IGNORED

Quick tire size question

So I needed a set of tires for my 2000 RSV, and I like what I've heard about the Pirelli Night Dragons. I ordered a front already, and had it installed, and I'm getting ready to order the rear when I came across a problem. I could've sworn that they made a tire in the stock size for the rear, but they do not. The closest I can find is a 170/80-15, which I'm assuming is roughly 20mm wider? I cannnot find the actual dimensions anywhere to see if it will fit on the rear of the bike without rubbing. My questions are

1) Does anyone know if it will it fit?

2) Does anyone happen to have the inflated dimensions?

I have the Dunlop E3 on there now, and I was going to measure from it using 10mm (20mm div by 2) then add approx 5-10mm for tire flex, so approx 15-20mm. I know tires in the same category size will have varying dimensions, so this is at best an educated guess. Still kinda pissed at myself for making this mistake. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I've searched multiple times to see if there were any posts in here about this, but couldn't find any relevant, so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Thanks,

Jeff-

Edited by Airtime262
added more

Looking at the Pirelli web site the only 15" Night Dragon rear tires they're showing are the 180/70 and 200/70. If you're finding a 170/80 it might be old. You don't have to worry about tire flex because your clearance problem is at the drive shaft housing, not at the road where the tire flexes. A 170 might just fit but the wider tires definitely won't. There is also the problem of getting the tire between the drive hub and swing arm, although you can force a bit wider tire in there if you deflate it.

And yes, in theory a 170 is 20mm wider than a 150. And yes, the different manufacturers measure differently.

Consider putting on the Pirelli MT 66 Route, it's available in the size you need. When I had my shop I installed a lot of them and my customers liked them.