IGNORED

FJ1200 or ZX11

mgdawson

Looking for input...I'm considering a 1986 fj1200 with 70000 miles on it for $500 or a 1990 zx11 with 24000 miles on it for $1000. Both bikes have sat a couple years but appear to be in decent shape for their age. I've owned 5 yamaha's but have never ridden a Kawasaki. Opinions would be appreciated...Thanks!

Dunno...never rode either, but back in 86 when I didn't have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of...that FJ1200 was on my dream wish list.:biker:

I was riding a 1975 xs500 in 1986...and this was THE bike to have ...so it has a certain draw

Looking for input...I'm considering a 1986 fj1200 with 70000 miles on it for $500 or a 1990 zx11 with 24000 miles on it for $1000. Both bikes have sat a couple years but appear to be in decent shape for their age. I've owned 5 yamaha's but have never ridden a Kawasaki. Opinions would be appreciated...Thanks!

I have been riding since 1964 and have had about every make of bike out there ...upon either trading or buying a different bike I always done a thorough checkup of any bike I decide to ride ...I would never just go out buy a bike and start to ride without a thorough checkup... All makes of bikes have their strong points and some weak points , but never trust when someone says that it is in perfect condition ...Even if you are not a mechanic , there many simple ways of checking the little things that can go wrong when you go out onto the road ...

• 1 month later...

These two bikes are in different categories of riding. The fj has always been a sport-touring bike while the zx11 was more sport bike. It is true the later versions of the zx11 have become viewed as sport-tourers, they still offer more sport when compared to the fj. More cramped riding position, harsher ride, physically smaller and lighter. 

The zx has more bottom end grunt and an incredible top end charge. The fj is supposed to be smoother with its power delivery. 

I own a ‘93 and a ‘99 zx11d and have never owned an fj

I also own an ‘85 and a’ ‘92 Yamaha venture royale

A zx11 with 24,000 miles is easily worth $1000

My 2 cents

"What is Both for $1500, Alex". 

Fix them both and sell whichever doesn't make you smile when you walk into the garage.  Personally, I've always loved the looks of the FJ.  As I am a bigger guy, I would look like a parade Shriner on the ZX11.

RR

• Like 1