IGNORED

Dry Rotted Tires

Freebird

So what should have been a fairly easy day turned into a pain. I ran across a deal on a really nice old boat over in Akron, OH. Didn't need it but it is super clean so decided to pick it up. Small boat, 18 ft. Wellcraft Elite 180 Classic with a 4 cylinder Mercruiser I/O.

Anyway, drove over and picked it up around 11:30 today and headed home. Should have only been about an hour drive. Hit Interstate 76 a few miles outside of Akron and the right trailer tire blew all to pieces. Pulled over and got out of traffic the best that I could. There was a spare on the trailer so after struggling to get the bottle jack from the trunk under the low trailer, I finally figured out a way to get it jacked up and the tired change. Headed on. Was only about 40 minutes from home now.

Got almost to Litchfield, OH, still about 20 minutes from home and heard a noise. Looked in my mirrors and saw the tread pealing the left tire. No place to get a tire in Litchfield and it was still holding air, running on the inner plys, so I headed toward home. Held the speed down to 35 or so miles per hour. Got about a mile from home and that was all it would take. It too shredded. I pulled into a farmers driveway and asked if I could leave the boat there while I went to get a tire. No problem. Went to a tire store and they had no 14" trailer tires in stock. Finally went to Tractor Supply and bought two new tires already mounted on wheels.

Went back to the farmers house, got the boat jacked up and the blown tire changed. Drove home and replaced the other one and put the spare back where it went. The spare looks brand new but is probably as hold as the other two were.

I had looked at the tires before I headed home with it but they looked good and the trailer itself is a 2018 model so I didn't ever consider that they might be dry rotted. To make matter worse, the trailer has plastic fenders and when the tires blew, both fenders were broke pretty bad. I'll repair then for now but probably replace them sooner or later.

So, that's what I get for buying another boat. I told myself after selling the last one that I would never buy another one. Of course, I've said that with every boat I've ever bought. The boat looks very nice and well maintained, I hope it's better than the trailer.

Did you make sure the tires were up to pressure? Stupid question I know. Sorry.

I have a 4' x 8' utility trailer I bought from Lowes in Manitowoc, WI to haul my ZN700 Kawa home to NC. The small tires on it are supposed to be inflated to 90 psig. When I was working in Homestead FL, I hauled the my 04 Kawa concours 15 miles down the turnpike to get some new tires installed. One trailer tire was only inflated to 30 psig but it sat up fine even with the 660lb bike in it. The trailer was rated for a max of 1600 lbs. So, I thought it would be okay. NOT! On the way back to Homestead, the right rear tire shredded. I didn't even know it until I slowed down to take my exit at Homestead. So, I continued to drive it back to my Townhouse. I was working 12 hr night shifts and I didn't have much time to get this done during the day when I should have been sleeping. Anyway, I ordered a new tire/wheel combo from etrailer because the rim was a goner too and the local stores didn't have a replacement tire/wheel combo. I learned to make sure the tires are up to pressure before towing!!!

Very nice looking boat, and gotta agree for an '86 amazing. :thumbsup2: On a trailer under that old of a boat the tires are generally toast but will hold up for a slo-mo trip home. Another thing I bring with me is a lube gun.. Never trust the buddy bearings to be serviced anytime lately.. Hopefully the motor runs and the tilt-trim hydraulics are in good shape...

Dont know much about boats. Even though growing up my dad had a couple. What I remember most is him having to work on it almost everytime we took it out. Dont know which years but Merc had some issues with those out drives. I think it was some sort of leak. Hope you have some fun with it.

Funny to see that today, I sold my last boat 24 years ago and just bought a small bass boat about the time COVID shut down the schools. My wife, daughter, and I spent most of the summer fishing. Just today the wife told me I need to get a bigger boat to take kids/grandkids out tubing and skiing in the future. I had to remind her neither of the girls are married yet so I’m hoping there’s not grandkids in the near future. That is exactly the kind of boat I had in mind to buy whenever I run across a deal.

Great looking boat. Those tires were probably pretty old. Check your TT dates as well, after 7 or so years, replace them no matter what. I had a boat 20+ years, sold it 4 years ago, and I have regretted it ever since. I'd like to find about a 21' tritoon with a merc 200. Enjoy and be safe, lots of idiots on the water.

Looks like a great fishing boat. I used to have a small Sea Nymph. 17 ft. I think with a 70 HP Johnson. Never gave me a minutes trouble. Sold it and bought a 28 ft. Regal cabin cruiser. Nice boat but weighed about 8,000 lbs. and was a pain to trailer. Finally sold it.

Very nice looking boat, and gotta agree for an '86 amazing. :thumbsup2: On a trailer under that old of a boat the tires are generally toast but will hold up for a slo-mo trip home. Another thing I bring with me is a lube gun.. Never trust the buddy bearings to be serviced anytime lately.. Hopefully the motor runs and the tilt-trim hydraulics are in good shape...

Older boat but the trailer is a 2018. Tires shouldn't have been that bad but oh well. It was gone over before I bought it. Tilt sensor was replaced. Motor and outdrive are as clean or cleaner than the boat. Haven't taken it out yet but started it hooked to a water hose and it started instantly. Tilt and Trim seemed to word fine. Stereo works well and Hummingbird combo unit seems good too. What amazed me the most was the upholstery. Everything I looked at that was 80's and 90's needed much interior work. Seats were all cracked and a mess. This one doesn't have a rip or tear anywhere and vinyl is still sold and pliable.

Looks like a great fishing boat. I used to have a small Sea Nymph. 17 ft. I think with a 70 HP Johnson. Never gave me a minutes trouble. Sold it and bought a 28 ft. Regal cabin cruiser. Nice boat but weighed about 8,000 lbs. and was a pain to trailer. Finally sold it.

Yep, fishing is it's primary mission, but with the Evinrude E-TEC it pulls a 3 person towable just fine as well. Being all aluminum it only weighs about 2,000 lbs including the motor.

Boat was definetly taken care of, must of kept it inside a good part of its life for the interior to look that good. Looks very similar to the first boat we ever owned, that was 28yrs ago, same age as my daughter.... Be careful out there:thumbsup2:

Looks like you gotcherself a Doozie.

Only scary thing - in our opinion - is what that black thingy hanging off the stern is connected to. (Fingers crossed big time.)~

Regardless, it is in fantastic shape for the age. A real steal regardless of what lies ahead. One thing: if you plan to tarp and store indoors, watch out for wee meece camping inside. Mothballs needed.

Don't let 'Remorse' bite yer butt; should be an easy resale in such incredible condition, Donnie.

Hugs, WRIDR

I had a friend of a friend who owns an auto-body repair shop do some work on my Expedition...That's a story of it's own.....but when it was done, and I went to settle up with him he said the total cost was $4500, or, if I'd prefer I could install a complete HVAC system in a house he was building on Kelly's Island. Labor only. So I opted to put the system in.

As the house was just being built, I figured that since he had already took all the materials on my list to the site, I could load up the motor-home with tools and our mutual friend who was willing to help, and sleep in the motor-home as I expected the job to take at least a full weekend.

So I load up and Friday after work we head up to make sure to catch the ferry before it shut down at 9:00.

It's about a 2 hour ride. Left at 5.

Halfway there I heard the boom...and rear end felt a bit squishy. Blew one of the 4 rear tires....Crap.....pulled over at a wide spot on a two lane, only to discover I didn't have the correct socket to change. Called AAA and an hour later I was back on the road with the spare. Got about another half hour up the road and heard the same boom...but this time there happened to be a truck towing a parade float with a cannon on it. I couldn't tell if the sound was me or the cannon....lol...funny thing is that when I pulled into a parking lot, the truck pulled in right behind me to check his cannon....he said something was leaking in it an it sometimes fires on it's own. What were the odds of that....turns out it wasn't the cannon....I blew the other rear tire on the same side. Now, with not much time to spare before the ferry left, I'm wondering where the heck I'm going to find a replacement tire. I told my buddy to call his friend to let him know that we weren't going to make the ferry. I take out my phone and google tire places and choose one that was a 24 hr truck and trailer tire service shop and, looking at my phone....it was pretty close....really close....I turned around and saw that it was their parking lot I was in....again....what were the odds of that?

Long story short, an hour later and $950 shorter I had 2 new tires on that side and we made the ferry as the last rider. Pulled up to the ticket house at 8:58,

Completed the job Sunday afternoon and headed home to find that due to high winds they were only running the large ferry and had a 3 hour wait to board. The guy we were working for had his pickup parked at the very front of the ferry and had a wave come over the bow and swamped his truck....lol....It was a pretty hairy ride....they sure do pack 'em on that ferry like sardines. There was about 4" between my motor-home and the fenders of the trailer next to me and with the rockin' I was worried that I'd rock into the trailer, but at least THAT didn't happen.

All's well that ends well as I made it home safe....matched the two replacement tires with two more for the other side on the rear. Front tires at this point are 8 years old, but still have good tread. I'll likely replace them next year.

I'm happy with the work he did on my Expedition....he's happy with his HVAC system....it's all good.

As a side note I since had him paint a gas tank for my 85 Nighthawk S and, as payment, I made him a switch over device where if power goes out he can run his fridge from a couple of golf cart batteries...at least until the batteries die. Enclosure, relay, trickle charger and inverter. He supplied the batteries. I even put a muffin fan on the enclosure to remove heat.

It'll be interesting to see what our next project will be.:guitarist 2:

I had a friend of a friend who owns an auto-body repair shop do some work on my Expedition...That's a story of it's own.....but when it was done, and I went to settle up with him he said the total cost was $4500, or, if I'd prefer I could install a complete HVAC system in a house he was building on Kelly's Island. Labor only. So I opted to put the system in.

As the house was just being built, I figured that since he had already took all the materials on my list to the site, I could load up the motor-home with tools and our mutual friend who was willing to help, and sleep in the motor-home as I expected the job to take at least a full weekend.

So I load up and Friday after work we head up to make sure to catch the ferry before it shut down at 9:00.

It's about a 2 hour ride. Left at 5.

Halfway there I heard the boom...and rear end felt a bit squishy. Blew one of the 4 rear tires....Crap.....pulled over at a wide spot on a two lane, only to discover I didn't have the correct socket to change. Called AAA and an hour later I was back on the road with the spare. Got about another half hour up the road and heard the same boom...but this time there happened to be a truck towing a parade float with a cannon on it. I couldn't tell if the sound was me or the cannon....lol...funny thing is that when I pulled into a parking lot, the truck pulled in right behind me to check his cannon....he said something was leaking in it an it sometimes fires on it's own. What were the odds of that....turns out it wasn't the cannon....I blew the other rear tire on the same side. Now, with not much time to spare before the ferry left, I'm wondering where the heck I'm going to find a replacement tire. I told my buddy to call his friend to let him know that we weren't going to make the ferry. I take out my phone and google tire places and choose one that was a 24 hr truck and trailer tire service shop and, looking at my phone....it was pretty close....really close....I turned around and saw that it was their parking lot I was in....again....what were the odds of that?

Long story short, an hour later and $950 shorter I had 2 new tires on that side and we made the ferry as the last rider. Pulled up to the ticket house at 8:58,

Completed the job Sunday afternoon and headed home to find that due to high winds they were only running the large ferry and had a 3 hour wait to board. The guy we were working for had his pickup parked at the very front of the ferry and had a wave come over the bow and swamped his truck....lol....It was a pretty hairy ride....they sure do pack 'em on that ferry like sardines. There was about 4" between my motor-home and the fenders of the trailer next to me and with the rockin' I was worried that I'd rock into the trailer, but at least THAT didn't happen.

All's well that ends well as I made it home safe....matched the two replacement tires with two more for the other side on the rear. Front tires at this point are 8 years old, but still have good tread. I'll likely replace them next year.

I'm happy with the work he did on my Expedition....he's happy with his HVAC system....it's all good.

As a side note I since had him paint a gas tank for my 85 Nighthawk S and, as payment, I made him a switch over device where if power goes out he can run his fridge from a couple of golf cart batteries...at least until the batteries die. Enclosure, relay, trickle charger and inverter. He supplied the batteries. I even put a muffin fan on the enclosure to remove heat.

It'll be interesting to see what our next project will be.:guitarist 2:

:clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

The extreme mixture of endlessly highly skilled tradesmen and women of our club is nothing short of amazing!! Adds up to some awesome adVentures filled with Murphy being defeated by everyday people doing extraordinary things while surviving extraordinary cercumstances!! Making lemonaide while they can!! GOOD ON YA UNC!!! :thumbsup:

I'm curious as to what brand these failing tires were and where were they manufactured?

Back around late 80's, I bought a used 25' travel trailer. All 4 tires on it were cracked from sitting in the sun. A week after I bought it, I towed it 600miles to Disney World on the interstate at 65mph. I was expecting tire issues but did not have any. In fact, I've never had a tire failure due to age. Knock on Wood!!!!!

Older boat but the trailer is a 2018. Tires shouldn't have been that bad but oh well. It was gone over before I bought it. Tilt sensor was replaced. Motor and outdrive are as clean or cleaner than the boat. Haven't taken it out yet but started it hooked to a water hose and it started instantly. Tilt and Trim seemed to word fine. Stereo works well and Hummingbird combo unit seems good too. What amazed me the most was the upholstery. Everything I looked at that was 80's and 90's needed much interior work. Seats were all cracked and a mess. This one doesn't have a rip or tear anywhere and vinyl is still sold and pliable.

Yeah the upholstery is awesome. Wish my '92 20' Four Winns Sundowner looked liked that... But that's why I got for next to nothing.. $600 bucks in a mechanics lean sale. The motor purrs like a kitten, but the furniture looks like a wolverine decided to eat it.. so it cost another $500 bucks to replace it online. I have it all ready to install, but this Covid thing and a health issue is putting it on the back burner til next year.. I saw that 2018 on the trailer. but wonder if a PO swapped out the tires. There's no way 2 year old tires should come apart like that... I just picked up a '97 RIB inflatable in San Francisco sitting on a '97 trailer and brought it home on the freeway without a problem. However one of the tires had a slow leak and went flat after about a week. When I looked at it there was a big crack in the sidewall. Replaced them both... I'm sure if the boat were heavier it would have went. Still it was a lot older than 2 years... You really picked up a nice boat....and I'm jealous... :nanner:

• 3 months later...