IGNORED

2008 Royal Star Venture headlight

I think I ran an HID for awhile. Low beam was good, high beam just never seemed as focused as it should be. Worked good just seemed off a bit. At that time "good" LED headlights were still very pricey for me. The RSV uses 1 bulb for high and low. The HID uses a "shield" that changes angle to give the high beam. LED I think light up another bank of diode. My current Victory uses separate bulbs, so I run HID in low and a regular in the high. On my RSV I had H1 LED bulbs I found on ebay that worked well. Some have changed out the entire bulb with an LED work light from norther tool. They are a PAR 36 bulb I think. If you go LED I would suggest one that has a beam adjustment screw. The ones I am using in both our trucks have them and it makes a bunch of difference in getting the beam where you want it.

Thanks........I'll have to look into that. I don't ride a lot at night if I can avoid it but if I have to, I want to be able to see bambi (and be seen by oncoming cars) way better than I can with the stock headlights on it now. No where near enough light.

Thanks........I'll have to look into that. I don't ride a lot at night if I can avoid it but if I have to, I want to be able to see bambi (and be seen by oncoming cars) way better than I can with the stock headlights on it now. No where near enough light.

I switched to a plug-and-play LED bulb for the headlight:

BEAMTECH H4 LED Headlight Bulb - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The BeamTech H4 actually comes as a pair of LED bulbs for $38.99 - hard to see that on the web page. Both high and low beam focus on the same areas as the stock bulb but many levels of greater brighness.

And I replaced my PAR36 driving lights with LED, also plug-and-play:

Pair 4.5 Inch Fog Light Passing Lamps - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BF5KFMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The passing lamps fit the OEM driving light housings perfectly - you only need to splice the hookup wires as the wires are molded to the LED bulbs, not screwed on like the OEM bulbs.

The end results are amazingly bright. Well worth the minor expense.

Edited by cwtart

• 3 weeks later...

This bulb has a passive heatsink. Do you have any problems with overheating? do you need to have an anti-flicker device?

Stock bulb doesn't put out enough light. Looking for suggestions for direct replacement bulb or even a new headlight if that is the best way to go.

I am the same way, I didn't want to upgrade my passing lights as well if I switch to a different head light setup. I suggest a Sylvania Ultra Bright light bulbs which may cost more than a regular Sylvania lamp. I have seen the difference in brightness on my automobiles and am very happy with them. So far, my '07 is still running its original headlamp from the day I bought her brand new. When the time comes to replace my moto lamp, Sylvania Ultra brights will be my first choice.

I am the same way, I didn't want to upgrade my passing lights as well if I switch to a different head light setup. I suggest a Sylvania Ultra Bright light bulbs which may cost more than a regular Sylvania lamp. I have seen the difference in brightness on my automobiles and am very happy with them. So far, my '07 is still running its original headlamp from the day I bought her brand new. When the time comes to replace my moto lamp, Sylvania Ultra brights will be my first choice.

I have been using the Sylvania Ultras. But they do run hotter therefore have a shorter lifespan. This is noted in fine print on the back of the package. Note "lifehours" of the standard, the Ultra, and the Ultra Silverstar, and notice at each level the lifespan drops.

Amazon has several LED replacement headlamps noted for Harley Davidson. Anyone use one of these? Can I assume since they are all noted as Harley that it would not be a direct fit to our bucket?

I ended up just putting an LED bulb in the original headlight, I did replace the passing lights with new LED's. Can't remember the name of the bulb but it listed a bunch of different Harley's it would fit as well as the RSV. The new LED headlight(has it's own bracket that the light mounts to) was going to need some modifications to fit even though the website said it would fit my RSV. I was looking for a replacement that require no modification. The bulb I put in is much brighter but I can't tell any difference from low beam to high beam. Don't know whats up with that.

Amazon has several LED replacement headlamps noted for Harley Davidson. Anyone use one of these? Can I assume since they are all noted as Harley that it would not be a direct fit to our bucket?

Amazon has a feature on it where you can filter the results according to your make/model/yr of bike to see if that part is compatible

Be careful buying one of those "made for a bunch of Harley's" headlights. Chinese junk that usually requires modification. Not all are bad, but many are.

Best bet is a good LED bulb with the proper low beam cut off. I bought mine 3 years ago, passive cooling. Works great. Got 2 bulbs. Put one in my 1989 Venture and one in my 05 RSV. I'm pleased...and we have lots of desert to ride in at night!

For the price, I would try the bulbs @cwtart posted about. Cheap enough to be worthy of a try.

Seriously....good luck!

I have been using the Sylvania Ultras. But they do run hotter therefore have a shorter lifespan. This is noted in fine print on the back of the package. Note "lifehours" of the standard, the Ultra, and the Ultra Silverstar, and notice at each level the lifespan drops.

If you are worried about the heat emanated by the bulb and lifespan, LED is truly going to be your best choice. I've had good luck with Sylvanias so far. That is why I keep my receipt for warranty purposes. :fnd_(16):

Let me show my ignorance.......PO?

Just got the BEAMTECH H4 LED bulb recommended today. Has a different plug (2 small prongs) instead of the 3-prong plug shown in their picture which is what I need. Bummer, was looking forward to try that one out. Sending it back.

I switched to a plug-and-play LED bulb for the headlight:

BEAMTECH H4 LED Headlight Bulb - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The BeamTech H4 actually comes as a pair of LED bulbs for $38.99 - hard to see that on the web page. Both high and low beam focus on the same areas as the stock bulb but many levels of greater brighness.

And I replaced my PAR36 driving lights with LED, also plug-and-play:

Pair 4.5 Inch Fog Light Passing Lamps - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BF5KFMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The passing lamps fit the OEM driving light housings perfectly - you only need to splice the hookup wires as the wires are molded to the LED bulbs, not screwed on like the OEM bulbs.

The end results are amazingly bright. Well worth the minor expense.

Did your BEAMTECH come with the 3-prong plug like it shows in the picture? Maybe they sent me the wrong part.

Yes, the bulb I received had 3 prongs - fit the headlight socket exactly as the OEM bulb.

I see what they did. I have 2 H7 single beam bulbs in a box marked H4. I reordered them. Should be here tomorrow. Riding up to Hendersonville in the morning, should be here when we get back. If it happens again I hope they have a contact number so I can tell them to check their stock.

Thanks

I run the Sylvia is ultra bright in my 07 Rsv. Worthless upgrade in my opinion. Just a whiter light than the yellowish stock bulb.

I when I want to see I turn in my flamethrower 25 watt led spots mounted off my mirror stalks. Can play tennis by them in a moonless night. Can see to stop at 70mph. Turn them off for an oncoming car and the sylvanias do nothing

VentureFar...

IMG_5130.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk