IGNORED

1996 RSTC to 2007 RSTD question

So last year I bought a used 1996 Royal Star Tour Classic which I have enjoyed but recently saw an ad for a 2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. I traveled to see it and ended up buying it. My question is why do they seem like totally different bikes? weight, size, seat height (has Ultimate seat), handling, even engine power.

The '07 has Harley slip-ons but it's not really very loud. However, there doesn't seem to be near as much power from the '07 as my '96. What's up with that? I read the '07 has more HP but it doesn't feel that way, especially low rpm torgue. I'm wondering if those slip-ons have changed the power band and it now has less torque. I realize the '07 weighs more too.

Also, there is a lot of vibration in the grips. It does have upgraded grips (not sure what brand) so I'm wondering if it doesn't have the weighted ends now. I know that would make a difference. It's a beautiful bike (red/black) and I love the removable shield and cruise control but I'm only 5'8" and it seems a little harder to maneuver at stops and slow speeds.

Any thoughts on all this?

Maybe it's not running on all four?? Might seem like it, but pull off the plug wires one by one to check for sure.

Ok, thanks I'll check that tomorrow. How exactly do you do that? I also believe it is overfilled with oil as when completely upright the oil overs the entire peep hole.

The first thing I would do is to lower the oil level down to half glass, then check the intakes to makes sure the air filters are clean and the intake areas are clean. Then I would remove the spark plug wires and just lightly seat them on top of the plugs so that with an insulated pair of pliers you can lift them off easily. Then I would start the engine and get it warm so that it will idle nicely, and then with the insulated pliers remove a plug wire, one at a time. You can take the wire off and put it back to notice any difference in the running of the engine. If the cylinder is running well, then you'll notice a pronounced miss, put the wire back and the cylinder should recover, then move onto the next one.

Report what you find.

For the price of new plugs and air filters, I would just change them anyhow to set a baseline. Definitely drop the oil some as well. Also make sure that all of the intake boots from the air box are seated properly, it is easy to get one pinched up.

I have the same bike, a 2007 RSTD and it hauls butt with a twist of the throttle.

If it were my bike,, knowing that I never fill beyond half way up the window and it was reading high, especially covering the window I would have the oil drained and checked for fuel/coolant quicker than you could ride a five gear wheelie on a CR250... Unless you have a habit of over filling the case, running your scoot with contaminated oil is not a good plan IMHO..

The engine definitely has problems. It should be way stronger than the 96 and you should not be feeling vibration in the handlebars. If you are changing plugs, check the compression while you are at it just to make sure the engine is healthy mechanically. it's always possible that it has been hydrolocked.