IGNORED

Help?!?!?

Ok so new to the site new to the bike and struggling with our local DMV here in Mn. They want a engine number  as well as the vin number to put the bike in my name........... can anyone tell where it would be? I think I may have found it, but not sure........

• Like 1

If you found a number stamped onto the engine, that's it.  I know on my 83 I have an engine number, It's not handy for me to go look, but I recall seeing it stamped into engine.  Whatever you see on it, give to the DMV.  Not like you're trying to pull one over.  Good luck, and stick around.  There are some great smart ones that keep me running. 👍

Heyyyy,, @Jesusjunkie ,,, I'm a Jesus Junkie too,, WELCOME TO VR!! 

I have never owned a 2nd Gen like yours but I got a gut feeling there is pretty good chance your Engine Number will be in the same place as that on my 1st Gens. While Michigan does not require that number and I have never really gone looking for it I do believe it located across the rear of engine right in behind the top of the forward bevel gear..  If you look at this video about stator testing, go to 13:17 on the time line and stop. Look at the bolt head that my red ohm meter lead is attached to. Now look directly behind the bolt and plate sticking up the bolt secures and you will see some of the numbers. 

Thats all I got,, hope it helps!!

Puc

This is my first big touring bike. Also it’s been 15 plus years since I have any bike. I’m super excited for the snow to melt come spring. I’m already looking at a mini camper trailer for it since it is all set up for that. Yeah, she definitely does not like the mud, gets a little squirrelly for sure........

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I just returned from another disappointing is it to the DMV. Seems they didn’t like the engine number I gave them, lol. So I’ve been trying to put this b8ke in my name since before joining this site. Apparently it’s 11 digits long with letters and numbers both. No body seems to know where it is, 5 try’s later the bike is still a struggle.........it’s also not the same as the vin #, folks at the dmv can tell me what it’s not, but that’s the extent of there help.

I've looked on this site and the internet for you, no luck.  Ya hate making it up, might get rejected and open a whole new can of worms. 

If I were you, I would call a Yamaha Dealer in MN and ask them for advise. 

Surely they can point you in the right direction.

Is this an out of state transfer? That's the only time the Ohio BMV wants to match engine and vin #s. Even then, they accept several third party agency affidavits and the last OS transfer I did(also on an '06 RSV) the inspector didn't even look at the engine. She just verified the VIN matched the NY title and signed off.

Ok so I did call the local dealer they had no idea either. Making one up yeah, probably would blow up in my face, lol. I found 2 more numbers just now 1 matched part of the vin#. If one of these don’t work............... anyone wanna buy a bike? LMBO! Just kidding. Might try to find a way to register her in another state though............can’t believe how much Minnesota makes this stink for us.

Omgosh........ yes I found that number yesterday same spot. Mine was covered by the rear tail pipe just out of site. Also a little wired our numbers are super close, lol. I also just called it in to Yamaha corporate office and they verified it for me. Also for anyone who struggles with this in the future they can help us with factory original numbers. If engine has been replaced they can’t help obviously. They were supper nice, and helpful.  I will hopefully get back to the dmv today and get and get title and registration done. I thanks to everyone for all the help.

image.thumb.jpeg.e89623876a157b1990ad8c4efabb41ac.jpeg

• Like 2