IGNORED

1983 Venturee Forks, Oil Lock Stuck in Outer Tube

Folks,

I am rebuilding the forks on an '83 Venture. I got the bike real cheap and it is all there, just in need of some love.

It appears the last person to work on the forks installed the "Oil Lock" upside down. Both are jammed tight. I assume that is the reason the forks went clunk-clunk. Any recommendations on how to get them out? Heat the heck out of the outer(bottom) tube until it falls out? Use a brass drift? Both? Anyone with some experience doing this?

Thanks

Frank

ps I have seen warnings about this and I bet it happens because the Yamaha parts list shows it upside down.

Hiya Frank!! Puc here..

Frank I dont know a lot about these things but have rebuilt the forks on a couple of my 83's a couple of times and seriously,, for the life of me my pea sized brain can not recall any parts in there being referred to as an "oil lock".. It may be worth while for you to take a peek at this link: https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004247cf8700209bc787e42/front-fork

and scroll thru the fork break down and see if you can locate the part(s) you are referring to in there and identify them by part number before someone who really knows what they are doing shows up and tries to assist.. I only say that cause I did do a quick rundown of the parts in that list and saw nothing there referencing an oil lock...

Let me know if the link does not work for you and I will gladly try something else..

Puc

Frank,,, just an FYI...

IMHO,, the original fork springs Mom Yam sent in these 83's are/were Ink Pen springs at best.. If your springs are sacked and have never been replaced with Progressives that could cause bottoming out which would be heard as clunk clunk clunk when hitting bumps.. Also though,, loose neck bearings can do the same.. One thing about forks bottoming out,, if that is the case,, when they are bottoming, the clunk you hear is related to the part you are working on... In the shop I always referred to that as valve damage,, fork damping valve damage - not to be confused with engine valves... You may want to check all parts down at the bottom of the fork upper tube for damage too.. Also,, while you have it down,, run the tubes thru the upper bushings and look for wear or check the bushings with a set of verniers before reinstalling.. Freshen em up while your there if you plan on riding it.. You will be glad you did!!

Glad you got it apart!!

Puc

Puc,

Thanks for your interest. Right now my interest is to make this bike rideable and safe at the minimum cost. My main ride is a '90 GL1500, reliable as a mom. I have this '83 Venture and 2 other Ventures I am putting on the street because I like V4 engines and old touring bikes. Once I know it, or one of the others is reliable, I might think about improving it. For now, it is an interesting project. I also have an ST1100 for the curves and a PC800 for trips to the store. Enjoying being 76 and having the time to do this.

Frank