IGNORED

Update about the new Site

Freebird

OK folks.  Just thought I would update you on the new site.  I'm generally happy with it but what's more important is that you are.  I think it's an improvement over the dated system that we had been on for many years.

For the most part, I am done in regards to functionality.  I'm still working daily behind the scenes tweeting some things that most of you won't even notice.  There are also still a few things I will be adding over the coming days and weeks but it will take time.

I know that there are a few things missing and some of those will likely never be back.  One example is the Country and State flags.  There just isn't anything available to add those at this time.  If it becomes available, I will add them back of course.  Writing a special program to add them is outside of my capabilities and it costs a lot to have something specially written.  Sorry, it's just not worth the cost for something that is basically just eye candy.  I can tell you that I've spend considerable money on all of this already.

So, I sincerely hope that you are happy with it so far.  I realize there is a little bit of a learning curve but I don't think it is too much and some things are actually easier in my opinion.

As always, I am open to your comments and requests.  If there is something that you are especially missing, I will try to see what I can do but can't make any promises.

A couple of things on my list for the near future is getting our memorials page rebuilt and possibly another classifieds system.

Looking good so far boss. And I am not even as confused or as intimidated as I  feared I would be. Great job hope you take the time to slip in a few ZZZZZ's while your at it.

Oh still can't figure out how to turn this [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]  back into its former picture in my signature line.

Edited by saddlebum

Another thing that I have come to miss is the post numbers. Having the posts numbered makes it easy to reference someone back to a specific spot in a very long post. Especially useful when someone asks a question that was answered in the middle of a 100+ long thread.

4 minutes ago, Freebird said:

Well it looks like somebody gave this thread one star so obviously not everyone is happy.  Sorry, doing the best I can. 

It's fine brother, if they don't like it, they're welcome to leave. I know how much time, effort and money you put into the site, both past and present. Thank you for all you do to keep us connected.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Freebird said:

Well it looks like somebody gave this thread one star so obviously not everyone is happy.  Sorry, doing the best I can. 

I have not "Rated" the new look, but just like every other time a forum I frequent made changes, I hate the new format. And, just like every other time, I will get used to it and be happy again!

Change is inevitible and usually a good thing. That doesn't make it any easier to take at first, but that's just my stuborn streak raising it's ugly head.

I totally. understand.  I want to make it clear though.  This was not change just for the sake of change.  The server software was outdated.  The system we were using would not run on the newer software.  I had gotten notice from the hosting company that the old PHP software was at "end of life" and was obsolete.  That created security issues with the server and I was told I had to update or the site would be taken offline.  That's the long and short of it.   I completely understand their side of it and my choice was to update the site or take it down.  Taking it down was not an option for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Looking good so far boss. And I am not even as confused or as intimidated as I  feared I would be. Great job hope you take the time to slip in a few ZZZZZ's while your at it.

Oh still can't figure out how to turn this [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]  back into its former picture in my signature line.

Click on the arrow beside your username at the upper right.  Click on Account Settings.  Scroll down until you see "signature" in the left menu.  Just delete the [siGPIC} and then add a new one from the editor bar.

26 minutes ago, Freebird said:

Stars? there's stars? Maybe one star means your number 1. You are in my book. Besides How can anyone rate a site when your not even done fine tuning it. If I can be patient and give it some time to prove itself anyone can. Now get some ZZZ's before you fall of the chair. So far its looking great BTW.

Edited by saddlebum

39 minutes ago, Freebird said:

Click on the arrow beside your username at the upper right.  Click on Account Settings.  Scroll down until you see "signature" in the left menu.  Just delete the [siGPIC} and then add a new one from the editor bar.

Hey @Freebird, I’m not seeing people signatures under their posts like before. Is one of my settings wrong?

It depends.  What are you using to view the site?  If you are on a computer, you should be able to see them.  If you are on a phone or maybe a pad, you can't.  I have them turned off on phones and etc. so as not to take up too much screen space.  I can turn them on if people prefer.

51 minutes ago, Freebird said:

Got it thanks again

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Freebird said:

etWell it looks like somebody gave this thread one star so obviously not everyone is happy.  Sorry, doing the best I can. 

36 minutes ago, Squidley said:

It's fine brother, if they don't like it, they're welcome to leave. I know how much time, effort and money you put into the site, both past and present. Thank you for all you do to keep us connected.

Picture a man,, laying in bed peeping thru tired eyes and just finishing up watching the news thru his Fire Stick stream on YouTube on his bedrooms 52 inch tv when his mind starts wondering if his clubs new site is navagational thru the Fire Stick web browser thingy.. Being the curious type, he punches in Venturerider.org and WHALLLLAAAA,, he is home...  Now he notices the Boss posted a new thread about the clubs site update he has been slaving over so he runs the little blue Fire Stick ball over to that thread and gives it click. He likes what he sees and desperately seeks to type in a response that reads "heyyyy you lop eared @Freebird varmint, is the club still going pass out awards and honor badges to those who have served or is that a thing of the past?" when he discovers that for some reason, his Fire Sticks keyboard does not pop up.. Being one to never wants to (insert the little pot stirring guy cause that same person, me, still aint found that little icon he loves) cause the Boss more grief than he has already got himself into by tackling such an undaunting task as this updating thing is,  the varmint just aborts the entering a message process and shoots the little Fire Stick blue ball up to give the thread and its creator a 5 star standing ovation. Being stubborn, that little blue ball is not exactly over the 5th star but, due to that Fire Stick  having a mind of its own,, the ball was over on the 1 star on the left instead of the 5th star on the right when I clicked it. Being tired and perhaps even a little lazy I just shook my head and went back to sleep.  I am back on my laptop now and just tried to correct that rating but am not sure that it worked. Either way,, know that  you are a 5 star Bossman if there ever was one!!

@Squidley,,, pretty tough talk from a varmint picking on a varmint who has a direct com line with a varmint on the other side of the pond from him who is in the process of producing a large supply of finally perfected WWW that does not melt until it reaches 65 degrees especially when the varmint your pickin on is heavily invested in that particular concoction that @Flyinfool has now perfected.. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, cowpuc said:

Picture a man,, laying in bed peeping thru tired eyes and just finishing up watching the news thru his Fire Stick stream on YouTube on his bedrooms 52 inch tv when his mind starts wondering if his clubs new site is navagational thru the Fire Stick web browser thingy.. Being the curious type, he punches in Venturerider.org and WHALLLLAAAA,, he is home...  Now he notices the Boss posted a new thread about the clubs site update he has been slaving over so he runs the little blue Fire Stick ball over to that thread and gives it click. He likes what he sees and desperately seeks to type in a response that reads "heyyyy you lop eared @Freebird varmint, is the club still going pass out awards and honor badges to those who have served or is that a thing of the past?" when he discovers that for some reason, his Fire Sticks keyboard does not pop up.. Being one to never wants to (insert the little pot stirring guy cause that same person, me, still aint found that little icon he loves) cause the Boss more grief than he has already got himself into by tackling such an undaunting task as this updating thing is,  the varmint just aborts the entering a message process and shoots the little Fire Stick blue ball up to give the thread and its creator a 5 star standing ovation. Being stubborn, that little blue ball is not exactly over the 5th star but, due to that Fire Stick  having a mind of its own,, the ball was over on the 1 star on the left instead of the 5th star on the right when I clicked it. Being tired and perhaps even a little lazy I just shook my head and went back to sleep.  I am back on my laptop now and just tried to correct that rating but am not sure that it worked. Either way,, know that  you are a 5 star Bossman if there ever was one!!

@Squidley,,, pretty tough talk from a varmint picking on a varmint who has a direct com line with a varmint on the other side of the pond from him who is in the process of producing a large supply of finally perfected WWW that does not melt until it reaches 65 degrees especially when the varmint your pickin on is heavily invested in that particular concoction that @Flyinfool has now perfected.. 

It’s all good my friend.  The bottom line though is I know I will never please everyone.  I’ll continue to try though. Thanks for owning up to it though. :)

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Freebird said:

It’s all good my friend.  The bottom line though is I know I will never please everyone.  I’ll continue to try though. Thanks for owning up to it though. :)

You bet brother!! Quite frankly, YOU are one amazing individual that deserves a standing ovation of the 5 star type for all you have done, past/present/future, in creating such an amazing adVenture for ALL of us who call your creation home!!  You are appreciated and loved for all you are and all you do @Freebird!!  I am also 100% all in with @Squidley on his from the heart/soul advice too,, for those who are not pleased (and I know it happens) looking elsewhere on the net may be best thing for them but I wish them the best in finding the family type environment you and your staff seek to create and have been successful in creating here on VR.  

Puc

• Like 2

Still trying to figure out which, what how this lets me find my way around. But I understand its kind of like trying to make anything run on windows 98. One of my Victory sites I frequent had to change over a year or so back. I'm still tryin to figure it out.

12 minutes ago, djh3 said:

Still trying to figure out which, what how this lets me find my way around. But I understand its kind of like trying to make anything run on windows 98. One of my Victory sites I frequent had to change over a year or so back. I'm still tryin to figure it out.

Acch, don't worry about it so much. Just click on some buttons and see what roads it takes you done,, kind of like motorcycle riding somewhat more or less.

And don't worry about breaking something, if it does break and the whole site goes down,, nobody will know. Nah, not to worry about that either, there is nothing YOU can do to make that happen,,,,,I don't think,, well if it could happen it would have broke long ago, with me fooling around here.