IGNORED

My review of the newish Garmin zumo XT GPS

VentureFar

Yes it is all it is cracked up to be. This thing is awesome. Moves a lot of the usefulness of your smartphone over to a glove friendly 5.5 inch screen. Texts and notifications are read to you. control your music etc. Hope you like my review.

Comments are always welcome.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2020/09/10/garmin-zumo-xt-review-motorcycle-specific-gps-navigation/

VentureFar...

How do you like it compared to the Tom Tom Rider 550 you reviewed?

I put the Tom tom back in the box and on the shelf.

The zumo xt is bigger, brighter, more functional and easier to use.

I was told by the magazine early on that reviews are of the product only unless the review is a comparison review. Like all touring bikes or all adventure bikes under 600 Cc. Etc.

VentureFar...

• 6 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, VentureFar said:

Yes it is all it is cracked up to be. This thing is awesome. Moves a lot of the usefulness of your smartphone over to a glove friendly 5.5 inch screen. Texts and notifications are read to you. control your music etc. Hope you like my review.

Comments are always welcome.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2020/09/10/garmin-zumo-xt-review-motorcycle-specific-gps-navigation/

VentureFar...

Do you know if there is anything newer on the horizon?  Also do you know if you can pair more than one Bluetooth at a time?  I have an 87 VR and I’m keeping it as original as possible.  I’m exploring different methods of modern tech on the old machine.  I like listening to music but not through a headset so I’m using a Bluetooth to cassette thing that works well.  But I’d like to get the turn by turn or phone calls in the headset.

I bought one last month when they went on sale with $100 off to replace my Zumo 550 that I'd had since '07 that died last year.  It is a very nice unit.  I like that I can see my notifications on the screen.  Kind of miss the Sirius XM that the 550 had.  I mounted it like I had the old 550 mounted.  Using the Powerlet allows the whole unit to be easily removed from the Ram ball joint.  I never did like the idea of leaving the mounting base attached at all times.  Would have preferred to cut down the low voltage wire but having it bundled is mostly out of sight.  I mounted the transformer (rectangular box) between the the two flat surfaces to keep it out of the way.  Using nylon insert locknuts maintains rigidity of the the base without putting undue stress on the transformer.  According to LD rider Greg Rice, the transformer is not waterproof so I put a bead of silicone on it.  Overall, I am happy with it.

KIMG0532.JPG

KIMG0533.JPG

KIMG0534.JPG

• Like 1