IGNORED

Be careful out there

XV1100SE

Little too close to home and my first concern was for local members.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/two-people-killed-another-airlifted-to-hospital-after-crash-in-brant-county-1.5066513

This is a two lane country road. Speed limit is 80kph/50mph. Intersection where the pick-up truck pulled in front of the bikes is clear, no view obstructions at all. No reason that the driver couldn't see two bikes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1236888,-80.019905,3a,75y,22.57h,107.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj-yiCExBzfNLX4DQ_fLSTw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Even when you think the other vehicles at intersections can see you, don't count on it. I ride with passing lights and high beam on all the time and coming up to an intersection where I see vehicles stopped I'll swerve back and forth in my lane to hopefully be seen.

Be careful !

When I see a vehicle waiting to enter the road ahead of me I expect them to pull out in front of me and prepare accordingly. If they don't, well that is just a bonus.

I am also a proponent of having as many bright lights on my bike as possible. I am constantly adding/improving lights as I find new options and the budget allows. My most recent improvement was a headlight modulator.

Just last night my wife was driving home, she works a late shift so almost no traffic, she was rolling through a flashing yellow and a lady stopped at the flashing red, then gunned it, ramming my wife sending her spinning through the intersection landing on the sidewalk at the opposite end of the intersection. Wife pissed but safe (we really super loved the old Lexus which is now a total loss). I can always get another classic Lexus but a perfect best-friend/wife not nearly so easy to come by.

So this woman did not take off and was insured, thankfuly. Still not sure why she gunned it and smacked into my wife. Cop thought she was likely pissing around with her phone. Insurance is working on it. I rushed to the scene to pick her up and the first thing she said was..

"your right, it's not enough to watch out for ourselves, but we really DO have to assume that everyone in traffic is an idiot".

I've often said to the kids and wife (wife is a fairly new driver) that if there is a chance someone can do something stupid, assume it will come to pass and be ready. Had she not stabbed the gas she might have taken it on the drivers side door rather than the rear wheel.

I said, damn good thing we were not on the bike! It annoys her than I'm so defensive on the bike, but I think she sees why now.

So yes, lets please assume that they dont see you at intersections so keep an eye in the mirror and the bike in gear. Know that they will turn left from oncoming traffic, know that they actually DO NOT see us, also know that their convenience is more important than the safety of others. It's just how it is.

I am a take a lot of pictures/hubcap watching kinda guy.. This has saved my life, and the lives of my passengers many many times over and over again.. In the context of my above statement what I mean by I take a lot of pictures is that I snap check all vehicles at intersection very carefully over and over again and what I am snap checking is their hubcaps movement.. If I see movement at an intersection in hubcap rotation I have been known to come to a complete stop and motion the offender forward.. I have stopped traffic to do this and offended people behind me (made known by honking of horns and middle finger waves) in the process but I totally refuse to have my bike, or car,, or semi truck, or bicycle imbedded into the side of someones vehicle because they have no respect for human life and are in a hurry to get a cup of coffee..

YES,, this is a LOT of work to have to do this at every interection where other vehicles are present BUT,, I have found that once you get in the habit of doing this it just becomes second nature.. Sort of like knowing what gear your in without even remembering shifting...

Hopefully this thread has been a good reminder to everyone to be careful out there and hopefully someone learned from the tips posted. Remember you can't be too careful. Be careful, observe everything, don't assume people see you, have an escape route at all times, prepare to hit the brakes hard (be wary of the surface you are on), expect the unexpected.

That article sent chills up my spine. That was me 5 weeks ago. Thankfully I am here to talk about it. An elderly couple literally pulled out in front of at the last second. I had approximately 3 car lengths at 35mph to work with. Almost got around them but the my saddlebag caught their front bumper. I posted pic here after it happened. First words out of their mouths was that they didn't see me. The intersection was almost a open as the one in the google pic from XV1100SE.

I am having a little difficulty since getting back on a bike again. Every time I see a car at an intersection now, I tend to brake and swerve away from them. A couple of days ago, there was a young girl at a stop that kept creeping and creeping. I stopped my bike in front of her and walked over and told her to knock it off. Then told her the story of my accident and this creeping she is doing is scaring the crap out of riders. Normally I wouldn't do stuff like that, but since my accident, I have lost my filter.