IGNORED

Wiring of add on leds as running/brake lights

I know I can get a run-brake-turn module for around $100 but would it work to add some led dual intensity lights on the bottom of my bags and wire into my brake assembly to act as running lights and brake lights along with main light. My brake assembly is already led.

OK easy enough to do, but are you asking how to do it or what type lights to buy?

I make a breakout harness that installs under the seat so you can easily tap into the rear lighting without having to cut into the bike's wiring, see my add below. Maybe this helps.

• Like 1

Yeah M61A1MECH, I'm just looking at alternate ways to increase my running rear visibility at night and brake light during the day. My current rear brake light is an led panel and the rear blinkers are stock I believe. I just bought a dual intensity light/license frame with three wires i am going to add. I also was thinking about adding some cheap dual intensity leds for the bottomof the bags and having them wires as running brake lights too. That would give me 4 separate lights for run and brake and leave the blinkers for turn but replace with red bulbs of course if they were run/brake. I know, pretty jacked up i guess. Your thoughts? And how much for that harness?

1 hour ago, revpat said:

Thanks for that @revpat. Not sure what bike you’re using that on.

Remember the “wig-wag” modules seen on a lot of wings?  Wish I could find a way to adapt that for my SVTC. The electrical system is CANBUS so I’m not certain it would t cause an issue.

10 hours ago, revpat said:

Yeah M61A1MECH, I'm just looking at alternate ways to increase my running rear visibility at night and brake light during the day. My current rear brake light is an led panel and the rear blinkers are stock I believe. I just bought a dual intensity light/license frame with three wires i am going to add. I also was thinking about adding some cheap dual intensity leds for the bottom of the bags and having them wires as running brake lights too. That would give me 4 separate lights for run and brake and leave the blinkers for turn but replace with red bulbs of course if they were run/brake. I know, pretty jacked up i guess. Your thoughts? And how much for that harness?

I actually have two options on the wiring for you, The one Ilinked to above was for the 1999 to 2013 Venture and 1996 to 2001 Royal Star , here  is the one for the Tour Deluxe, 2005 to 2010, it is $16.00 delivered in the lower 48.

The other option is to use some bullet connector adapters I make that will plug in to the brake and tail light wires at the triangle housing behind the license plate.  A pair ( one for brake lights and one for tail lights) would be $10.00 delivered in the lower 48.  With either solution you would need to run some wires from the bike to you new lights.

I did a similar set up on my 2007 Venture, but I mounted the dual intensity LEDs between the saddle bag rails and the fender.  Here is a link to where I bought mine, they make two different mounting bezels, one for flat and one for side, this link shows the side mount. https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Tecniq-EON-Red-Clear-LED-SMALL-Stop-Tail-Light-Motorcycle-ATV-Black-Ver-Case/293139609955?hash=item44407b7963:g:kYIAAOxyUrZSpjrA

The Royal Star Tour Deluxe does not use CanBus. it is straight 12 volts DC direct wired. 

One additional question.

What year model Tour Deluxe do you have, Yamaha marketed a Tour DeLuxe model with the 1996 to 2001 standard Royal Stars and then again as a stripped down version of the Venture from 2005 to 2010.

Oh also you noted in one of your first posts that you had red turn signals, those are not stock, all Royal Star line models came out of the factory with amber turn signals.

11 hours ago, ChiefGunner said:

Wish I could find a way to adapt that for my SVTC. The electrical system is CANBUS so I’m not certain it would t cause an issue.

I do not believe the SVTC has actual CANBUS, when I was designing my trailer harness set up I talked with the local Yamaha dealer's service manager about that and we looked at the wiring diagrams together and found no evidence of an actual CANBUS controller or computer.  There may be something in the ECU that senses voltage anomalies and sends some sort of alert, but that is not really CANBUS.  Where Electrical Connections and I plug into the rear lighting for the trigger source for the trailer isolator is a 12 volt line that goes direct to the bulb, so you should be able to interrupt the brake circuit there for that  LSC-100 modulator and not cause a problem. That modulator is $5.00 if it does not work,  take it out and put the wiring back as it was. Someone will buy the modulator off you. 

7 hours ago, M61A1MECH said:

I do not believe the SVTC has actual CANBUS, when I was designing my trailer harness set up I talked with the local Yamaha dealer's service manager about that and we looked at the wiring diagrams together and found no evidence of an actual CANBUS controller or computer.  There may be something in the ECU that senses voltage anomalies and sends some sort of alert, but that is not really CANBUS.  Where Electrical Connections and I plug into the rear lighting for the trigger source for the trailer isolator is a 12 volt line that goes direct to the bulb, so you should be able to interrupt the brake circuit there for that  LSC-100 modulator and not cause a problem. That modulator is $5.00 if it does not work,  take it out and put the wiring back as it was. Someone will buy the modulator off you. 

Thanks @M61A1MECH.  Having a modulator that is only hooked to the trunk brake light is not a big deal. I was really asking  more about a “wig wag” module.  It causes all the lights to flash in a zig zag pattern before all going solid. I’ve seen them mostly on wings. Do you know what I’m referring to?

24 minutes ago, ChiefGunner said:

Thanks @M61A1MECH.  Having a modulator that is only hooked to the trunk brake light is not a big deal. I was really asking  more about a “wig wag” module.  It causes all the lights to flash in a zig zag pattern before all going solid. I’ve seen them mostly on wings. Do you know what I’m referring to?

Yes I am familiar with them,  I find some of the more bizarre patterns to be distracting I prefer a  strobe then solid. My Goldwing may be annoying to some, as I have two different patterns of 3 fast then three slow before going solid on all my brake lights. I have changed the OEM bulbs out for LEDs with built in modulators and my light bar in the spoiler and a custom one under the trunk are on a SC-100 modulator that does 3 and 3 and solid, but at different frequency that the tail lights, so I have quite a light show. Having been rear ended once on a bike because the person did not see my brake light come on, I am not taking any chances.

• Like 1

I have always gone by the belief that a bike can not have to many lights. With that said, You do not want to confuse the driver behind you. To many blinking lights in an unknown pattern may make that driver hesitate for a split second to long trying to figure out what the lights mean.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Flyinfool said:

I have always gone by the belief that a bike can not have to many lights. With that said, You do not want to confuse the driver behind you. To many blinking lights in an unknown pattern may make that driver hesitate for a split second to long trying to figure out what the lights mean.

That’s a very good point @Flyinfool. Maybe just having the trunk light flash and then go solid is good enough.  I have an XKGLOW Pro Chrome led package on my bike @ trailer so that no matter what color I’m running the whole bike goes RED. Very hard to miss. This would just be an added. Probably tie one into the spoiler light on the trailer too.

Edited by ChiefGunner