IGNORED

looking to buy 2008 Yamaha Stratoliner S

cwtart

Anyone have any experience or comments about the 2008 Yamaha Stratoliner S? I am looking to buy a good used motorcycle for my Florida only bike. Getting real tired of trailering my motorcycle back and forth between Florida and Wisconsin so I want a bike I can leave in Florida.

I have found several of these bikes on cycletrader.com for anywhere from $4500 to $6500. I am used to riding my 2008 RSV with my wife on the back and riding my Triumph when by myself so would like to know how the Stratoliner compares 2-up with the RSV.

Edited by cwtart

I owned a 2007 Stratoliner before my Venture. I had no issues with 2up on it and sometimes I wish I still had it .

The Venture is a comfort machine but is a little top heavy.

For cruising I would go with the Venture but just for everyday riding around, the Strat would be my choice.

Not a Strat, but I owned a 2001 Road Star. Like the Venture and all Yamaha bikes I've owned and loved, it was good looking, well built and well finished.

That big engine was a gem; torque like a diesel, nice sound, low redline. The bike handled well for it's size, being quite low. Also like the Venture, it was not much for carving corners, but the floor boards made nice sparks.

If you like the looks of the Strat and find one well kept, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Being a 'Nam Vet' we have no concerns about you being able to handle the 'Strat.

However, that 'Nam Vet' designation (congrats 'n kudos, btw) strongly suggests you're no Spring Chicken.

It's a great bike, with good looks and an awesome sound - with or without muffler enhancements. BUT... the Beggar is pretty top heavy. To a point where in our late 60s and early 70s, we began having difficulties keeping it from being a bit uncomfortable riding slow, OR even more so doing tight turns.

Something you might consider. Wish we could offer you more, but this 77 yr old mind doesn't have much left in the File Cabinet.

Rgds, WRIDR

It's a great bike, with good looks and an awesome sound - with or without muffler enhancements. BUT... the Beggar is pretty top heavy. To a point where in our late 60s and early 70s, we began having difficulties keeping it from being a bit uncomfortable riding slow, OR even more so doing tight turns. Something you might consider. Wish we could offer you more, but this 77 yr old mind doesn't have much left in the File Cabinet. Rgds, WRIDR

Yes, I am no longer a spring chicken - just turned 70 last week. But I have gotten used to the top-heaviness of my 2008 RSV, especially with a passenger. I just use different riding techniques when going slow and stopping-starting - no front brake when the fork is turned. I figure the Stratoliner can be no way more top heavy than the RSV.

And thanks for the kudows - I spent 3 tours in Viet Nam but I was in the Navy on a guided missle cruiser shooting down migs and picking up downed pilots - did not have to pound any ground. My admiration goes out to the guys who spent their time in-county dodging bullets.