IGNORED

will not start

,99 RSV will not start. no spark at the plugs, battery fine, not a fuel problem, everything works, so probably not ignition switch. starter turns over just fine. Has a new coil pickup, new ignition relay and ignitor box. when i put a spark tester on a plug i get a very faint spark when i hit the start button then nothing. some of you may remember i had the same problem 2 years ago and we really never figured it out, it just kind of fixed its self. well is back!

Have you tested the ignition switch? It really sounds like what mine did when it went bad, what is your voltage in and out of the switch?

new switch, change it out last time this happened so now i have 2 good ignition switches. did yours turn over the starter and did all the electrical stuff still work? everything on the bike works I just don't have any juice going to the plugs. 0 spark.

new switch, change it out last time this happened so now i have 2 good ignition switches. did yours turn over the starter and did all the electrical stuff still work? everything on the bike works I just don't have any juice going to the plugs. 0 spark.

Starter turned over but weak spark and no clicking from fuel pump, everything else worked. The electrical diagram can be found under the tech library section if you do not already have it, https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?42357-2nd-Gen-Wiring-Schematics-99-09-RSV .

I think the pickup coil will cause the same issue, I vaguely remember that being mentioned in the past for no spark. Either a bad connection or bad coil.

Edited by etcswjoe

,99 RSV will not start. no spark at the plugs, battery fine, not a fuel problem, everything works, so probably not ignition switch. starter turns over just fine. Has a new coil pickup, new ignition relay and ignitor box. when i put a spark tester on a plug i get a very faint spark when i hit the start button then nothing. some of you may remember i had the same problem 2 years ago and we really never figured it out, it just kind of fixed its self. well is back!

OH Brother do I remember, Bongo and I ......... Yup so Ill think on this.question originals coils, and good voltage in? We check the coil specs but ya know

what we didn't check, coil iron ground, last time we were thinking tip switch and never concluded if we could rule it out... Did you hit another bump?

Starter turned over but weak spark and no clicking from fuel pump, everything else worked. The electrical diagram can be found under the tech library section if you do not already have it, https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?42357-2nd-Gen-Wiring-Schematics-99-09-RSV .

I think the pickup coil will cause the same issue, I vaguely remember that being mentioned in the past for no spark. Either a bad connection or bad coil.

pick up coil replaced with stator 5000 mile ago.

OH Brother do I remember, Bongo and I ......... Yup so Ill think on this.question originals coils, and good voltage in? We check the coil specs but ya know

what we didn't check, coil iron ground, last time we were thinking tip switch and never concluded if we could rule it out... Did you hit another bump?

re ruled out the tip over when i tried a different switch with same results.

everything in the ignition system has been replaced except the coils. the coils are independent of each other so its highly unlikely all 4 coils are bad, plus they are the same coils as the last time this happened and it been running on them for 2 years now. something is telling the command module to not send voltage to the coils.

after getting in out of its hiding spot I opened it up and found both contacts broken off and just floating around in side, replaced it with another switch I picked up last time I had this problem. I relocated the switch to a easier to get to spot just in front of the ignition switch. don't really need a tip over switch on a trike so this should work out ok.

everything in the ignition system has been replaced except the coils. the coils are independent of each other so its highly unlikely all 4 coils are bad, plus they are the same coils as the last time this happened and it been running on them for 2 years now. something is telling the command module to not send voltage to the coils.

I got it! after two years of not knowing for sure what the problem was/is I went back to the tip over switch and sure enough its bad or a wire at the switch is bad. Now i just have to figure out how to get the dam thing out of where it is.

Your thinking on the coils align with my thinking as well and is why we look for a common thread or connection.

So we were correct way back when, yeah Bongo would be pleased!

Intermittent headaches what a pain!

Very pleased to know you found it once and for all.

Moving the switch higher for me would not be a good idea and trikes do tip and can drive themselves for long distances.

Most of the time when we find ourselves in trouble, it is do to what others cause, not what we know better than to do ;)

Steamer thanks for keeping us in the game!

• 2 weeks later...
HUH let me correct that tip part: lower will bring it more stability over the potholes so less pendulum movement which may have been a reason for the abnormal wear.

I believe but can not verify something very abnormal happen to this bike at some point long before i took ownership. Probably before it was triked.