IGNORED

Help with Key Code for lost keys

Hello all and before I get into my issue I just want tobsay thanks for all of your hard work and the collection of knowledge that's been amassed here. Ive taken advantage of a few things from this site without having a need to post a new thread and I appreciate the time and money its saved me immensely.

I bought his 97 RSTD and have been having a blast with it.

Now though I've got a conundrum. The usual story of lost keys. My granddad sent 2 set with the bike when i bought it but like a dummy I've misplaced both. Ran on one set for over six months but now they're MIA too.

After looking over the forums available I've found what i think is the code on the underside of the gas cap vanity cover but out of the 7 total characters i can see only 4 clearly. The other 3 are rubbed off with age and wear. Any idea how to dial in those last few numbers? Or somewhere i can look besides the underside or back or whatever of the ignition switch?

Thanks ahead of time for your time and any help at all.

[quote=wh15k3yj4ck;1085686

After looking over the forums available I've found what i think is the code on the underside of the gas cap vanity cover but out of the 7 total characters i can see only 4 clearly. The other 3 are rubbed off with age and wear. Any idea how to dial in those last few numbers? Or somewhere i can look besides the underside or back or whatever of the ignition switch?

Thanks ahead of time for your time and any help at all.[/QUOTe]

I didn't know that .. Learn something new every day.. I know on the 1stGens the code is under the ignition custer and harder to see even when it's removed from the frame... Maybe a Yamaha dealer might be able to help with the vin?? Good luck finding those keys..

I was told by a mechanic friend that the dealer should be able fo look it up by the VIN but after talking to the nearest Yamaha dealer they either really cant or just dont want to.

I even called the dealership listed on the original certificate of origination from when the first owner got it new and they couldnt or didnt want to help one bit. Both only tried to sell me a new switch. And while that might end up being my only chance at salvation I'm not ready to give up yet.

I'm still looking but I've also already been looking for almost 2 weeks so i don't have a lot of hope of finding the keys. Its just frustrating that I've got the key code now but can decipher it because of the wear.

Thanks for the responses and the well wishes though guys.

I believe the code is actually stamped on the ignition switch itself. IF you can get that out the code should be there.

Thats what I've come to understand as well. Trying to see if theres anything else i can do before i go to trying to beat and scrape some type of screw head into the break off bolts or just drill them out. Can't see another way to get the ignition off

I was told by a mechanic friend that the dealer should be able fo look it up by the VIN but after talking to the nearest Yamaha dealer they either really cant or just dont want to.

I even called the dealership listed on the original certificate of origination from when the first owner got it new and they couldnt or didnt want to help one bit. Both only tried to sell me a new switch. And while that might end up being my only chance at salvation I'm not ready to give up yet.

I'm still looking but I've also already been looking for almost 2 weeks so i don't have a lot of hope of finding the keys. Its just frustrating that I've got the key code now but can decipher it because of the wear.

Thanks for the responses and the well wishes though guys.

Don't beat yourself up! I still can't find the LICENSE PLATE for my '86 Royale! I finally gave up and got a new plate.

Just a shot in the dark. Try calling a few locksmiths. I had a friend lost his car keys and a locksmith was able to pick the ignition and then make a new key from that. His other keys at home still fit so he did not change the lock.

Start calling a few dealerships to see if you can find one that will help or at least confirm that it can be done. Then you will know for sure if the local dealer just does not want you as a customer.

My brother in law bought a trunk off of Ebay to put on his nomad, when it arrived there was no key for it. He contacted the seller and was told that he didn't have a key for it. I had a couple of key blanks for a venture so I took a tumbler out of one of the helmet locks and inserted the blank into it and measured, marked, filed and continued until no lock tabs protruded from the tumbler. I then took that blank to a hardware store and had them cut both sides of the second blank from the one that I had filed, the key works great. It takes time and is tedious but you only need to file one side of the blank then have a new one cut with both sides matching your filed key. Took me about 45 minutes or so to file it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ron