IGNORED

replac'n the oil cleaner

dueyk1111

oil cleaner is the oil pan. from tightening the drain plug to tight the expansion n contraction of get'n the motor hot, where the drain plug screws in, it cracked. so when i  looked up the part n orderted it, it was called the oil cleraner. from the pic there isn't anything fancy or complicated to it, but thought i would ask.🙄

I have not replaced one on this end also, but if you are going to replace that large piece of aluminum, you will have to perhaps replace and order a gasket as well.  Just speculating.  There might be several bolts that you will have to torque to recommended spec.  See what Yamaha recommends to replace.  If there is a gasket, go ahead and replace it.  The job looks to be straighforward.  Good Luck.  

13 hours ago, Freebird said:

OK...I got it.  I've never heard it called that but you never know what Yamaha will call things.  Sorry though, I've never replaced one.

Yeah, Yamaha nomenclature sometimes seems irrational.
Yamaha calls the oil pan on the First Generation XVZ "COVER, strainer".
Go figure.

1 hour ago, N3FOL said:

I wonder what it is called on the SVTC and Eluder.  :confused24::cry:

Somewhere in my long life of back yard wrench spinning I picked up the slang for the "Oil Cleaner" or "Strainer" as calling it an Oil Pan and, right or wrong,, that stuck.. @N3FOL, Tip, Tweeks and I made the run out to Lake George/Americade for the unveiling of the new bike and then out to Sturgis that fall to demo them so we had a pretty good chance to look em over. Here are a couple vids of the SVTC/Eluder under glass from Sturgis.  I do not recall seeing an "Oil Pan" on the new 113 in all that crawling around them/checking them out, I did actually look for one on a demo bike at Sturgis cause I really wanted to check the temp on it with my temp lazer gun cause the factory guys had told me Yamaha had found a new way to control oil/engine temps on their new air cooled engine. I may be wrong, and it would not surprise me one bit to find out I am on this cause it was pretty tight under there for my fat head, but something tells me your scoot does not employ one. 

• Like 2

I work in the service division of a Japanese manufacturer in a different industry.  The service manuals are written in Japanese by Japanese engineers and translated to English by people who are not engineers and often have no idea what the engineers are actually saying.  Sometimes the translation is......interesting as to word choice.