IGNORED

hard cold starting '84

OK so since the weather has been crap here so far, the old gal hasn't been used much this year. In fact according to my gas log, I filled her up last A MONTH AGO!

She has become a bit hard to start from cold of late:

• She doesn't seem to want any choke till she fires then likes about half way for about 3 or 4 mins, and then stumbles if I don't take the choke off but runs and idles fine so long as I do.
  • The battery is brand new, and I have 4 guage battery & starter cables installed already.
  • The starter clutch still needs replacement but is less of a problem since the new battery went in.
  • It was approx 15 deg C last evening and 5 deg C this morning and she gave me exactly the same problems at both temperatures in her nice dry garage.

Well I have ordered up 160ml SeaFoam / tank of fuel STAT, for the next few tanks. All good stuff, lots on hand. While riding along though, I thought perhaps I should splurge on some new plugs for the old gal too.

Seems to me I have read here that there are some super platinum, forked electrode etc plugs that these bikes really like. Whats the consensus guys, what are the best plugs for these old bikes? What would make her real happy ?

Thanks,

Brian H.

i just use stock nkg plugs , and change them more often , i have heard that spitfires can burn holes in your pistons , put a can of seafoam in 1 gal of gas than run it around the block , than the next day run down to the gas station for a full tank of gas , run that tank out than change the plugs . when storing your bike for a mouth or more dump a can of seafoam in it and run it for 15 mins. before parking it .

Thom

I use the irridium plugs in mine and used them in my '85 also. I have no problems starting mine at all....even after sitting for almost 2 month's... full choke....crank her over...fires right up...back choke off to half way and let her warm up.

She does have that real slow cranking issue when hot tho but so did my '85. She starts on the second crank every time so I don't get too concerned about it.

one thing I've found and that is to not go cheap on the battery. I used to buy $90 Canadian tire batteries for my '85 ... they'd last no more than 2 years and I'd always have to take them out over winter and charge them up before using first time in spring. This one I got now (can't even remember what it is) cost at least double... I'm on my 3rd season with it...never loses it's charge...don't take it out...it's great!

one thing I've found and that is to not go cheap on the battery. I used to buy $90 Canadian tire batteries for my '85 ... they'd last no more than 2 years and I'd always have to take them out over winter and charge them up before using first time in spring. This one I got now (can't even remember what it is) cost at least double... I'm on my 3rd season with it...never loses it's charge...don't take it out...it's great!

I thought about going for a more expensive battery but I figured if I pay twice as much and it lasts twice as long, am I really any further ahead? I cheeped out and bought a $90 battery, but from a reputable battery supplier NOT Can Tire!

I used to bring my m/c batts in the house over the winter, but lately I have got lazy and just leave them on the bike plugged into a Battery Tender all winter long. Seems to work OK. Anyone know why I shouldn't do this ?

Thanks,

Brian H.

Whatever works for you on the battery as long as your tender cycles on and off and doesn't boil out the battery. As far as plugs go I use regular NGKs. New plugs are the best thing for my 83 when it gets sluggish on starting.:D

I thought about going for a more expensive battery but I figured if I pay twice as much and it lasts twice as long, am I really any further ahead? Brian H.

I look at it this way... since I never do any maintenance to the battery...don't take it out, don't have to put it on a battery tender...don't have to give it a trickle charge... nothing...nada.... and it cranks the bike over no problem....every time....even after sitting for close to 2 month's.... then that is worth the extra expense to me. Whatever works for others is their choice.

Back to the choke thing....I've owned two first gens. Both had differant fickles with the choke. Once I knew what they were I had no issues.

I think they are all a little differant to start me thinks.

Maybe try turning they key on...wait until you hear the fuel pump stop, turn key off and then back on...waiting for the fuel pump again and hit the switch.

I had the iridium on my last 1st gen (just sold). They were ok. Expensive though. I would stay away from the other "voodoo" plugs..tried them on previous cars....not worth the money.

Could it be time for a fuel filter change?

Could it be time for a fuel filter change?

Good suggestion but, the fuel filter is less than 2 years old, and its a short season up here so that'll only mean a few thousand miles.

Brian H.

OK 4 NGK Iridium plugs on board and running now. Took her round the block and all seems good but nothing outrageously better than before evident so far. Guess the proof will come next time I start her from cold.

The old (4 or 5 years) standard NGK's all looked good, nothing fouled about them that I could see. All a nice beige / brown colour with no excessive deposits on the insulators or up in the plug body crevices.

The RHS front one was disturbingly stiff to screw out and in again. Took courage but it all worked out OK. The LHS rear had a small amount of light brown dry deposit on the centre insulator. Other than that it was a piece of cake.

Brian H.

New spark plugs and the seafoam treatment seem to be paying off. She's running and starting better and better every day.

My idle speed, which I had set a bit high on purpose to get around a stumble at idle, gradually got faster and faster, presumeably as the seafoam got working, so i was able to back it off too.

Hope fully thats a wrap.

Brian H.