IGNORED

XVZ1200

larrydr

I bought a 1983 XVZ1200 from a friend in late 2019 ..

I am going through the bike from the front to the back.

I do not ride any bike till I work my way through it repairing as needed . ( it cost many  $$$$ )

I have been riding since 1964 and prefer to buy a bike in as is condition then rebuild it  .

I did notice 2 very different punch marks behind the engine number not sure what the punch marks are for

He had a custom built trailer hitch mounted on the rear which I have removed , it was well built and fit the bike nicely ..

I have removed the hitch and I am wanting to sell it .

I live in Morden , Manitoba

• Thanks 1

You have a really good friend cause he sold you one of the FINEST touring bikes to have ever been produced..

You will have a lot of fun going thru that might machine.  Take your time and relish every amazingly well built aspect. 

You are very smart for going thru any motorcycle carefully before you ride it. Murphy's Law dictates this.

You have an amazing history with motorcycles! We would love to hear about some of your great adventures!! 

You have very good eyes for someone riding since 1964. Those punch marks may mean the stator was updated.

He must of pulled a trailer with his MK1 Venture at one time. This is no surprise, MK1's are amazingly torquey!

You should put the trailer hitch in the clubs parts for sale section where these lop eared varmints will find it and buy it.

You should move over near Marcarl's cause as soon as this Covid stuff is over he is going to cook hamburgers for all of us!!

1 hour ago, larrydr said:

I bought a 1983 XVZ1200 from a friend in late 2019 ..

I am going through the bike from the front to the back.

I do not ride any bike till I work my way through it repairing as needed . ( it cost many  $$$$ )

I have been riding since 1964 and prefer to buy a bike in as is condition then rebuild it  .

I did notice 2 very different punch marks behind the engine number not sure what the punch marks are for

He had a custom built trailer hitch mounted on the rear which I have removed , it was well built and fit the bike nicely ..

I have removed the hitch and I am wanting to sell it .

I live in Morden , Manitoba

Hopefully the punch marks are denoting that the 2nd gear issue has been fixed. 

• Like 2

The speedometer registers 168000 , but I found the speedometer cable and housing in poor condition ..

My thinking is that it may have more ....

I replaced the clutch basket bushings .

It runs great , but I did find gear shift linkage problem ..

If I need to pull the engine I will  ..

Compression is good , and the motor is quiet ,only I hear a noise coming from the shaft that runs through the trans to the clutch when it is not in gear .

I am inclined to agree with Marcarl. There was a tech bulletin out  years back that the second gear was  an issue. Yamaha was repairing these under warranty at the time and the tech was required to place the two punch marks after the repair to indicate that the repair was performed 

Edited by saddlebum

This is enlightening,, have any of you lop eared varmints ever seen another MK1 1st Gen with punch marks indicating the tranny was repaired? One of my 6 had the Punch Marks but also had a failed 2nd gear tranny in it. It did have the upgraded Stator oil bath though so I was under the impression that the punch marks were to indicate the Stator update.. Does any one know if there was a recall on the tranny?  If so, that is new news to me and great news!!  A friend of mine owned the Yamaha Dealership here in Muskegon (Boston Motors) and I remember him having gobs of updated stator splasht plates to perform the updates on the MK1's with but do not recall him even mentioning having the same for the  tranny.  Lets get @Prairiehammer involved in this and see what he thinks.. Kevin knows a lot about this stuff.. I also have all the recall info associated with the MK1's that came with Tweeksis - her previous owner (person named DenDen) did a remarkable job of gathering info. I will take a peek if I get some time and see if I can find out anything there.. Wow,, I feel,, I feel,,, YOUNG AGAIN learning something new here if its true!!

Edited by cowpuc

The SINGLE punch mark was indeed supposed to be done by the dealership when the stator cooling mod was performed.
I have never seen TWO punch marks on the crankcase. I do not know what that is about.
There was never a "recall" for the transmission fix. And it was not a warranty claim.

M84-025, page four of four.jpg

M84-025, page one of four.jpg

M84-025, page three of four.jpg

M84-025, page two of four.jpg

M85-014 Transmission Diagnosis.jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer

1 hour ago, cowpuc said:

I also have all the recall info associated with the MK1's that came with Tweeksis - her previous owner (person named DenDen) did a remarkable job of gathering info. I will take a peek if I get some time and see if I can find out anything there..

@cowpuc
I knew DenDen from the Venturers Club. Indeed he was the First Gen Venture guru. I would be very interested in his info.

Edited by Prairiehammer

8 minutes ago, Prairiehammer said:

@Cowpuc
I knew DenDen from the Venturers Club. Indeed he was the First Gen Venture guru. I would be very interested in his info.

Hi Kev!!  THANK YOU for your time in responding to the question about the punch mark,, although sort of a let down cause I was really hoping there was some truth to the whole idea that Mom Yam may actually have had a recall on the tranny, in my heart I suspected your answer.  The fact based truth is always still appreciated.. Now I am wondering though if maybe the Canadian bikes got different attention? Is that a possibility from your experience?  

Concerning "DenDen" and the info I have that he gathered about the bike.. Is there something I may have that you would like me to take pics of so you would have access to it?  Larry ( @Carbon_One ), who is a good friend of mine and who was steward over Tweeksis between DenDen and myself, forwarded all DenDens info gathering work to me when I purchased her from him. I did actually call DenDen's home phone (I found his number on numerous reciepts) to thank him for all his attention to detail. Do to health issues on his behalf at the time I did not get to speak directly to him but was ablei to speak to his wife who told me she would pass on the huge "THANK YOU" I offered to him.  The only thing missing in all the paperwork that Larry gave me is an Owners Manual for a 2nd Gen that I found in DenDen's Paperwork.  After checking with Larry and getting the thumbs up, I forwarded that Manual to another one of the clubs members (another friend of mine named @videoarizona I believe, who is also a lop eared VR club member) who I noticed was in need of one.  My plan is/was for all of Tweeksis's paperwork that DenDen gathered to remain with her as it is all such a great part of her history.  While I have shipped a LOT of her sisters parts (the original Tweeks) all over the world by donating them to those in need so she could still be found, even if in pieces, still out CTFW - I have no interest or plans of doing the same with Tweeksis.  It appears that she will be our last and final Venture, a perfect #6.. 

On another note, I noticed this earlier and passed it on to @VentureFar in another thread and he thanked me for it so I will pass it on to you. Perhaps @Freebird should pin this message so it gets noticed..  When you use the "@" symbol to summons your favored club member you can no longer just type in the @ and then the name. That wont work.. You have to type the @ and then watch under where you are typing and click on the name you want from the selection of names that will appear, after doing so the varmints name you are summoning will appear highlighted in your text.. In other words, @Prairiehammer does not = @Prairiehammer now.. Its a simple change, and actually a welcome one cause it makes trying to figure out how to summons people with spaces in their screen names simple, but one that probably everyone should be made aware of. Just an FYI brother.. 

Always a pleasure!

Puc

Hi guys ...I am new to the Venture ( I am learning as I go ) ..............Regarding the 2 punch marks ..                                                                                1   Dot

1 punch above the engine number above the at the end of it and the other punch at the end of the engine number below it ..xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

# 2...star

I rode a XV1100 Virago for 10 years , wanted a better ride because of the spine injury I have

2 hours ago, CaseyJ955 said:

I've also read that the double punch mark meant 2nd gear fix, maybe it was Vmax related info but 1st gen Vmax and Venture share the 2nd gear issue.  I'm not sure what else it could mean.

Welcome!!

I cant help but wonder if the 2nd punch mark is for the update on the water pump. I have replaced numerous plastic water pump impellars in my course of retiring 6 1st Gens with the updated aluminum one .  Possibly one punch for the stator and one for the water pump as it is possible that there was a recall on the impellar,, could be wrong though.  

• Thanks 1