IGNORED

@nd Gen Final Drive issue

Papa Fred

Thinking out loud again (potentially dangerous thing),

I've been thinking of the VMax pumpkin for some time. Reason? My experience in long distance cruising with the RSV and mpgs. My personal gut feeling is the VMax rear end should make better mpgs in normal freeway cruising, allow easier off the line starts and less downshifting up hills. My reasoning is the 5th gear is really to low a gear for a loaded scoot. I feel it takes the motor out of its power band ...or at least... right in the lower edge of it.

So Fred, I would think you will get better mpgs. And a better tactile experience cruising. Especially since you rarely get to 70mph. You may have to relearn your shifts and what gear is best at different speeds, but results should be worth it all around.

Now, to add to this. Anything above 75mph will probably cost me mpgs with VMax rear end. But that had yet to be determined.

Glad you are up and running!

Thinking out loud again (potentially dangerous thing),

I've been thinking of the VMax pumpkin for some time. Reason? My experience in long distance cruising with the RSV and mpgs. My personal gut feeling is the VMax rear end should make better mpgs in normal freeway cruising, allow easier off the line starts and less downshifting up hills. My reasoning is the 5th gear is really to low a gear for a loaded scoot. I feel it takes the motor out of its power band ...or at least... right in the lower edge of it.

So Fred, I would think you will get better mpgs. And a better tactile experience cruising. Especially since you rarely get to 70mph. You may have to relearn your shifts and what gear is best at different speeds, but results should be worth it all around.

Now, to add to this. Anything above 75mph will probably cost me mpgs with VMax rear end. But that had yet to be determined.

Glad you are up and running!

Thanks. My overall feeling / observation is pretty much the same as yours. It just seemed to be walking a line between dropping down a gear or rolling on the throttle and dealing with it. The numbers I observed before and after the swap seem to show about a half-gear increase in rpm. Quick example- OEM gearing at 70 mph... 4th was at 4000 rpm, 5th dropped it to 3200. VMax gear at 70...4th was 4500. 5th went to 3800. Kinda in-between the OEM 4th & 5th. I tend to cruise at 62 to 65. That puts 5th gear now at 35-3600. Coincidentally, and this is purely a seat-of-the-pants feeling, the motor seems like a happy little camper when it gets to 3500.

I'll put on some more hiway/city miles in the next few days to work out overall economy differences and, hopefully before our riding season shuts the door, we'll hook up the trailer for some yard sale exploring.

Overall, as others have stated, that little rpm bump seems to make quite a difference in the bike's personality. If my fuel use numbers show a decrease in mileage, I feel the drive-ability boost will be worth dropping a mile or three. If it's better or at least even...bonus.

Its a VMax/FJR specific part inside the pumpkin. Ours are a little different. I was just curious about your take on it, I’ve talked to several with it and unanimously love it. I have no doubt I’ll be happy with it as we pull a trailer on long trips. Sorta anxious to get it done now that I have a little time to mess with it.

Gotcha on the missing part. We've all shared that moment in a project. Everything's all laid out on the bench ready to go together and....

As I mentioned to Videoarizona in the previous post (sorry for having this out of the receive / send order) so far it's a promising step. Time, and numbers, will tell.

Good luck killing time staring at the soon-to-be finished swap.