IGNORED

fuel pump factory

has anyone dealt with this company? the fuel pump factory. i was looking around for a fuel pump for my 2011 rsv and came across this co says a direct replacement for 75.00. they have good reviews , but i,m always Leary of anything other than OEM

has anyone dealt with this company? the fuel pump factory. i was looking around for a fuel pump for my 2011 rsv and came across this co says a direct replacement for 75.00. they have good reviews , but i,m always Leary of anything other than OEM

You know about just replacing the points on the factory fuel pump ...right?

VentureFuelPumpPoints.jpg

My Vmax pump has been a touch noisy, so I took the liberty of calling this outfit and asking P&A.

Priced like a quality unit, but in fact it is straight from China. He got really funny when I asked him if these were Japan made. He admitted it was Chinese stuff, it sounded to me like it's a question he has had to answer before.

After he fessed up, his timber changed. I got sort of an "okayyesthankyougoodbye" haha.

My Vmax pump has been a touch noisy, so I took the liberty of calling this outfit and asking P&A.

Priced like a quality unit, but in fact it is straight from China. He got really funny when I asked him if these were Japan made. He admitted it was Chinese stuff, it sounded to me like it's a question he has had to answer before.

After he fessed up, his timber changed. I got sort of an "okayyesthankyougoodbye" haha.

that's what I was thinking, couldn't find anything on the web site about where the parts come from and for 1/3 the price of oem i figured it was the Chinese crap. Thanks

The solid state pumps are the way to go. The Faucet are the ones with the check valve if your worried about hydro locking. I just always turned the petcock off. I didnt want a heated fuel tank to pressurize and force fuel into and thru carbs. The vent is "supposed" to not let it do that.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I think I'll go with the points out after my very recent experience with an aftermarket pump and still having the original I'll be fine, I hope! Last fall I installed one of those exact fit, made in China units that I found on EBay for $15 (that should have been a clue but it had a lot of satisfied customers) and this past Saturday, with 110 miles on it, it crapped out! Even whacking on it like the "recommended rescue" for a stubborn pump, wouldn't give me more than 3 or 4 miles before starting to die again, quite unlike the factory pump that only needed some encouragement after sitting for a few weeks. 

Has anyone had any luck with any aftermarket suppliers of the pumps? I'm not about to spend $250 for one. I see some for $60-65 and wonder if they're any good, unlike the $15 ones that are selling from multiple vendors.

Get the points as shown above.  Easy to replace.  99% chance that's your issue.

Take the black rubber end cover off your current pump and you will see the points.  Look at the contacts.  They should be clean and cross-hatched.  If yours has burns on it, replace it with new points.

RR

• 4 weeks later...

Hold my beer,... 

Just a word of warning here regarding fuel pumps and fuel pump points.

If you decide to go the $17.00 Fuel Pump points route:

1. The package does not include instructions.
  2. There is a black wire that requires both unsoldering and re-soldering.
  3. Make sure that the points assembly is all together in one piece because there are no instructions.
  4. Do not remove the old points before you have the new points because there are no instructions.
  5. Take many photos because there are no instructions.

If, after you learn all these lessons, you decide to give up and go with the $215.00 Fuel Pump Replacement:

1. The package does not come with instructions.
  2. The OEM pump is neither marked "Inlet" nor "Outlet."
  3. The OEM fuel pump replacement, when installed upside down, looks almost identical to the OEM fuel pump when installed right side up.
  4. The OEM pump is neither marked "Inlet" nor "Outlet." (This is important.)
  5. With the OEM fuel pump installed upside down the bike will run only until the float bowls are empty after which it will not run at all.
  6. The only way for the OEM fuel pump replacement to be upside down is if the points are installed upside down.
  7. Reversing the inlet and outlet fuel hoses is much easier than rotating the points.

I took neither photographs nor video. Had I done, it could not have passed the censors. My baby now runs like a champion. I hope this helps.

Edited by Barnacle442
  • Like 2