IGNORED

Need help on computer network PLEASE

Flyinfool

I have been using a home network for a long time and it has been working great. All puters are win 10 Pro laptops and the Server is a desktop

Yesterday none of my computers can access the server.

A couple days ago there was a win update that installed even though I have auto update turned off.

WHen I try to access files on the server, I get a window pops up asking for the network credentials, I enter the correct username and password but it will not accept it. If I reboot the server and all other puters they will all reboot fine and the password works to start each of them. Each puter functions fine by its self, the server can still access the other puters, but non of the other puters can access the server as it will not accept its username and password.

I have done a lot of searching online for a solution but nothing I found seems to work.

Everything online says to check the stetting to make sure that the "Make this computer discoverable" button is on, Since the update that button is GONE.

Whoa Jeff! I had that same problem back in the days of Win XP...and for life of me can't remember what the solution was. All of a sudden, my network got dumb.

Regardless,Did you try and restore back a day or so and see if you can get rid of that update.

Unless the update was a server update. That could cause your issue.

Depending on how your network is set up.....

Check the ip address of the server and the workstation. They should all be pretty close....eg 192.168.2.###. IF you have a network that is segmented (using vlans - and if you don't understand what I'm referring to then you probably don't) might be a different issue.

On the workstations....go into the computer properties and look at the "Domain". Should match with the domain the server is on.

From the workstations, can you "ping" the server? .... and server to workstations?

Just a start.....

I have been using a home network for a long time and it has been working great. All puters are win 10 Pro laptops and the Server is a desktop

A couple days ago there was a win update that installed even though I have auto update turned off.

WHen I try to access files on the server, I get a window pops up asking for the network credentials, I enter the correct username and password but it will not accept it. If I reboot the server and all other puters they will all reboot fine and the password works to start each of them. Each puter functions fine by its self, the server can still access the other puters, but non of the other puters can access the server as it will not accept its username and password.

I have done a lot of searching online for a solution but nothing I found seems to work.

Everything online says to check the stetting to make sure that the "Make this computer discoverable" button is on, Since the update that button is GONE.

I tried everything to stop my win10 comp from updating. When it does I have to go back through and reinstate all my privacy settings and mods. It updated anyway even after the registry trick and "taking ownership" of the update function. When it did update ANYWAY it made my comp useless for a couple hours in the middle of doing some work. I truly ****ing hate microsoft with every shred of my existence. I'll run Linux as soon as I find a way to run my favorite games on it.

If you REALLY want to stop the updates, here is how it's done. If there is another way I didnt find it after exhaustive searches. This WILL stop any/all updates and the added bonus is you can see and stop all sorts of other nonsense with it too.

The hardware needed is only a LAN cable and a Raspberry-pi, probably around $50 or so. Set up the Raspberry-pi with Pi-hole (on the NOOBs card that probably comes with it) It plugs into your router/modem directly from there. Set it as your DNS server through the modem settings, then all internet traffic must go through it, and it's priceless filters. Priceless!.

I set it up and did some reading on the reddit pi-hole subforum to find the right filter lists and domains to shut down. I have 23 pages of manual blacklist entries that work with the filter lists to make it pretty aggressively setup. really I just had to watch the traffic roll by and research funky looking stuff, I ended up with a pretty robust list and a new apprehension of smart devices, esp TVs and phones. To block MS/windows updates there is only a handful of domains, but I wanted to block all sorts of crap, all of it ultimately. This is not an inclusive list but an idea what I block to keep my internet experience fast, private-ish, add-free and worry-free. It feels great! I have gleefully blocked so much more than MS/Windows updates. These I cut/paste from my own Pi-hole blocklist screen. I use SSL so I can control it through a browser window on my desktop. I keep that open to watch my traffic and block things on the fly.

[TABLE=class: display table table-striped table-bordered dataTable no-footer, width: 667]

[TR]

[TH=class: sorting, align: left]Domain/RegEx[/TH]

[TH=class: sorting, align: left]Type[/TH]

[TH=class: sorting, align: left]Status[/TH]

[TH=class: sorting, align: left]Comment[/TH]

[TH=class: sorting_disabled, align: left]Action

[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=class: odd]

[TD]microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps.exe[/TD]

[TD]Exact blacklistRegex blacklist[/TD]

[TD]

EnabledDisabled

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: even]

[TD]update.microsoft.com[/TD]

[TD]

EnabledDisabled

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD](^|\.)windowsupdate\.microsoft\.com$[/TD]

[TD]

EnabledDisabled

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD](^|\.)update\.microsoft\.com$[/TD]

[TD]

EnabledDisabled

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD](^|\.)microsoft\.com$[/TD]

[TD]

EnabledDisabled

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD](^|\.)microsoft\.net$[/TD]

[TD]

EnabledDisabled

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: display table table-striped table-bordered dataTable no-footer, width: 667]

[TR]

[TH=class: sorting, align: left]Domain/RegEx[/TH]

[TH=class: sorting, align: left]Type[/TH]

[TH=class: sorting, align: left]Status[/TH]

[TH=class: sorting, align: left]Comment[/TH]

[TH=class: sorting_disabled, align: left]Action[/TH]

[/TR]

[TD]microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps.exe[/TD]

[TD]

EnabledDisabled

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD](^|\.)windowsupdate\.microsoft\.com$[/TD]

[TD]

EnabledDisabled

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD](^|\.)windowsupdate\.com$[/TD]

[TD]

EnabledDisabled

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD](^|\.)wustat\.windows\.com$[/TD]

[TD]

EnabledDisabled

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD](^|\.)windows\.net$[/TD]

[TD]

EnabledDisabled

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

https://pi-hole.net/ for more reading, there is a reddit group with tons of info on getting it going and good filter lists.

No more Windows updates, it's what worked for me and came with TONS of other perks. I surf the internet pretty cocky that MS/other big tech are not able to color my internet experience and not violate my privacy.

You can also install KODI on a pi-hole, which means you get to throw out the ROKU or AMAZON streaming unit too. Once you see what they are up to on the internet, even when not in use, you'll likely want them gone too.

Did windows not have an update rollback system? Or did you by chance make a system backup? I forget that all the time. For me it was best to use this electronic ball-gag on my entire network. Sorry I cant help with the network setting that tossed you up, but this would stop it from happening again if it is related to the MS updates (which caused me plenty of headaches), along with seriously cleaning up your whole network (if you dont already have something for that). I hope you get it going soon.

Edited by CaseyJ955

If you want to see what and when updates were applied...

- beside the Windows icon bottom left, type "windows updates" in the search field

- click on "View update history"

- click on "Uninstall updates"

You can sort by "Installed On" date. The list is sorted by application. Scroll to the bottom to see what Windows updates have been applied and when. If you do a Google search for the KB (eg KB4565351) you can see what that patch was for.

Left click on the one you want to uninstall, then right click on it and choose "Uninstall".

It is rare for an update to cause an issue so I think there is some other underlying issue. Some times it will replace a vendor's drivers with a Microsoft version and I have seen this cause issues with printer drivers.

You can also run the Windows troubleshooter...see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028430/windows-10-use-a-fix-it-tool#:~:text=Instead%20of%20fix-it%20tools%2C%20Windows%2010%20uses%20troubleshooters,want%20to%20do%2C%20then%20select%20Run%20the%20troubleshooter.

To stop auto updates see https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

If you want to see what and when updates were applied...

- beside the Windows icon bottom left, type "windows updates" in the search field

- click on "View update history"

- click on "Uninstall updates"

You can sort by "Installed On" date. The list is sorted by application. Scroll to the bottom to see what Windows updates have been applied and when. If you do a Google search for the KB (eg KB4565351) you can see what that patch was for.

Left click on the one you want to uninstall, then right click on it and choose "Uninstall".

It is rare for an update to cause an issue so I think there is some other underlying issue. Some times it will replace a vendor's drivers with a Microsoft version and I have seen this cause issues with printer drivers.

You can also run the Windows troubleshooter...see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028430/windows-10-use-a-fix-it-tool#:~:text=Instead%20of%20fix-it%20tools%2C%20Windows%2010%20uses%20troubleshooters,want%20to%20do%2C%20then%20select%20Run%20the%20troubleshooter.

To stop auto updates see https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

:sign yeah that:. Thats the backup I was thinking about, but couldn't recall where it was.

I did follow the steps in the article linked last here, I retraced my steps several times to make sure it took. Imagine how shocked I was when the update came anyway. I'm less techy than some but those steps seemed straight forward. I knew I would have to figure something else out. It was the frustrated searching that eventually let me to the solution I currently use. Just needed a bigger hammer is all.

To narrow this down try the following:

ascertain the local IP address of your server, i.e. 192.168.1.xx or whatever it might be.

Then open Windows Explorer on any computer on the network, other than the server.

In the location bar in Windows Explorer at the top, enter \\192.168.1.xx (your server's IP address).

If you can see the folder structure of the server then we know the server is actually visible over the network to the computer you are on then the problem is within the Windows settings itself.

You also might want to temporarily turn off Windows Firewall on both the server and the work computer while you are trying to connect to the server. Be sure to turn the firewall back on before you connect to the outside world.

You cannot really turn off Windows updates in Windows 10 - sooner or later the updates will install whether you want them or not.

You cannot really turn off Windows updates in Windows 10 - sooner or later the updates will install whether you want them or not.

You can postpone it, but it's gonna happen. MS must have gone through some trouble to make it so hard to beat.

Flyiin', are you all back up and running now?

I finally got it back up late last night.

I did a restore to before the last update.

Then I found a description online of the issue and went into the services and had to change 6 services from manual, always on, to automatic, and then make sure that all three of the what to do if it fails were set to "try again". They were all set where after the third fail to "do nothing".

Then I had to manually create a new network certificate for each machine on the network on all of the other machines on the network.

For some reason this changed the computer ti NOT discoverable so I then had to change all of those back to Discoverable. and POOF everything reconnected all by its self. Now if it will just stay that way.

I am going to be implementing some of the ideas above to make it harder for windows to make changes to its self without my permission.

I finally got it back up late last night.

I did a restore to before the last update.

Then I found a description online of the issue and went into the services and had to change 6 services from manual, always on, to automatic, and then make sure that all three of the what to do if it fails were set to "try again". They were all set where after the third fail to "do nothing".

Then I had to manually create a new network certificate for each machine on the network on all of the other machines on the network.

For some reason this changed the computer ti NOT discoverable so I then had to change all of those back to Discoverable. and POOF everything reconnected all by its self. Now if it will just stay that way.

I am going to be implementing some of the ideas above to make it harder for windows to make changes to its self without my permission.

I still highly recommend the Raspberry-Pi. Here is a thread in which someone else had this issue and called it a problem haha. Reading might take you in the right directions to get answers on stopping this issue. I did so many searches and I spent hour after hour looking for a way to stop MS from doing this. It's nothing short of infuriating. Win10 when I first lit it up became real obvious it was an OS constructed around mass data collection, mass marketing and monetizing.

I looked REALLY hard and I only found this solution, and several others that did not do the trick. Sure open to other solutions just to double up the much needed protection from Microsoft. MS is far from an internet users only adversary, there are many and this solution works for all of them that tried to infiltrate my network. However, the filter, black and white lists are completely customizable, you could configure it to step on MS's throat, and ONLY MS, if you felt so compelled. Honestly, I have no stock or benefit to trying to turn folks onto the pi-hole, but it's so damn good I would have paid $1000 if it were the only way to get it, more even. Hardware from UK, I got mine on Ebay cheaper, as with most things in life, avoid the Chinese versions, the UK versions are exellent and very affordable. https://www.canakit.com/

I'm glad your up and running, good times! whatever you find that works please update.

Edited by CaseyJ955

I will update if/when I take more measures.

At the moment spending is forboten till Covid eases up and I can find a job.

I believe next time there is an update you will have a handful of times you can postpone it, it buys you some time. I used to take my comp to my sons place in town to use the FAST "city boy" internet, for downloading games or heavy patches. I cant anymore, if I take my PC somewhere with an unsecured internet I know MS will lean me over the back of the couch in short order. I believe a VPN will solve that too, and that is my next project. VPN with Pi-hole takes a little setup. So if you DO find an effective non-pihole workaround I'd like too hear that too. I suspect MS patches also include counter measures for known patch avoidance methods. Also in my experience (limited tech smarts) if you get the reminder to postpone, the problem still exists, and the update WILL come. There is a medic/rescue package that runs to fix the update process should anything go wrong there. I had both of those disabled. Checking for updates rendered a blank screen. Update still came.

Another thought, there was somewhere on reddit an explanation of all the domains used by MS/Windows and if you could select the correct ones to stop the problem of forced updates you might be able to just set those domains as blacklisted right in your modem/router. I have a zyxel 5000 modem and it has some places to blacklist domains. I failed at this, probably an older list of what to block, but someone with more tech smarts might be able to make that work with no further spending. With the Pi-hole I got fed up and blocked ALL MS/Windows domains, except one for time, which gave me my first and only success against the update issue. Also, nothing broke, at least nothing that I use.

I'm feelin' ya on the no income part, I served my last client two years ago.

Edited by CaseyJ955