IGNORED

Exhaust hose for the garage?

SilveradoCA

The party is about to end up here; I've been smelling winter in the air for a month, and this week looks to be the end of the nice weather, so now we begin 6 months of freezing in the dark.

Time to tear down Cherry and do all the work I've been talking about since I bought her in 2018.

What do you guys use for exhaust hose to route your exhaust outside the garage in the winter? Commercial hoses sold for shops are comically expensive, and I'm clownishly cheap sometimes. This is one of those times.

I've often though about getting me one of them there hoses, but then I would have to crimp other purchases somewhat, and food is kind of important, even in the winter time. So I just do as I always do, and crack the garage door open a couple of inches when I need to. Seems to keep most of the smell away.

Here in Michigan USA Menards lumber yard is my go to place for everything from Sleeping bags to Brussle Sprouts (in season LOL).. I have used thier sewage hoses for years to do what you are planning.. Personally, if I were you I would get the bigger size as shown below and make a cardboard extension on the end of the exhaust to extend a couple feet inside the hose,, this will help alot to keep the plastic from melting should you decide to run er up in the r's for extended periods of time and also protect your pipes from melted plastic in doing the same.. I just take card board, wrap the pipe, duct tape the cardboard at the pipe (not to it) and slide the sewerline over the cardboard.. If you build up the card board carefully you can get it so you dont even need a clamp to hold the pipe on.. May not right,, may be ugly but works great and its cheap.. The extra diameter of the pipe also allows for exhaust expansion so you dont have to worry about back pressure

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/pumps-tanks/pump-well-tank-accessories/1-1-2-sump-pump-drainage-kit/sk2200-0000/p-1444451528633-c-8672.htm?tid=-1&ipos=2

I picked up a couple pieces of 2.5" expandable aluminum duct from amazon a few years ago. They scrunch down to about 4 feet long for storage and extend to a bit over 8 feet long. I just crack the door enough to stick them out and hang a beach towel to block the draft. It works well enough. I've never left it running like that for more than a few minutes but I've done that a dozen or more times over a couple winters with no issues.

Edited by luvmy40