IGNORED

Bias or radial tires

Skid

Tire manufacturers tell you never to mix them, unless the OEM specifies it. The different handling characteristics can cause problems when mixed if the bike isn't designed for it.

Personally, I'd stick with bias tires on both ends. If you're only going to replace the front it's probably a good idea to match the rear type.

With a radial car tire on the rear, you've already disregarded all manufacturers recommendations. So run whatever you want!

I'm thinking I will install a 130/90 tire on the front of my RSV to hopefully get rid of or reduce the heavy low speed steering. I think the reason Yammy used a 150 was to make it look more like a Harley or maybe it is less tippy with a 150 on the front?

I would not mix them as stated above.

I would run radials in a cold second if I could find the correct sizes. It's like choosing between drum or disk brakes. The Vmax guys spend huge chunks of cash to run radials (not available in VMX 1st gen sizes). It's something like an R1 rim with a Vmax hub welded in and balanced, there are other ways too but this one is common and I think tires and rims like that can chalk up to a couple G pretty fast or a VMX guy wanting to upgrade to radials. Many of those guys will tell you it was the single best mod they did on for the Vmax. For the Venture, however, I'm not sure if radials come in our sizes but I believe they do not, leaving us with no choice but to go with an incorrect size or keep with bias ply. Since you dont have to find a rear size you might just be able to find a workable radial for the front, if you do choose to go that way.

I'd be interested in knowing how you fare with whichever direction you go.

Edited by CaseyJ955

Skid, I have a new Shinko 777 150/80x16 front tire that I haven't installed. If you want it I'll sell it for $80 shipped. I just checked ebay and they are $97.88 plus tax from Chapparral. I decided to try a 130.

Thanks but I am going with the Dunlop E4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks but I am going with the Dunlop E4

Mine is wearing the E3 Dunlops. I think you will be happy with them. For me they perform decently enough in the twisties and they seem to be wearing alright, cant speak to their longevity yet but I am happy with the ride and performance.

Mine is wearing the E3 Dunlops. I think you will be happy with them. For me they perform decently enough in the twisties and they seem to be wearing alright, cant speak to their longevity yet but I am happy with the ride and performance.

+1 on the Dunlop E3/E4's. I had about 15k miles on my last set with life left in them when I picked up a screw in the rear tire. Decided to replace both with the E4's. Only about 1500 miles on them but as much as I liked the ride and handling of the 3's, the 4's seem much better. They are also much quieter when cornering.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up going with a E4 bias ply on the front and so far not having any issues with the CT on the rear. I tightened up the steering head and took out all weaving problems. I probably got a 2000 miles on the CT and starting to feel comfortable to me.