IGNORED

New to me, 2018 Venture TC, comments and question

I used to be a member of this site until 2012 and just rejoined.

I had a 2007 Midnight Venture and loved it. I put 100,000 Kms on it and the last I heard, it is still going with over 200,000 Kms. When it came time to get a new bike, I wanted to get away from carbs and I definitely didn't want a cassette player :) Got a really good deal on a 2010 Goldwing in 2011. I put over 150,000 Kms on it and decided I wanted a new ride.

We had planned to ride from the East Coast of Canada (New Brunswick) to the West this spring/summer, then down into the US for the return trip. Covid changed all that and we postponed the trip until next year. Then things started to open up a bit in Canada, so we decided in late June to maybe do a one way ride as the border between the US and Canada is still closed.

I don't like the new GW. Even if I did, it would be a challenge to do that long of a ride, two up, with the small storage capacity on the new model. Our new plan was to buy a bike in Western Canada and ride home. I was looking for a used 2015 to 2017 GW with low mileage but couldn't find one at a dealer, BUT, I did find a 2018 Venture TC, with 4,900 Km (3,045 mi) on it, at a reasonable price in Vancouver. Called, talked, bought...

We flew out July 15 and picked up the bike July 16. We more than doubled the mileage before we left British Columbia. The mountains were just too much fun!!! 38 days and 12,000 Kms later, we are home. There is a whole lot I like about this bike, and a few things I would change, but aren't show stoppers.

I find the seat gets uncomfortable after about 5 hours on the road. Then I have to stop more often. My wife finds the back seat most comfortable. The seat on the Midnight was really comfortable and 12 - 14 hour days didn't produce any pain. Not sure why the new one couldn't be the same. I think it's a crime that one spends so much money to buy a motorcycle and then has to put out more to put a good seat on it.

Both the RSV and the Wing were more responsive to the throttle, but to be expected when comparing 4 and 6 cylinders to 2. Having said that, the TC has lots of get up and go and is really smooth. I just have to remember that it has 6 gears. Found myself cruising along in 5th and forgetting to shift.

This bikes overall handling is better than the other two, although both the Wing and the RSV were awesome in the twisties. We rode mountain roads with tight turns and hairpins and the bike handled them with ease. The slow speed handling is awesome. First day we picked it up, we got caught in construction, and although the traffic didn't stop, it was crawling at a walking pace. We did this with both feet on the floor boards. This type of riding on the RSV was a nightmare because it was so top heavy. Wing wasn't much better. It's hard to believe that this bike weighs 960 lbs, before loading it with gear and people. And when we hit the long, straight, flat roads of the prairies, I found out where the Transcontinental name comes from. It just purred along. Forever and ever... I read that heat is a problem, but the only time I really noticed the heat was when we were stuck in slow moving traffic on really hot days.

It came with the Yamaha headsets and they are very clear. Phone calls are noise free. Only issue I have is that sometimes the intercom won't shut off when the switch is released. It could be a setting somewhere as I'm still trying to figure it all out.

The throttle response is great, until it gets into 5th and 6th. When I crank it when the RPM's are between 2500 and 3000, it seems to be sucking air and takes a bit to respond. If I don't open it all the way, I get a better pickup. It also seems to perform better in Tour mode than Sport and I would expect the opposite. I did have the dealer in Vancouver look at it and they did a little adjustment, but it's not much better. I'm not sure if this is normal as I'm not used to riding a twin, but I am going to have the dealer here check it out. Does anyone else find this?

One other thing that bugs me, is that sometimes, when starting the bike, I have to hit the starter more than once as it won't turn over. Like it's on a compression stroke and doesn't have the omph to turn over. Another thing for the dealer.

I really like this site, and remember using it a lot when I had the RSV. I've already checked out a few things since I've bought the new one and expect I will be lots in the future. Actually, now that I think about it, I did read some of the threads before I bought the bike, looking for opinions on the TC.

Not an owner, but did do a fairly good test ride. I was doing 70mph in 3rd and it was just cruising along. I couldnt even figure out what 6th gear was for?? Could you be bogging the engine at too low rpms. The one I took out was more responsive then my RSV, alot more responsive. I did love the bike. I am sure you will get responses from actual owners in a bit.

Craig

I had them check it when I had the service done. Said it was good. I don't have a lot of confidence in that dealership and will be taking it in to my dealer here who did all my RSV work.

I'd really like to get the throttle response figured out. At 2500, if I give the throttle a good twist, it sounds like it's sucking air and there is nothing for a second or two, then it gradually increases in speed for a second, then it really takes off. I don't know if the lag is normal or not. This is my first big twin. I'm used to 4 or 6 cylinders and the immediate response.

Am I expecting too much at the lower rpms??? I ran it in Touring mode for the last 3 or 4,000 Kms and it seemed to respond well, but then I was getting used to the bike.

Did I mention that I really like riding this bike??? :)

Like your input. Your starting problem is probably the battery. Dealer can test it.

I agree. When I received my SVTC 7 months ago and it is an ‘18, the first thing I replaced last March is the battery. I simply wanted to be confident that I don’t get stranded anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had them check it when I had the service done. Said it was good. I don't have a lot of confidence in that dealership and will be taking it in to my dealer here who did all my RSV work.

I'd really like to get the throttle response figured out. At 2500, if I give the throttle a good twist, it sounds like it's sucking air and there is nothing for a second or two, then it gradually increases in speed for a second, then it really takes off. I don't know if the lag is normal or not. This is my first big twin. I'm used to 4 or 6 cylinders and the immediate response.

Am I expecting too much at the lower rpms??? I ran it in Touring mode for the last 3 or 4,000 Kms and it seemed to respond well, but then I was getting used to the bike.

Did I mention that I really like riding this bike??? :)

Your lag doesn't seem normal to me. I am pretty sure mine does not act that way. Try turning the traction control off.

There may be a problem with the wire or a sensor on the throttle control.