IGNORED

1983 Venture questions.

cooguy1

I have a 1983 Venture XVZ12 I am trying to get it into daily riding shape. It is my fathers and it sat for 26 years until now. I have done the from fork oil and that fixed the front end dive so far. I now am looking for a rear master cylinder. I am also trying to figure out if my rear shock is shot or not. When I sit on it the rear just sinks but the pressure hold firm. The adjustment knob seems to do nothing and from what I can see the frame there is in good shape. It is holding pressure fine and I filled it to the recommended psi months ago and it hasn't gone down at all. is there something I am missing when I check the rear? Maybe a second shock or something. I am also looking for a led headlight for this bike as sealed beams are quite dim and I ride in rural areas quite often. Finally I have all the plastics for it but none of the screws to bolt them on with. Does anyone know the size and length so I can go to home depot and get some zinc screws for this.

Edited by cooguy1
Forgot to add details.

Can you get it it up on the center stand?

This is a good indicator as to the condition of the frame.The early Gen 1 frames had a tendency to rust out and break. When they do, it's darn difficult, if not impossible toe get them up on the center stand.

The rear master cylinder is still available from Yamaha and Partzilla, etc. The rebuild kits are also available. You would be well advised to talk to skydoc_17 about all things brake and clutch related.

I do not know if any of the '83s had the CLASS air system. If you do not have the CLASS system, the knob for the rear shock is the damper adjustment(and may be the same if it does have CLASS). It doesn't have anything to do with the air pressure in the rear shock. The air pressure is adjusted with a manual pump through the schrader valve located near the damper adjust knob.

If the rear shock holds air, it should be good, not often that we hear of a rear going bad on a 1st gen.

For your head light, be careful on what you get, not all LEDs work well. Some of us have found the Silver Star halogen to be the best going. If you want more light up front, and nobody will argue with that, get some good driving lights, ask @Jayceesfolly, I know he is very happy with his, and so is @saddlebum. Also, if you either paint or use some foil tape in the tunnel in front of your headlight, it helps some. That black tunnel absorbs a lot of light rays.

Keep asking those questions, it keeps us oldtimers on our toes and helps the brain to function.

Quality LED lamps start out fairly expensive. The cheapies will do what cheap stuff does after awhile.

I 2nd a high quality halogen bulb. Another thing about placing an LED, HID or Xenon element into a capsule designed for a halogen bulb is you generally wont get usable focused light, but the kind of light that splashes everywhere and blinds oncoming traffic. Generally speaking, LED or Xenon lamps fare best in capsules specifically designed for them.

Driving lights are common out here, I'm rural also and it gets mighty dark in the hills, also lots of deer. Light is good.

https://www.piaa.com/yamaha-motorcycle-lights-and-brackets.aspx

They have lamps specifically designed to be fork mounted. Spendy but good stuff.

https://hardkorrlighting.com/en-us/product-category/automotive/led-driving-lights/

I don't know about these, I've seen them in the wild and read a good review or two. I was looking at them for my FZ09. I sent them a note to make sure nothing I was looking at was made in China. I await their response. I think they made in AU but one cant be too careful.

Also since fork mounted lights are un-sprung weight, smaller lighter versions will be preferable to something with some heft to it. it's fairly easy to drop $150 plus on a decent set of lights, but the first time you spot and miss a deer they become free.

EDIT, I have to retract my recommendation to consider Korr, everything they sell is made in China, and I had to ask them to get that info. I would have preferred they had made that information available under product specs. But they did answer my question quickly to their credit.

Edited by CaseyJ955

Can you get it it up on the center stand?

This is a good indicator as to the condition of the frame.The early Gen 1 frames had a tendency to rust out and break. When they do, it's darn difficult, if not impossible toe get them up on the center stand.

The rear master cylinder is still available from Yamaha and Partzilla, etc. The rebuild kits are also available. You would be well advised to talk to skydoc_17 about all things brake and clutch related.

Yes I can get it up on center stand it is very difficult though I need help from a second person. As soon as anyone sits on the bike the rear end sinks almost completely. Now for the rear master cylinder I went to the closest Yamaha Dealer and they said they can't find one and the few places around me I contacted said they also can't find one. Mine is shot it would not come apart and when I had a shop try it broke. I bought a "universal" one off amazon and it does work for the rear as a temporary fix but it's really janky. I will be checking partzilla right after i post this thanks for the tip!

If the rear shock holds air, it should be good, not often that we hear of a rear going bad on a 1st gen.

For your head light, be careful on what you get, not all LEDs work well. Some of us have found the Silver Star halogen to be the best going. If you want more light up front, and nobody will argue with that, get some good driving lights, ask Jayceesfolly, I know he is very happy with his, and so is saddlebum. Also, if you either paint or use some foil tape in the tunnel in front of your headlight, it helps some. That black tunnel absorbs a lot of light rays.

Keep asking those questions, it keeps us oldtimers on our toes and helps the brain to function.

It does hold pressure but once you sit the rear drops almost completely. I am use to riding super sport bikes so this could be normal but it does worry me of such a large amount of suspension travel from just sitting. My father did add some lights but they where added in the late 80's and I believe they are Camaro fog lights. They drain the battery at idle so you have to be careful with them on. I want to replace them with either led housings or remove them all together. Thanks for the tips I will definitely look into all of this today.

My 83 drops a bit, but I'm a fat arse too, lol. I keep mine at 45 psi, and holds pressure year round.

Here is a link to part # break down. I'm not sure what you need, but copy and Google the p/n, many parts are readily available at various places.

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/l/yam/50042475f8700209bc787e25/1983-xvz12tk-parts

I found these on Wish.com

Very inexpensive and worth the price. I have them on my 93 Royale Trike and they are super bright and seem to be well made. Have them almost 2 years now and no problems. Shipping may be a little longer but worth the wait for me.

https://www.wish.com/search/cree%20drivingl/product/5f34dc266ed1ed004efa3c73?source=search&position=29&share=web

My 83 drops a bit, but I'm a fat arse too, lol. I keep mine at 45 psi, and holds pressure year round.

Here is a link to part # break down. I'm not sure what you need, but copy and Google the p/n, many parts are readily available at various places.

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/l/yam/50042475f8700209bc787e25/1983-xvz12tk-parts

Thanks for the link! So as with the rear shock I have a real problem getting the thing on the center stand I was thinking that was the problem because my father was saying that it might be sitting to low in the rear. He said he never had a problem with it he would stand on the foot plate and the whole bike would just stand up onto it but when I do this it stops about a quarter of the way and begins to tip.

I found these on Wish.com

Very inexpensive and worth the price. I have them on my 93 Royale Trike and they are super bright and seem to be well made. Have them almost 2 years now and no problems. Shipping may be a little longer but worth the wait for me.

https://www.wish.com/search/cree%20drivingl/product/5f34dc266ed1ed004efa3c73?source=search&position=29&share=web

Ok thanks for this when i get to lighting I will definitely look into these.

Thanks for the link! So as with the rear shock I have a real problem getting the thing on the center stand I was thinking that was the problem because my father was saying that it might be sitting to low in the rear. He said he never had a problem with it he would stand on the foot plate and the whole bike would just stand up onto it but when I do this it stops about a quarter of the way and begins to tip.

Putting it on the center stand, definitely an art to it. It's all about the process, and a little grit for sure. Start off with good stiff sole shoes / boots. Maybe ask someone to grab the back and assist you in the beginning.

Putting it on the center stand, definitely an art to it. It's all about the process, and a little grit for sure. Start off with good stiff sole shoes / boots. Maybe ask someone to grab the back and assist you in the beginning.

Yes I have someone help me right now but even then its a challenge. With a person it goes half way and stops I have to give it one hell of a pull back on the handlebars and even then it takes a couple of tries. My friend has a 88 Goldwing and its fairly easy to do I had him try on the Venture and he could not do it.

Try pumping the rear shock up to max pressure(dont remember the number)and then putting her up on the center stand. It sure is sounding like the frame might have failed. I'd get down there and take a real good look.

I will take a look when I get a chance. The rest of the bike is rust free so I hope that the frame did not rust out or anything.

I have a 1983 Venture XVZ12 I am trying to get it into daily riding shape. It is my fathers and it sat for 26 years until now. I have done the from fork oil and that fixed the front end dive so far. I now am looking for a rear master cylinder. I am also trying to figure out if my rear shock is shot or not. When I sit on it the rear just sinks but the pressure hold firm. The adjustment knob seems to do nothing and from what I can see the frame there is in good shape. It is holding pressure fine and I filled it to the recommended psi months ago and it hasn't gone down at all. is there something I am missing when I check the rear? Maybe a second shock or something. I am also looking for a led headlight for this bike as sealed beams are quite dim and I ride in rural areas quite often.

Do you have a Venture Royale (with onboard compressor and CLASS) or a Standard Venture ( no compressor or CLASS)?

If you have a Royale (CLASS and compressor) are you actually selecting the REAR shock for pressure and inflation? Not the FRONT?

Are you operating and observing the CLASS read out when the ignition switch is in the ACC position, not ON?

Are you observing the air pressure while the Venture is on the center stand, or while on the side stand?

After inflating the rear shock to 50 psi and then sitting on the bike (now off the center stand), what is the pressure read out in psi for the rear shock? When you get off the bike, what does the read out display for the rear?

Do you have a Venture Royale (with onboard compressor and CLASS) or a Standard Venture ( no compressor or CLASS)?

If you have a Royale (CLASS and compressor) are you actually selecting the REAR shock for pressure and inflation? Not the FRONT?

Are you operating and observing the CLASS read out when the ignition switch is in the ACC position, not ON?

Are you observing the air pressure while the Venture is on the center stand, or while on the side stand?

After inflating the rear shock to 50 psi and then sitting on the bike (now off the center stand), what is the pressure read out in psi for the rear shock? When you get off the bike, what does the read out display for the rear?

It is a standard one and o did the air pressure on side stand I will got out and redo it on center stand right now thanks for the tip.

I went out and did that made a huge difference it rides very good now thanks!

Edited by cooguy1
I did the work