IGNORED

Headset recommends

As the title suggests, I’m looking at replacing the headset bearings on my ‘84 XVZ1200 VR. Currently, when on the center stand (with the front wheel in the air)...if I move the handlebars from side to side, I can feel a “notch” right in the center.

I’d like to replace the ball bearings that are currently in there with roller bearings....does anyone have a part number recommendation?

Will I need to replace the races?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

Reading the title I thought you were looking for a helmet headset....

As for the bearings. I've had decent luck with the All-Balls kits for steering heads, wheel bearings, etc.

https://www.allballsracing.com/22-1004.html

When I did my '99 I scored the old races with a Dremel tool cut-off wheel till I could smack them with a cold chisel and crack them off. I barely nicked the machining in the frame neck.

I’d like to replace the ball bearings that are currently in there with roller bearings....does anyone have a part number recommendation?

Pat

The head bearings are not ball bearings on the Venture. From the factory they are tapered roller bearings.

Personally, I prefer genuine Yamaha parts. And yes, replace the races, they are included; the race is probably dented (brinelled) and is the cause of the "notchy" feel you experience.

Top bearing part number: 93332-00001-00

Bottom bearing part number: 93332-00008-00

93332-00001-00, top bearing.jpg93332-00008-00, bottom bearing.jpg93332-00008-00, bottom bearing .jpgbrinnelled race.jpg