IGNORED

Dead Battery Possible Short

Electrical Experts,

Rode my 86VR 2 weeks ago for about 80 miles. No issues, charging was normal 13.8 - 14.2 volts.

Bike was sitting outside with a cover on.

Went to ride last Saturday and I got nothing, checked the battery and it was completely dead, no volts.

Pulled the battery yesterday and placed on a charger overnight.

Took a charge and held it all day.

Installed battery this evening to start trouble shooting.

Bike started right up with no problem.

No warning lights and charging at 14.2V.

Trouble shooting procedure so far:

1. I disconnected all of the accessories that I have added.

2. Connected positive terminal and get a draw of 12.9V from negative battery terminal to ground cable.

3. Pulled all fuses and draw is still there.

4. Pulled main fuse and draw disappears.

5. Removed the side panels and headlight.

6. Disconnected every connector that I can reach without pulling the seat or the front fairing and draw remains at 12.9V.

The bike is not at home where I can really tear into it.

Looking for help from anyone who may have had this happen to them.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Argo

To find a draw testing for voltage is useless, with pos battery cable connected and neg battery disconnected you SHOULD see battery voltave from neg battery to neg cable. That is a good thing.

You need to test for AMPS, that will tell you what the draw is. DO the same test but set the meter up to measure Amps. It should be a very small number. If you are not sure how to do this then use a test light with an incandescent bulb Not a LED tester. It the light bulb lights then you have a draw. To find it pull one fuse at a time till the light goes out. Dont forget there is a second fuse box in front of the battery. also pull fuses from any added accessories.

To find a draw testing for voltage is useless, with pos battery cable connected and neg battery disconnected you SHOULD see battery voltave from neg battery to neg cable. That is a good thing.

You need to test for AMPS, that will tell you what the draw is. DO the same test but set the meter up to measure Amps. It should be a very small number. If you are not sure how to do this then use a test light with an incandescent bulb Not a LED tester. It the light bulb lights then you have a draw. To find it pull one fuse at a time till the light goes out. Dont forget there is a second fuse box in front of the battery. also pull fuses from any added accessories.

Jeff,

I didn't have a meter capable of this with me yesterday.

Will test as instructed later today and report back.

Thanks,

Argo