IGNORED

Had to push start the Goldwing today.

etcswjoe

I decided to ride the Goldwing to work today instead of the Venture, not a wise move. When I went to leave the Goldwing turned over but would not start, however it push started just fine. I rode home and the bike has started every time since.  I had a similar issue a year ago but all you had to do was put it in gear and nudge the engine a little then hit the start button and it would fire right up.  I attributed the issue last year to the batteries age but not sure now, the battery is only a year old and I actually had to get someone to help me push it to get it started.  

Any clues as to what the issue is?

2012 GL1800 35K. 

That appears to be a weird problem.  The battery is strong enough to turn the engine over but the engine won't fire???  I think I would check the battery voltage sitting and also when the engine is running to see if the voltages are high as expected.  12.6 sitting and 14 charging.  Perhaps load test the battery?  I don't know.  Weird!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, etcswjoe said:

Just tried to start it and got an error code of 19 which says it is the crankshaft position sensor, the part is only $50, but with the Goldwing I am sure it is not easy to get to. 

I have seen this issue many time over on GL1800riders.com. The sensor it self is not hard to get to, it is in behind the front timing cover,  it is the connector at the end of the harness that is hard to get to. It is down in the abyss below the shelter, as I recall getting to it is similar to getting to the air filter, but maybe a bit worse, airbag models I am told are the worst one to deal with.

If mine goes bad I am going to add a waterproof connector in to the harness behind the timing cover. probably something like these because of the small form factor.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/jst-jwpf.html

I will also say folks have had their bike's throw that code and it was just a bad battery, it does not take much to spin the GL motor over, but if the battery voltage dips to low when the starter is spinning the electronics  for the ignition and fuel injectors will not work and the bike will not start. Have the battery load tested as the first step in troubleshooting.

• Thanks 1

Starting when it is pushed is the weird thing when it won't start when cranked with the starter.  Seems like if it was the sensor, it wouldn't matter.  But, when it comes to electronic stuff, you never know.  Perhaps there is some resistance/corrosion in the sensor connection preventing it from getting enough voltage when the starter motor is drawing down the voltage.  wild guessing here?

• Thanks 1