IGNORED

Help please - I stepped in it now - 1st fuel pump, now no starter

HELP -

So I went out to miss reliable 2007 RSV with 45,000 miles and got the normal fuel pump points issue. I ordered new points and while waiting for them to arrive I decided to "check for voltage to the points". I separated the two wire connector and stuck my probes in to check voltage. Turned on the key and saw a momentary digital run up past 7.?vdc and then nothing. I then hit the starter and nothing happened. pressing the starter gets a red idiot temperature light below the Neutral light. Did my kickstand down switch just go bad?

I am not good at troubleshooting electrical. I did check the ignition fuse and it is ok.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated

VentureFar....someday, but not today.

Edited by VentureFar

Sounds like it might be the kill switch or ignition switch, if you can see if you have voltage on the ignition switch side of the fuse you can eliminate the ignition switch. If one of the switches are bad you may be able to work them back and forth a couple of times to see if they will make contact.  Been awhile since I have troubleshot a staring issue but checking these wont hurt. 

Starting Circuit.JPG

Edited by etcswjoe

Thanks for this starting point. I do have an ignition switch relay, purchased from someone on the forum ( can't remember who but thanks) so I doubt it is the ignition switch. But I will try to figure out which side of the fuse you are talking about and check for voltage.

baby steps please 🙂

Thanks

VentureFar...

Thanks for this starting point. I do have an ignition switch relay, purchased from someone on the forum ( can't remember who but thanks) so I doubt it is the ignition switch. 

checked:    Have 11.53 vdc at the ignition fuse.

12.5 directly off the battery.

Now what?

baby steps please 🙂

Thanks for the guidance...

VentureFar...

Cheap quick test.  Turn the key on.  Watch the headlight dim as you squeeze the brake lever and hit the horn.  You will be able to tell if your battery is weak.  If you can not do this without the horn losing volume and the headlight dimming for 10 seconds... then suspect the battery.

1 hour ago, Du-Rron said:

Cheap quick test.  Turn the key on.  Watch the headlight dim as you squeeze the brake lever and hit the horn.  You will be able to tell if your battery is weak.  If you can not do this without the horn losing volume and the headlight dimming for 10 seconds... then suspect the battery.

I’ll stuff my air horns and give that a try. 
thanks. Kill switch is not the issue. Been rocketing it back and forth. Just Incase it had crud in it. 
VentureFar...

5 hours ago, VentureFar said:

where do I pick up the connectors to test the kickstand switch?

Thanks

VentureFar...

You are looking for a BLUE connector that has a black wire and a blue wire with a white strip on it.   There may be a pigtail connector on the left lower foot cowling,  otherwise the book shows that it is under the tank (easier if you just trace from kickstand switch through lower left foot cowl once it is off .  However, I am still thinking fuse or bad ground (cause it is easier, and it at one time cranked recently).  Also, the bike does not care about the position of the kickstand as long as you are in neutral and of course the neutral switch is working.  Did you get the Service Manual from here yet?

SIDE20141030_095944.jpg

sidestandsw.jpg

ssw2.jpg

starddiag.jpg

switches.jpg

Friends,

I just bought a house, we are moving shortly, I have 2 different dash cams and a new motorcycle phone mounting systems I have to mount and review.

I just don't have the time to hunt down what  will probably turn out to be a very simple reason. 

I am throwing in the towel. There is a local mechanic who usually does restores on bikes and antique cars that will troubleshoot it ( for a reasonable fee).

I have to go the "save time" route this time. You all are great for trying to help from a distance.

I will have AAA flat bed my RSV to Smitty's and see what happens.

I'll let you all know what we find.

Happy Holidays to one and all.

VentureFar...

Ok, never let an amateur touch your bike!  That would be me. 
I had the ignition fuse in my hand and determined it was good. Except my mechanic “smitty’s” in Portland Oregon found it was bad !

Never  let an amateur work on your bike🙂

The  fuel pump points I replaced fixed the original problem so all is good with the world  

Happy Holidays all

VentureFar...

• Like 1