :cold: Your dual purpose bike KLM you have is the perfect bike, when no bike  touring bikes dare to hit the road.  

We are going to have a lot of measurable snow later today here in the PA area/NE.  I hope none of you guys are planning to ride :cold:through snow.  It may be about 5 to 7 days before I get to ride safely.  Salt on the roads needs a nice rain.  :rain2: Not looking good.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 12:09 PM, N3FOL said:

The forecast did not call for snow, but it came without warning.  I rode through it for my last 15 mile ride.  My speed was down 20 mph and not leaning the bike too much on the curves.  For safety, slowing down is the key.  It was not my cup of tea to ride in the snow.  Knobby tires is not an option.  My SVTC did perform well, but I was so nervous.  

In this season, I don't really trust weather forecasts. Therefore, my bike rides end by mid-November. This does not mean that I dashed off and no longer want to. I just prefer to be careful because the weather is unpredictable. I don't like to ride in a downpour, as well as on snow. Traction is not very good.

Rode yesterday to and from work yesterday.  Temperature stayed in the upper 20s.  The ride home happened to have some passing snow flurries and thank God that is all I got along the way.   Nothing really to worry about.  Today, rode again with temps around 32°F and will dip down in the low 20s in the am.  The heat on the bike definitely helps immensely.  It makes the ride so comfortable.  Cool Moon tonight.  

In college days (many moons ago), we used to ride home on weekends...snow or no snow. The hard part was the cold. hands usually had to be thawed out halfway home (Boston to New Hampshire) at a coffee shop. To painful. 

But have to agree, don't think I would like it on a touring bike. Plus, I don't bounce off the ground like I used to....Grins!

2 minutes ago, videoarizona said:

In college days (many moons ago), we used to ride home on weekends...snow or no snow. The hard part was the cold. hands usually had to be thawed out halfway home (Boston to New Hampshire) at a coffee shop. To painful. 

But have to agree, don't think I would like it on a touring bike. Plus, I don't bounce off the ground like I used to....Grins!

That depends if your riding through unplowed deep enough snow it would be a soft landing. What biker would not want a soft landing. :snow2:

• Like 1

Up here in the great white north we end up switching toys once the moose are shoulder deep. When i was in highschool a buddy and i were cruzing down the river and just having fun. I had a 94 artic cat prowler 2up that was the first of the efi models. If there was a trail broke you could reach 85 or 90 mph. Well we were doing about 45 in 2 ft of nice fluffy unbroken snow when suddenly i hit a spot where someone had walked thier snowblower down to clear a patch for ice fishing. The sled and i dropped down to the ice, hit the mound left from one of the holes and went airborn. I landed onthe snow blown up by the snowblower which was rock hard on top. The one ski punched through and slewed the sled around to a stop and i kept on going. Luckly the disturbed snow ended and i rolled in the softer stuff but that ride cost me a new windshield and a sore knee.  Lesson learned. Sorta.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/1/2021 at 3:11 PM, N3FOL said:

Nice!  If there is a will, there is a way.  Still snowing here, so no ride for the next 7 days or so.  Have fun in the snow.  

Interesting pictures. Is that what you call a tricycle? I have been on a few of them when I visit the Philippines and out in the provinces. I had a Keeway SuperLight 200 ( a cruiser) there to ride. Very comfortable with footboards etc but only good up to speeds of around 80km or so. The naked(barebone) bikes were a lot faster than that.