IGNORED

Valve Clearance - Check and Adjustment question

Has anyone had the 16,000 Mi (25,000 Km) Valve Clearance Check done on the new Venture/Eluder?  And if so, did they need adjusted?  I'm getting close...

From what I've heard, on the new Venture, it is labor intensive.  I've found that most things on this bike are labor intensive and therefore expensive.  

I did mine at 15,000 miles. The job is not as bad as you think. The front coil bracket must be removed to remove the front valve cover. I can be a pain to get access to the front screw. I used a 1/4 inch drive ext about 16 inches long and and came down from the top by the handlebars. I put a little tape on hex socket for a tight fit otherwise screw will come off and good luck trying to find it.

There is a procedure for draining the tank in the service manual. Follow it.

The whole job took me about 8 hrs. Should be alot less next time.

A lot of work just to find out the valves did not need adjustment at this time.

Edited by sldunker
  • Like 1

I had mine done and had a front tire installed, the whole cost was close to 1700 it was the 16000 mile service.  Come to find out no the valves did not need to be adjusted.  If I recall correctly, Long Haul Paul had his checked at 50,000 and they were fine he hasn't had it done since had over 100,000 on it the last I heard.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Riding season is over for the winter here on the east coast.  I actually got an extra couple of weeks in this year.  Bonus!!!  Then, since I wasn't riding, had to do a bunch of stuff around the house to get ready for the snow, which fortunately still hasn't arrived.  My riding buddy showed up yesterday on his Wing.  Grrr!!!

Thanks for the input on the valves.  Mine is due in the spring and I'm not sure I want to do it, but then, I don't want to mess up the warranty.  I have 4 months to ponder on it I guess...

Merry Christmas...