IGNORED

Well, It finally Happened!

skydoc_17

Two weeks ago, I sent out my shop Shim Kit with a set of new gaskets, like I always do. On the weekend of the 24th of October it was returned to me in a timely manner. Only this time, there was white and RED USPS Tape all over one corner of the box. I was immediately worried as I have NEVER had the Shim Kit Box returned to me with any trouble what so ever. When I opened the box, to my horror I saw that the outer case that the shims were in was crushed! Even worse, when I opened the outer case, there were a half dozen canisters that would normally be filled with shims EMPTY!!, and a large hole in the bottom corner of the box. (Where the USPS Tape was on the outside. Luckily, the Bucket Tool was still in the case but it looks like between 35 and 55 shims were lost in transit! The Forum Member who returned the Shim Kit to me filed a claim with USPS as soon as I contacted them. To his credit he has been all over USPS and I was contacted to bring the Shim Kit with all of the packaging to my local Post Office for inspection. Which I did. The Post Master and I have been doing business with each other for the 12 years I have been a member of this forum so he made short work of the Inspection and the forms that needed to be filled out. My standard procedure was to insure the kit for $200.00 and request that the kit be insured when it was returned. After over 100 trips back and forth across the country, the Insurance finally paid off. The claim was approved, and I should be receiving a check in the next week to ten days. I am now in the process of replacing the outer case, and tearing down a few motors I have here at the shop to harvest the shims from. The supposed cause of the damage was the Priority Mail Box got caught in the "Barcode Reader Machine" and was destroyed during the scan of the Barcode. I can only imagine 55 Valve Shims raining down like ping pong balls, and rolling across the floor! They will be skidding on those puppies for the next five years,,,,,I hope! I have attached a few pics, because as we all know... It didn't happen if you have NO pics.  Enjoy.

Earl

DAMAGED REPAIRED BY USPS 10-2020.jpg

DAMAGED SHIM KIT BOX 10-2020.jpg

INSIDE BOX DAMAGE 10-2020.jpg

MISSING SHIMS 10-2020.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Earl has been great loaning his kit to anybody who needs it.  If he would be kind enough to provide his PayPal email address, I think that we should all help by sending him 5 or 10 dollars each to help replace them all.  How about it earl, where should we donate?

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone! I am a bit embarrassed and humbled at the offer. It was NOT my intension to ask for money for the replacement of the shims, but merely to vent my frustration with the loss of the Shim Kit that I have been adding to for the  last 12 years! LUVMY40, I have received your donation, and I thank you very much! Jason, I am willing to buy your shims to replace the lost ones as well as pay for the shipping. my friend! RDawson, my dear friend, it was MY pleasure to loan you the kit. I just wanted to ad that the reason I started loaning the Shim Kit was to give my fellow VR.ORG Members the COURAGE to do this Service themselves instead of taking it to a dealer where you have NO idea the quality of work that is being done to your scoot. Not to mention that the price for this service at a dealer is a rip off! To everyone that has borrowed the Shim Kit, my hat's off to you for being brave enough to do this service yourself. I believe that projects like this service allow us to "Bond" with our bikes, and allow each one of us to take PRIDE in the fact that we are maintaining these special motorcycles ourselves. The Shim Kit comes with EVERY tool you need for the service, and I even include a set of Genuine Yamaha Valve Cover Gaskets when I ship the kit. This Shim Kit will perform the Valve Adjustment Service for both First and Second Gens. 

My Paypal email address is:  earlfharrell@atlanticbb.net     and I assure you that any money or shims donated will be used to make my loaner shim kit even better than it was before! 

Thank you everyone for your support, as I said earlier, I am Humbled to be a part of such a wonderful "Family" and the owner of such a great machine that brings me so much pride and pleasure!

Earl

• Like 3

Earl has helped many of us here. If any one who has benefited from the use of his kit would send a shim or pitch a few bucks for the purchase of a new shim it would be a great way to "pay it backwards". This is the time of year where many of us are doing winter maintenance during down season. Doing this will make the shim kit available quickly and better than ever. I know that I have used the kit and the convenience of not having to go hunt down shims was priceless beyond measure. PayPal sent.

On 11/6/2020 at 5:14 PM, skydoc_17 said:

... I just wanted to ad that the reason I started loaning the Shim Kit was to give my fellow VR.ORG Members the COURAGE to do this Service themselves instead of taking it to a dealer where you have NO idea the quality of work that is being done to your scoot. ...

Speaking of "courage"....I have over 101,000 km on my '09 and haven't checked the valve clearances yet.  Have heard people say you should be safe up until around 100,000 MILES.   If something I should do over this winter....keep me in mind once you rebuild the kit.  Do you ship the kit to Canada?

The valves will be just fine right up to the point a catastrophic failure.I checked mine at 60K miles and about half were out of spec, Yes It would probably lasted to 100 K before it blew up, But checking and adjusting the valves is a lot cheaper easier than rebuilding the heads.

Out of curiosity....if I were to request the shim kit over the winter....possibly end of December....are there other members in South Western Ontario that would be interested in doing theirs as well?

@sleepy2 @Wizard765 @Grez007 @saddlebum @stickhandle2 @animal575 @Midicat @Uthred @dusty roads @racerguy36 @Barry.B @dogman @DonnyRudeDude @CALEDON @Not That Guy @Grey Wolf @Evan @Brownie57 @Scifiman @herb1 @Barnie @rickv

Think I listed the members in the area to see if there is interest.  Hopefully @Marcarl would be interested in providing his proven and respected input, his guidance in putting most of the parts back on the bikes... 

For those interested... PM me and we can either set this up as a "come see how it is done", or a "roadshow" where we visit those interested in doing it with assistance...or if you just want to do it yourself....  We could take donations for postage/insurance and to add to the kit.  

With the outpouring of support, I wanted to give you an update on where we are with the rebuilding of the Shim Kit. I purchased a new Plano tackle box to replace the broken one from Dick's Sporting Goods. It arrived today, and I have attached a pic. The reason I chose this particular tackle box is because it would fit in a USPS Medium Flat Rate Shipping Box. With the shipping and Insurance running around $18.00 each way, I didn't want to go to a larger box because of the increased shipping costs. It's a tight fit, but I am able to get around 120 shims and all of the tools I send with the kit so that the inspection/install can be done. I have brokered a deal with Jason M. (a VR.ORG Member) who has very generously sold me shims to add to the new kit at a fraction of the cost of new! I spent the entire weekend tearing down two motors I had to harvest the shims. Today, I received a "Mystery Package" from an unknown VR.ORG member with 20 shims in it.  Whoever you are, Thank You Very Much! The VR.ORG Club made a very generous donation to the rebuild of the Shim Kit, I think we ALL know who to Thank for that! For ALL of the members who donated to the Rebuild of the Shim Kit, I Thank each and every one of you Very Much. With the arrival of the shims from Jason M. I think the Shim Kit will be back in business. 

Because of the way our engines "Mature", the valves sink deeper into the cylinder head, decreasing the amount of clearance between the top of the valve stem, and the bucket that contacts the cam lobe. When there is NO more clearance, the cam lobe will bend the valve stem OR the valve will rip the camshaft out of the cam tower. Either way, the result will be that the head will need to be rebuilt or replaced which means the engine will need to be removed from the frame. Both of these projects are very costly to say the least. The checking of the valve clearance, and replacement of the bucket shims can be done without removing the engine. It is also a great time to replace those leaking Valve Cover Gaskets. I'll let everyone know as soon as Jason M's shims arrive.

Thanks again for everyone's help, I'll keep you posted,

Earl

NEW PLANO SHIM KIT BOX.jpg

• Like 3

In another forum that I belong to we have a traveling box that also ships Med flat rate. We had a stainless steel box made up so that it would be USPS proof. It just fits inside of the flat rate box so no packing at all needed. When it has jammed in the machinery it stopped the USPS machines but the box survived with just a small scratch/dent. Just a thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flyinfool said:

In another forum that I belong to we have a traveling box that also ships Med flat rate. We had a stainless steel box made up so that it would be USPS proof. It just fits inside of the flat rate box so no packing at all needed. When it has jammed in the machinery it stopped the USPS machines but the box survived with just a small scratch/dent. Just a thought.

I was thinking something similar @Flyinfool.  I was thinking a Military Surp Ammo Box, those suckers are tough as nails.  I think a 556 NATO would probably do it.  @skydoc_17, I am so sorry to hear this happened but really glad it is all coming back together my friend!  THANK YOU for all you have done/do for our club!! 

I would be interested in checking mine also! (with help thanks) Dealer checked(so they said years ago) at 60.000klms (now at 106,000klms---corrected mileage from another previous post of higher mileage--sorry) and have had a leaky gasket since. Been going to get done BUT price and time kept me from doing it. Just kept an eye on wiping down leak. Willing to help with shipping and new gaskets. When--where--let me know! Have old single snowmobile trailer that I could lend if needed--depending on weather and where you want to do this operation! Can make room in my garage with notice if needed.

20180303_092930 (1).jpg

20180303_092943.jpg

KqNNZkQYNu5.css

8 hours ago, XV1100SE said:

That garage looks familiar.  Carl renting out his garage now?

Not that Carl is aware of, but it is available at times for repair and maintenance. NO! I didn't say storage, just so you get the picture almost right. It gets kind of busy in here sometimes, sometimes that is due to things that need doing (bikes and related), sometimes units have 4 wheels, and sometimes my Missus requires the cutting and reformatting of wood products (don't know why I ever bought a saw),,,,, and then sometimes it's just got to do with being retired and not a 'round to it"

I'm thinking to buy a new tool, (my last one broke somewhere and the shims never came back) and some shims that can be used on this side of the border, more specifically in Brantford, if you will. I'm thinking on it.

58 minutes ago, RDawson said:

WAIT!!!!!  Did I really see a Venture on a trailer in this thread? Travesty....... Travesty I say. 

It's a phigmond of your imaginermiration. The trailer was there, the bike needed a place to rest, it looked better at a higher elevation, and the straps just added color. Happy now?   

Sorry for confusion!!

1--bike is on trailer because I had to drop off at Carl's and drive truck. Changed hand grips I think as it has been a while but it wasn't that I couldn't drive it. Carl also told me it was overkill by me using that amount of straps .

2-- I meant my garage not Carl's       which is where I took picture.   Carl's doesn't need time to clean which as some know mine does(full most of time)(Carl says hording) working on mounting snow blower onto grass cutting rider right now.

3--also trailer use available depending on when and if snow on ground can get it where it has to go.

So am still interested in this.Need gaskets and assistance from knowledgeable people! At Carl's if available or "roadshow" as you said.

I’m a little too far away to run up and help so have fun with the party. Earl’s kit will hopefully be up and running soon, it’s a HUGE help being able to just swap shims while your there instead of running thru it multiple times swapping them around. I followed the instructions here and the job was a breeze compared to some of the horror stories I’ve seen. I sent a little @skydoc_17s way to help get it going.