IGNORED

A question for my Kanuckian friends

cowpuc

In a recent discussion with one of your fellow countrymen the question came up as to whether or not the following statement is true,, in its entirety. If you would be so kind,, please read it line by line and look for factual, honest truth,, truth matters.. A simple yes that line is true or no,, that line is not true would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance

Puc

Here is the statement we were discussing:

In 1982, it (Canada) adopted its own constitution and became a completely independent country. Although it's still part of the British Commonwealth—a constitutional monarchy that accepts the British monarch as its own. Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada.

I think that's pretty close to being right. We have citizens, Members of Parliment, Prime Minister, Governor general and then somehow the Queen is also to take notice. Although the GG signs everything and the Queen signs some things, once Parliament has ok'ed it, it's pretty much done like dinner!

Broken down....

In 1982, it (Canada) adopted its own constitution - true

...and became a completely independent country. - true

...Although it's still part of the British Commonwealth—a constitutional monarchy that accepts the British monarch as its own. - true but only because of tradition and being a parliamentary system of government - someone has to have final signature. In our case our Governor General signs in place of the Queen (at the Federal level) but is selected by our government in place at the time (current one is a piece of work though - abusive work environment, she had changes made to the official residence (lots of $$$$) and still doesn't live there)...Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada. - true but as said more because of tradition and parliamentary system of government. Even at the provincial level we have a lieutenant-governor of the province who acts as the Crown's representative in all areas of provincial jurisdiction

See the following for info on our system of government -https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/provincial-government

British North America Act > Articles of Confederation > Constitution. That's the basic progression of laws that formed today's Canada, more or less.

The Queen is still our Monarch, though she has no legislative powers. The relationship is entirely honorific. The Governor General is the Queen's representative in Canadian government; he/she has almost no legislative powers, though the passage of a House of Commons or Senate bill into law still requires 'Royal Assent', which is given by the Governor General. Technically no law comes into force until this final step; it is a rubber stamp process. The office of the GG is notional, thougn a fairly expensive notion to maintain. Their consent is also 'required' to dissolve Parliament ahead of a general election.

Our system of government is a Westminster Parliament system, as opposed to the Constitutional Republic enjoyed by our American cousins. You have an elected Congress of Members of the House of Representatives, and Senators. We have elected Members of Parliament who serve in the House of Commons, and Senators who are appointed for life by the Prime Minister. These are EXCLUSIVELY patronage appointments, as is that of the GG.

We - in theory - do not elect our Prime Minister. He/She is the leader of the political party with the most seats in the HoC. They are elected leader by the membership of their political party. In practice, we more or less vote for a party and a leader, and do so by casting our vote for the often nameless nobody running under the flag of colour we prefer in our local riding.

We also do not elect Judges at any level, nor law enforcement officials of any kind.

This system works great if you're a small island in the North Atlantic with an ethnically and socially homogenous population. Maybe it works OK for a colony across the pond comprised of 99% English and French. It is an absolute disaster for a huge country populated mostly by immigrants from all over the world.

If the root of your question cowpuc is whether or not Canada became an independent nation not until 1982, technically that is correct, though we celebrate the birth of our nation as the signing of the Articles of Confederation in 1867. The clue is in the name - at that time, we were the Dominion of Canada.

Edited by SilveradoCA

Thank You guys!

So without prompting you all mirrored my explanation.

Because Puc and I remain Puc and I.... we often spar over the same things that Dad won't let us bring to the family supper table - over at Mama's cafe.

Well I guess Puc won't be asking me to play the Battle of Mississippi anymore lol :whistling:

next :stickpoke:

Thank You guys!

So without prompting you all mirrored my explanation.

Because Puc and I remain Puc and I.... we often spar over the same things that Dad won't let us bring to the family supper table - over at Mama's cafe.

Well I guess Puc won't be asking me to play the Battle of Mississippi anymore lol :whistling:

next :stickpoke:

Got that right Patch,, since reading thru all these replies and seeing your fellow countrymen affirm that what I had found was indeed,, factual and accurate as I had told you I thought it probably was, I took Liberty and figured out how to play that song anytime I need to:

:usa::usa::witch_brew::witch_brew::stickpoke::guitarist 2::backinmyday::cool10:

I love that song myself. I like even better this story about the origin of the American Anthem. It makes you think of two things

1) Why allowing the flag to touch the ground would be such a disgrace.

2) I wonder how many of today's American kids are taught the story behind their National anthem so they can really appreciate it and what the flag symbolizes, or are they just made to blindly memorize the song without any real understanding.

HUH, I did not know that story myself!

Remember when as kids we sang the anthem every morning before class?

Then said our morning prayers?

Then remember they changed the "Our Father" then the anthem.

Now if you were to, which versions would you remember?

For myself everything early on was learnt by ear so the first ones learnt are what I remember.

Hey Puc that is a great song and I always liked it and North to Alaska.

Did you know that the Battle of New Orleans was the Americans biggest win of the war but was really all for nothing? :Avatars_Gee_George:

The battle took place.....Two weeks after the War of 1812 officially ended with the signing of the Treaty of Ghent. The news just hadn’t got down to New Orlean yet! :doh:

Hey Puc that is a great song and I always liked it and North to Alaska.

Did you know that the Battle of New Orleans was the Americans biggest win of the war but was really all for nothing? :Avatars_Gee_George:

The battle took place.....Two weeks after the War of 1812 officially ended with the signing of the Treaty of Ghent. The news just hadn’t got down to New Orlean yet! :doh:

Actually Dave that does not surprise me at all considering the date/time frame it all took place,, not sure but I doubt they even had field radios back then.. Jump forward to WW2 and did you know the last Japanese soldier to surrender was 1974? :scared:

The last Japanese soldier to come out of hiding and surrender, almost 30 years after the end of the second world war, has died. Hiroo Onoda, an army intelligence officer, caused a sensation when he was persuaded to come out of hiding in the Philippine jungle in 1974.

:scared::scared: