IGNORED

New Jacket for Winter Riding

N3FOL

I've been shopping around for a new winter jacket.  I currently have a leather Joe Rocket jacket and it has served me well,  but it is looking too old on the exterior especially on shoulder area.  I was thinking of switching from Leather to Fabric type of jacket.  Any recommendations?  There is so many selections to consider...

Snowmobile suits work great. That's what I always use in winter riding. I have used both the 2 piece and one piece and both work great. Make sure to squat and that your ankles are still covered while doing so, when trying them on so your sure to have enough leg length when sitting on the bike.

1321549605_firstrideof2014b.thumb.jpg.1676610566f4c52b21d03377e1274fe0.jpg

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

My wife and I have  winter coats and pants from Nitro, purchased through Leatherup or Dennis Kirk(I don't remember for sure where) about 15 years ago. They have been phenomenal and they were quite affordable. However, on a quick search, it looks like the only new gear available from them are helmets and gloves. Maybe some MotoX stuff.

I do like XElement's mesh jackets but I don't have any serious cold whether gear from them.

Edited by luvmy40
  • Like 1

@saddlebum A snowmobile suit sounds like a great idea.  I have not tried something like that since I think it all comes in one piece.  Sometimes I ride in cold temps, but did not require anything for the legs.  Anything above 55°, I usually do not wear any cold gear below my torso.  Thank you for your input.

@luvmy40 I've heard of LeatherUp products and such.  I truly believe that leather gear on cold climates is the best way to go.  On the other hand, there are several good reviews coming out now that textile jackets are just as good and sometimes better minus the added extra weight.  My Joe Rocket leather has been with me for about 15 years also and I think it is time to try something else.  I've narrowed down my selection to Alpinestars and Firstgear and Klim.  

I recently picked up one of these made by Alpinestars:  https://www.chapmoto.com/alpinestars-amok-air-drystar-vented-textile-jacket-parent-0203207716101?msclkid=d80d919e63f8119b50dfce2461e3fc03&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP - Shop - TM - Protective Gear - %24300-1,000&utm_term=4580634168710250&utm_content=020-3207716-922-3XL | Alpinestars Amok Air Drystar Vented Textile Motorcycle Jacket - Grey 3XL 3207716-922-3XL | %24319.95#92=518&250=1084?utm_term=&identifiers=pla-4580634168710250&Campaign=**LP - Shop - TM - Protective Gear - %24300-1,000&CampaignId=380457658&AdGroup=020-3207716-922-3XL | Alpinestars Amok Air Drystar Vented Textile Motorcycle Jacket - Grey 3XL 3207716-922-3XL | %24319.95&AdGroupId=1232552739056471&AdId=77034656219681&Network=s

It has three layers, outer mesh, waterproof liner and then thermal liner.  I've gotten a few short rides in with it ranging from 90's temp w/out the inner liners to 50's with the liners in.  I like it.  It has elbow/shoulder protectors built in (maybe removable, not sure) and a soft back protector.  Not sure if this helps but size-wise, I'm always right at that medium feels tight & large feels big spot.  My jacket is a medium and fits comfortably w/out the liners.  W/ the liners, it naturally feels a bit tighter but workable.  I think my only negative is I would like the cuffs to cinch up a bit tighter so I can have my gloves go over them when it gets colder.  I supposed I could go the other way and cinch the cuff over the glove, but I haven't tried that yet.

Style-wise, a solid black would look better, imho.  This is a model from a few years ago and I'm sure you could find similar new ones in solid colors.

• Like 1

Your jacket looks very nice.  I have a similar design that I use for summer riding only.  It is a Joe Rocket Mesh jacket in bright orange.  @circa1968 What jacket do you use for cold weather?

As for my winter jackets, I have narrowed my selection further down to 3 specific models.  However, it is really hard to decide since I physically could not try them on before I make my final decision.  I really like the Dainese Dolomiti Goretex jacket, but they did not have the size I am looking for....so I requested the vendor to email me once that have my size available.  2nd on my selection is the Alpinestars Yaguara.  This jacket is really like the styling and the reviews for cold weather riding.  For this jacket, they have my size available.  I can't wait to place my order soon.  

image.thumb.png.a1efd0da916396dcfcd165440a5c011f.pngimage.thumb.png.35b8aa73fdf9c3026f3c57a442dce3da.pngimage.png.1bdb2ddf288a1a69949e5f22bde1afd9.png

5 hours ago, N3FOL said:

What jacket do you use for cold weather?

The Alpinestars jacket will be my cold weather jacket too.  But, cold being a relative term..... I live in Northern California (SF Bay Area), low 30's is about the coldest it gets here and that's typically overnight, warming to high 40's/low 50's during the day (at its coldest).  And at that, I'm a fair weather fan so much below 50 and I just don't have much interest in riding.  "Winter" is also our rainy season so cold/wet puts a damper on my desire to ride.  When I was younger, I commuted through it all on my moto but don't plan to do that any longer.

• 4 months later...

I don't know if you have already purchased since this was several months ago, but we have the Olympia jackets, similar in style to the ones N3FOL mentioned.  Similar in price to the Kathmandu, 3 layers as well, have been down as low as 29 with mine and with the seat and grip warmers I was fine, except the tops of my legs, still need to get their pants, just haven't done that yet.  

@dragonstorm Over the winter months, I did spend a lot of time shopping around on almost all the websites located in the US.  They have a lot advertised on their websites, but they did not have the correct size available for me...so I blame it on the ongoing Pandemic I guess.  It didn't really affect me so much, because I still have my Joe Rocket leather jacket that I have been using for the longest time now.  I told myself, I can wait until late summer and perhaps early Fall to start shopping again...and hopefully, Revzilla and other places out there may have my size.  :fingers-crossed-emo   I am planning to take a ride down near Philly and visit Revzilla's show room in the summer months.  Who wants to ride with me? 

• 6 months later...
On 4/15/2021 at 3:54 AM, N3FOL said:

@dragonstorm Over the winter months, I did spend a lot of time shopping around on almost all the websites located in the US.  They have a lot advertised on their websites, but they did not have the correct size available for me...so I blame it on the ongoing Pandemic I guess.  It didn't really affect me so much, because I still have my Joe Rocket leather jacket that I have been using for the longest time now.  I told myself, I can wait until late summer and perhaps early Fall to start shopping again...and hopefully, Revzilla and other places out there may have my size.  :fingers-crossed-emo   I am planning to take a ride down near Philly and visit Revzilla's show room in the summer months.  Who wants to ride with me? 

It's a big headache to find the right place for riding gears. I have been using viking cycle gears, pretty satisfied with them. Visit them, hope you will get the desired size from there. 

https://www.vikingcycle.com/collections/mens-motorcycle-jackets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarshallStone said:

It's a big headache to find the right place for riding gears. I have been using viking cycle gears, pretty satisfied with them. Visit them, hope you will get the desired size from there. 

https://www.vikingcycle.com/collections/mens-motorcycle-jackets

I still need gloves.  Just checked Viking and they are sold out.  Was at the Rally in Galveston over the weekend and no one had a size to fit me. I guess Thick hands and stubby fingers don't fit the style for makers any more. 

@MarshallStone I ride all winter long riding the RSV on not so cold days and the SVTC, when temps drop below 45°.  I honestly stopped shopping around for a number of months now but I plan to revisit my shopping online and hopefully take a ride to Revzilla in Philly before the end of the year.  Thanks for the link for vikingcycle.