IGNORED

more brake trouble Help!!

there is a rubber formed line with a braided appearance that seems to go from the rear master cylinder, it has two clamps, one at each end, it is about 5 inches long, ....

mine blew ahole in it today and smoked like crazy, I was just pulling in the driveway when it went, getting the bike ready for ride for Dad charity run tomorrow, but I guess that is not gonna happen now.

can you tell me what this hose doies and if I can ride with out it , and how do I get a new on e....

thanks

gord

there is a rubber formed line with a braided appearance that seems to go from the rear master cylinder, it has two clamps, one at each end, it is about 5 inches long, ....

mine blew ahole in it today and smoked like crazy, I was just pulling in the driveway when it went, getting the bike ready for ride for Dad charity run tomorrow, but I guess that is not gonna happen now.

can you tell me what this hose doies and if I can ride with out it , and how do I get a new on e....

thanks

gord

It is the feed from the reservoir to the master cylinder. No you can't ride without without it. I believe it is still available from the dealers & listed at less than $13. at Flatout Motorcycle.

will order one tonight if I can, I kinda figured that was what it was, and not be able to ride with out it :-(

oh well, maybe I will get to go on the ride next year, grrrrrrrrr

last year the damn thing was overheating and I missed it .

thanks again for hte quick response

gord

HI THERE,

THERE ARE THREE LINES THAT LEAD FROM THE REAR MASTER CYL. THE FIRST IS THE BRAKE LINE THAT GOES TO THE REAR CALIPER. THE SECOND WHICH IS SHORTER IS THE ONE THAT GOES TO THE FRONT LEFT CALIPER. (THIS IS THE "LINKED" BRAKE SYSTEM) BOTH OF THESE LINES HAVE THE "BANJO" FITTINGS ON EACH END. THE THIRD LINE IS THE LINE THAT GOES FROM THE MASTER CYL. RESERVOIRE TO THE REAR MASTER CYL. THIS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS HOSE CLAMPS ON IT. THE SMOKE YOU SAW WAS THE BRAKE FLUID LEAKING OUT THRU THE RUPTURED LINE DOWN ON THE EXHAUST COLLECTOR. IF YOU HAVE AN OLD FLEXIBLE BRAKE LINE, YOU COULD CUT A SECTION OUT OF IT AND MAKE THE REPAIR. BECAUSE THE BRAKE SYSTEM IS A RELATIVELY HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM, I DON'T THINK GAS LINE WORK FOR THE LONG HAUL. PERHAPS YOUR LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE HAS SOME HIGHER PRESSURE LINE. HERE IS A LINK TO SOUTH SEATTLE SPORTS.:sick:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com

ONCE YOU GET HERE, SELECT YAMAHA, MOTORCYCLE, 1984, FVZ1200DL OR WHATEVER YOUR BIKE IS, THEN SCROLL DOWN THRU THE DIFFERENT PICS TO THE REAR MASTER CYL. DIAGRAM. THE PART IS ITEM #8, THE PART NUMBER IS 26H-25895-50-00 AND IS $13.59 USD NEW.

SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT KNOW OF A BETTER FIX OR HAVE A USED LINE YOU COULD BUY. AT LEAST YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE UP AGAINST.

EARL

Edited by skydoc_17
SPELLING...OOPS!

HI THERE,

THERE ARE THREE LINES THAT LEAD FROM THE REAR MASTER CYL. THE FIRST IS THE BRAKE LINE THAT GOES TO THE REAR CALIPER. THE SECOND WHICH IS SHORTER IS THE ONE THAT GOES TO THE FRONT LEFT CALIPER. (THIS IS THE "LINKED" BRAKE SYSTEM) BOTH OF THESE LINES HAVE THE "BANJO" FITTINGS ON EACH END. THE THIRD LINE IS THE LINE THAT GOES FROM THE MASTER CYL. RESERVOIRE TO THE REAR MASTER CYL. THIS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS HOSE CLAMPS ON IT. THE SMOKE YOU SAW WAS THE BRAKE FLUID LEAKING OUT THRU THE RUPTURED LINE DOWN ON THE EXHAUST COLLECTOR. IF YOU HAVE AN OLD FLEXIBLE BRAKE LINE, YOU COULD CUT A SECTION OUT OF IT AND MAKE THE REPAIR. BECAUSE THE BRAKE SYSTEM IS A RELATIVELY HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM, I DON'T THINK GAS LINE WORK FOR THE LONG HAUL. PERHAPS YOUR LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE HAS SOME HIGHER PRESSURE LINE. HERE IS A LINK TO SOUTH SEATTLE SPORTS.:sick:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com

ONCE YOU GET HERE, SELECT YAMAHA, MOTORCYCLE, 1984, FVZ1200DL OR WHATEVER YOUR BIKE IS, THEN SCROLL DOWN THRU THE DIFFERENT PICS TO THE REAR MASTER CYL. DIAGRAM. THE PART IS ITEM #8, THE PART NUMBER IS 26H-25895-50-00 AND IS $13.59 USD NEW.

SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT KNOW OF A BETTER FIX OR HAVE A USED LINE YOU COULD BUY. AT LEAST YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE UP AGAINST.

EARL

Any flexible brake hose or any hose that will resist brake fluid, such as neoprene will work. There is no pressure on that hose. It is just a gravity feed from the reservoir to the master.

Dick :):)

Fixed again!!!! Oh, don't forget------ ONLY use DOT3 fluid in there. Now find an all night parts store and get that thing fixed for the ride!!!!! Then replace it as soon as you get the new one in. That's why I ordered new ones for my rebuild project.

:080402gudl_prv:

Dan

Oh, don't forget------ ONLY use DOT3 fluid in there

Why only use DOT 3 ? DOT4 (or even DOT5/5.1 if it says on the bottle that it will mix - ie not that funny Citroen silicon stuff) should be absolutely fine. Surely the higher numbers will give more protection against brake overheating and fade.

The differences are not so great in practice, although I had thought DOT3 had pretty much disappeared. According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_3 it's use is hanging on in the US though, for some reason.

The hose you are talking about is a formed hose, so to replace it with a straight piece is asking for trouble. A straight hose in that short of distance is bound to kink and so not let any fluid through, there is no pressure there, so you need free flow. Mine would be parked if I lost it.

It will only kink if it is too long or there is movement, which there isn't. Don't try and over complicate a piece of pipe.

A nice thick bit will look right and last for years, but anything that doesn't dissolve will do just fine for now. It certainly won't go brittle in the time that you wait for the postman.

Find a piece of hose to fit it and ride. I would go to a parts store and find a hose the same size. If need be buy a brake line the same size and cut a piece out of it to fit in there. The bends in it are not enough to make it kink. You could order the formed one latyer if it made you feel better. I wouldn't

Recommended DOT3 because the fluid has probably never been changed,,,,,, best to leave a change in fluid type till you can change it all out. Just my opinion (:whistling:), but definately do not use DOT5! 3,4 or 5.1 are the only ones compatible.

and I tried a piece of straight gas line that I had in my shop from an old Chevy and yep, it kinked, so I parked and will order a new one tomorrow.

This is all totally my fault, I put the exhaust back on and for "rust" reasons did not have the heat shields off the back header pipes . I guess I am gonna have to take the exhaust back off and install the shield and might as well go all out and install the new gaskets as well, does anyone know where I can get a set of of exhaust gaskets ?

awesome help and awesome site, thanks

gord:322:

and I tried a piece of straight gas line that I had in my shop from an old Chevy and yep, it kinked, so I parked and will order a new one tomorrow.

This is all totally my fault, I put the exhaust back on and for "rust" reasons did not have the heat shields off the back header pipes . I guess I am gonna have to take the exhaust back off and install the shield and might as well go all out and install the new gaskets as well, does anyone know where I can get a set of of exhaust gaskets ?

awesome help and awesome site, thanks

gord:322:

Not knowing, which gaskets you plan to change, here is the listing for all.

GASKET,EXHAUST PIPE 3GD-14613-00-00 (replaces 90430-38054-00) Qty 4 @ $3.64 (Head Output Gaskets)

GASKET,EXST PIPE 26H-14613-01-00 Qty 2 @ $11.08 (Upper Rear)

GASKET, EXST PIPE 3JJ-14623-00-00 (replaces 26H-14623-01-00) Qty 4 @ $18.21 (Collector inputs)

GASKET, EXHAUST 4 3JJ-14653-00-00 Qty 2 @ $10.48 (Rear Output)

These are current prices @ Flatout MC (CDN dealers will be much more).

You may be able to use these # at an independent shop for cross reference of aftermarket gaskets, at a better price yet.

http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Yamaha&year=1984&fveh=80