IGNORED

89 vr dash

I am finally getting around to a project bike that has been sitting in the shed for a while it is a 89 venture royale that i bought in pieces and am slowly rebuilding. I want to strip the fairing off of the front and make it look more like a rstd with hooded headlight/driving lights and clear windshield. I have an old tank off a kawasaki something that i am gutting and widening to cover the battery and airbox and intend to mount gauges in it. My question is has anyone tried to separate the lcd displays from the rest of the gauge cluster?

I havent traced the back of the circut board yet and wasnt sure how tied in each of the instruments were. Could i separate them, hide the board under the tank, and run jumper wires to each connection? Lots of work but it is winter. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the reply i haven't had as much time to devote to this thing as i was expecting but hopefully i can start sorting out wires and seeing where things will end up.  Kinda wondering if i'll run out of room to hide the cruise actuator and air ride controls yet. Im thinking i can only stretch out that tank so far to cover everything. 

• 1 month later...

Was looking through some articles at the hotrod web site and came across one about building a vacuum bed for forming one off parts. Might be an idea for replacing the plastics on these older (more mature) bikes

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/build-vacuum-forming-mold-make-plastic-parts/

Edited by Pro procrastinator