IGNORED

Carb help please

I got home today and noticed a puddle of gas coming out of the exhaust on the bike and closer look I see 2 of the carbs are leaking. My knowledge of carbs isn’t too great I understand you have to sync them but on carbs I have worked on they had idle mixture screws. The research I’ve done and reading service manuals I can’t seem to find anything about it. Does this bike even have one on the carbs?? Can someone help shed some light on this issues I’m having?

Thanks

3DDF55EF-C61A-48BE-9EBA-240EF0BB31AB.jpeg

My first thought would be a stuck float in a couple of the carbs. Don't turn over the engine with the plugs it or it may hydro lock and cause damage! Need to turn off the peacock, pull the plugs and turn it over to get the gas out of the cylinders, then start to get at the carbs. Are you sure the gas was flowing out of the exhaust or just running along it? If it was coming out the exhaust, it may indicate some valve clearance issues as well, but that's just a guess.  

2 hours ago, BlueChips84 said:

My first thought would be a stuck float in a couple of the carbs. Don't turn over the engine with the plugs it or it may hydro lock and cause damage! Need to turn off the peacock, pull the plugs and turn it over to get the gas out of the cylinders, then start to get at the carbs. Are you sure the gas was flowing out of the exhaust or just running along it? If it was coming out the exhaust, it may indicate some valve clearance issues as well, but that's just a guess.  

I'll 2nd that, I have witness the results of a hydrolocked Tour Deluxe. Pull the plugs and clear the cylinders, reassemble the plugs and start it back up. I would take the handle end of a screwdriver and tap the bottom of the float bowls on the same side of the bike you found the fuel and see if that clears it up. Could be a little speck of dirt in the float and once it dislodges it could very well go away.

SO, the needle and seat valve is bad - (which is operated by the float). I would suggest 2 things.

1. DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE until you have checked the oil level - you could hydrolock the engine.

2. Rebuild or have someone else rebuild the carbs quickly. No amount of additive you add will fix the problem. There is a guy on the Royal Star forums on facebook that rebuilds carbs - he has an exchange program and is a member of this site. He also is known as the diamond cut guy. He does a great job and has carbs in stock to send.

SO, the needle and seat valve is bad - (which is operated by the float). I would suggest 2 things.

1. DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE until you have checked the oil level - you could hydrolock the engine.

2. Rebuild or have someone else rebuild the carbs quickly. No amount of additive you add will fix the problem. There is a guy on the Royal Star forums on facebook that rebuilds carbs - he has an exchange program and is a member of this site. He also is known as the diamond cut guy. He does a great job and has carbs in stock to send.

This is who can help

:325: YES I AM "THE DIAMOND CUT GUY"

check out my site below

WWW.THEDIAMONDCUTGUY.COM

feel free to click on my e-mail below rather than pm please

royalstarventure03@yahoo.com

I agree with the theory that you have a stuck open or not fully seated float. If it is coming out through the exhaust (does not necessarily mean a bad exh valve as suggested the engine could just be on its exh stroke were by the valve would be in its normally open position. Normally if a float bowl is overfilling the gas should be coming out of the overflow tubes unless they are pinched closed or plugged with dirt. If the gas is coming out the exhaust then it is also getting into the crankcase.

Don't bother checking the oil just drain it  because it is likely contaminated with gas. Shut off the petcock (or pinch the fuel line if the petcock is seized). Pull the plugs and crank the engine to get rid of any gas in the cylinders. Put a rag over the plug holes because any gas coming out of the plug holes will shoot out pretty good.

Check your overflow tubes to the float bowls and make sure they are clear, if not clear them.

Open the petcock or unpinch  the fuel line and watch for fuel coming out of the overflow tubes. You may have to turn the key on several times to run the pump. If fuel leaks out remove the carbs and perform the necessary repairs

If no fuel comes out  and your sure you have all the gas out add a table spoon of oil to each cylinder and crank it again. finally replace plugs and install new oil and filter. You should be able to fire the bike up and let it idle watch your overflow tubes again for any gas coming out while idling.

If at any point you notice gas coming out you will have to remove the carbs and properly repair them.