IGNORED

Goodbye dear friend Jenkins ?? - 2020.

CaseyJ955

I've been trying to ignore this and put it out of my head, cant. I didnt want to put this in the memory section as that seems for people.

We got her when my kids were 10-11, they are now grown in their mid 20s. She came from the animal shelter and was a young adult when we got her. She was due to be put down some days earlier, but they were keeping her in the office space instead of the kennel area, said she was just too sweet to put down. Indeed she was, but black dogs/cats dont adopt out well and often put down according to them. Kids and I fell in love with her and brought her home 16 years ago. By this I estimate her age to be 18 -/+ a year. She saw me raise kids, divorce one gal and marry another, then go another 11 years after that.

She has been turning pretty white for a few years now, the last year she was mostly deaf, blind enough to walk into walls and happy enough not to care much as long as we got our daily walk in the woods (we live in the woods by a creek) and her daily swim in the creek, which she awaited with great enthusiasm. She customarily jumped over a small part of the creek back to land, but the last few weeks she has missed a lot and smashed her face into the rocks or ground, seemingly unfazed all she wants to do when she gets out of the water is run run run. I've been unable to work for the last couple years and her and I have been spending a great deal of time together.

For the last few years it was just her and I, and often the wife. I've known this was coming based on her age and her fading senses, she was always looking for food that she thought I threw, or completely missing food I did toss her way, she just couldn't see well enough but didnt want to miss out. She collapsed yesterday and couldn't get back up, I knew what was going on, I carried her outside into the woods and called my kids. My son made it here in time but everyone else was working. She died under the trees in the woods with my son and I holding her, when my daughter arrived we buried her half way down to the creek on her favorite route. Lots of tears shed, she lived a fantastic long life in a super loving family, and her death was fairly quick and exactly where she would have wanted to be, and not alone. As far as lives and deaths go she got pretty lucky. She was gone less than 2 hours after her collapse.

Strangest thing though, as my son and I were there consoling her in the grass, two young bucks stepped out of the trees, got much closer than they normally do, within 15'. They stood there still for several minutes, took a few more steps, waited some more,right after Jenkins took her last breaths they turned and slowly walked away. In my grief I choose to believe they came to pick her up and take her with them. I'm a very tough sell on stuff like that but this was so unusual and the timing sure makes it hard to explain.

This burns every bit as much as burying a person, I bond quickly and strongly with most animals. This one was my best friend for a decent chunk of my adult life. Now an old dog that was waaay on borrowed time anyway should not move the meter that much, but I cant keep my **** together. This is as much as I've hurt since my nephew passed a few years back. Sorry to rant or bring anyone down, I had to get this off my chest and felt like maybe some other dog lovers would enjoy her pics as much as I've enjoyed taking them. She was sure one of a kind! A couple pics of her with my son 2 years ago, it shows her delicate nature, and his. I have much older pics that the uplaod wont see, but she used to be a jet black lab with no trace of white. She got a whole lot more white since these pics 2 years ago. She brought us all so much joy and love, also she was one heck of a watch dog! I know she cant be replaced, no plans to even try. Her passing was no surprise, in fact I was expecting her to go years ago but she just kept on.

Farewell Jenkins, we love you so very much, you are hugely missed my dearest friend!

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

Most of us know the pain of losing a "fur baby", and I know that with time, the bulk of the memories will be happy ones.

It's been years, but I still grieve for Ted and Kodi...and Rudy, Peanut, and Digger and Little Dog and Morgie....

But when I think of them, it brings smiles and fond memories.

I'm so sorry for your loss.:2132:

Tony thanks for sharing your story. You have some fantastic memories to always bring a smile to your face. As the saying goes “the more people I meet, the more I love my dog!” Doug

Quote: "Goodbye dear Friend..."

Oh man, you just buried US too!

At 77, closing on 78, we have too many of those 'T-Shirts'. Had to let our last Pal go earlier this year; just couldn't handle things any more. Fortunately (Stupid Lucky) we found a wonderful new Life for our Buddy, with a 'Vet Technician' working in our area, and the Transfer was quick. Cried all the way home, and then some.

Great Job on this, Casey. We knew what was coming, and shouldn't have read it, but couldn't resist.

Tough, tough night ahead for us, but THANK YOU.

Warmest regards, WRIDR

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Some people just don't get it. Our pets become a part of our family, some more than others I suppose. Some just seem to work their way deep into our hearts. We all know that the day is coming but that doesn't make it any easier.

Thank you all so much. I had no place else to say anything for her and I know this is a very warm community, I knew it would be understood here. You are all really great and I wont forget all the kind words! Neither will Jenkins. We were super lucky to have had her all these years. I was surprised how much gray her and I picked up over the last decade haha.

Her years of faithful service and companionship deserved mention. She is with Jack Jack in the one pic, they were fast friends and now they run together again.

A couple happy good-doggy pics of her from 2009 and 10. It's been great looking at all the old pics.

Thank you, this has helped!

woods_walk 014.jpg

woods_walk 019.jpg

dogpark 091.jpg

JThike 010.jpg

I've been trying to ignore this and put it out of my head, cant. I didnt want to put this in the memory section as that seems for people...

Farewell Jenkins, we love you so very much, you are hugely missed my dearest friend!

Condolences. Knowing it is coming doesn't make it easier, and they are never "just" a pet.

I get it Casey,, my thoughts and prayers are with you my friend. I had a rough childhood and, at times, my dog "Doc" was my only friend.. To this day I swear he understood every word I told him as tears poured out of my 8 year old eyes and his great big brown eyes spoke volumes to me about why, at that time, I could not run off and live on the street, which I did when I turned 15..

I had such a connection with dogs and their deep love and commitment to us humans that even my hunting dogs got into my heart, an act that anyone who works sporting dogs warn against cause things can happen so rapidly.. Didnt matter,, my heart is like yours,, VERY discerning and honoring of such commitment and deep unconditional love, IMHO brother,, I think this is what makes you and I and others like us a special kind of people.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family/friends who had the privilege and honor of getting to share life with such a magnificent part of Gods creation in a friend named Jenkins and are now working thru the great loss that you are.. There is an old saying that says time heals all wounds but I truly think that is not totally correct.. I think some wounds never fully heal but instead we somehow survive and go on with thin scar tissue helping us move on. I mourn with you..

RIP Jenkins and this song, I dedicate to your memory.

Casey, as a doggy dad I sympathize with you and my heart hurts for you and your family after reading about Jenkins. You can see how happy he was in the pictures you shared with your family!

The way you described your relationship with animals reminded me of something that was said to me many years ago by a person who at the time was one of my closest friends but has unfortunately faded into memory at this point in life.

Jacob would say, "I don't trust anyone who doesn't like dogs. A dogs only purpose in life is to love you unconditionally, and if you have a problem with that it says a lot more about you than it does the dog and I just don't trust you!"

Casey, as a doggy dad I sympathize with you and my heart hurts for you and your family after reading about Jenkins. You can see how happy he was in the pictures you shared with your family!

The way you described your relationship with animals reminded me of something that was said to me many years ago by a person who at the time was one of my closest friends but has unfortunately faded into memory at this point in life.

Jacob would say, "I don't trust anyone who doesn't like dogs. A dogs only purpose in life is to love you unconditionally, and if you have a problem with that it says a lot more about you than it does the dog and I just don't trust you!"

Thank you. Your friend is right IMHO. I sure understand choosing not to have pets for various valid reasons, but too just not like dogs is baffling. When in people's homes I was the guy that would always break away from people to befriend the family pet/s.

The warmth shown here is moving. I cant thank you all enough. :bighug: