IGNORED

Help! Valve shim tool 04105... where to source?

Hernicane » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:07 pm

Hi Venturer Riders,

I’m overhauling an 83 XVZ1200 and I cannot find the valve shim tool 04105 anywhere for purchase. Dealership? Nothing, eBay? Nothing, google? Zip! What’s a guy to do?...valves are tight and I’m not keen on buttoning her back up without adjusting. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best!

Edited by Hernicane

Member on here named Skydoc, will lend you the tool if you purchase gaskets and other nec. items from him, great guy and knows 1st gens inside out. I am sure he can help you out. Look for him under Member Vendors, or community he lives in Pa.

Good Luck, Craig

Member on here named Skydoc, will lend you the tool if you purchase gaskets and other nec. items from him, great guy and knows 1st gens inside out. I am sure he can help you out. Look for him under Member Vendors, or community he lives in Pa.

Good Luck, Craig

thank you, I sent Skydoc a message and hopefully we can make it work. I’m in north central West Virginia so maybe he’s close too.

thanks again

If you’re re-doing a first gen bike Earl aka Skydoc needs to be on your call list. Great to deal with and knows that bike front to back.

appreciate the reaffirmation! I’ll be trying to reach Earl today.. looks like I’ve got to get past the newbie stage to be allowed to PM..

short side story about coming to re-do the 1st Gen venture. I’ve had several bikes over the past 20 years...Chronologically as I’ve owned them: 82’ 550 Yamaha Maxim (I think this one is still in my fam), 97’ 750 Kaw Vulcan, 09’ 900 Kaw Vulcan, 04’ 1600 Kaw Vulcan Mean Streak, and now.... 83 XVZ1200

When I was younger, last bike my dad had before he quit riding was 83’ Venture Royale. He loved it and to this day talks of it as his favorite bike. The day he was selling it he called me up and begged me to drive an hour to see him at work so I could ride it before he sold it.. he just wanted me to feel what that machine was like because he revered it so much. Of course I did and was scared out of my mind because I didn’t want to damage it as he had sale lined up already. It was a cool moment in my life and, given how much my father loved that bike, when I started looking for a project... it was a no brainer. I’m realizing there are plenty of bikes out there that are easier projects, but I doubt any that will be so satisfying to me when complete.

thanks for the forum to keep me excited and engaged with this project.

skydoc_17 is the guy.

I linked his name so I would think he will pop in to this thread shortly.

Yes there are restrictions before you can get full site access, unfortunately this had to be done due to spammers flooding the site with their garbage.

Welcome to the nut house that we all call home.

I used to make and sell my version of that tool, I do not know if I have any stragglers left, I will look around in case all else falls thru.

Edited by Flyinfool