IGNORED

Lowering front forks with or without Baron's lower kit

revpat

I'm considering lowering my front forks on my 2007 RSTD for better footing when stopped. I'd like to get as much as I can without adversely affecting  the handling.

Question: How is the Baron's lowering kit different than lowering for free without the kit? Seems the kit will go 1.5 inches vs less than an inch without the kit. Is the process similar? I notice Baron's says you must "trim the spacer 1.5 inches" during the install. I weigh 180 and always ride solo (wife won't ride) so I could possibly remove the air valves if need be.

Thanks for any tips and thoughts!

REV I am probably way out there on this cause I have never owned a RSTD nor ever done the Baron's lowering kit on one but isnt the Barons a lowering kit for the rear suspention, accomplished by swapping out the rear suspention dog bones and then lowering the forks to match the rear dog bone lowering kit? If my amature guess is correct, it sounds to me like you would only be lowering the front forks by doing as you suggest. This would not accomplish the same lowering effect that the Barron's kit would if I am thinking correctly. Lowering the front forks alone is fine but, at least on my track bikes I found this, doing so does effect steering geometry because it directly effects "trail" IMHO..  

Yep, after reading other posts I was going to try and lower just the front. Many seem to say this helps with low speed handling. I may end up lowering the rear as well I just wanted to start with a cheaper option (free/$25 vs $200). Thanks for your input cowpuc.

Go the cheapest/easiest route 1st to see if that does the trick for you. You can always go to the more expensive option later.

Do not raise the tubes any higher than 7/8". I actually would recommend 3/4". The reason being, the ears on the lower fork sliders that the fender bolts to will hit the lower fork tube covers that are attached to the underside of the triple trees and damage the covers.

If you need to go lower on the front, then the spacers are the way to go. That's whole other topic that could be discussed later if needed.

Lowering the front allows for better handling in slow maneuvers. Not a lot, but better. Changing out the front tire to a 130 improves the handling even more.

I have had 4 RSV's over the years and tried probably every option you can think of. I found that although lowering the rear made it easier to be flatfooted, the slow speed handling was sluggish. I settled on lowering the front 1 1/8" (internal spacers), using a 130 front tire and modifying my seat so it sat 1/2" lower and a little narrower in the front.

Thanks for the input. I didn't mention but I have an Ultimate seat and even though it says on their web site same height as stock I know it kicks me back in the seat and makes it a little harder to put down at a stop. So I don't really want to modify the seat. 

Does anyone have a link to details instructions or video on lowering the front forks for free?

• 1 month later...