IGNORED

Yes gen2 basket fits but....idle whine

Will keep the bike now. Original basket was a srceamer at 65 mph. Swapped with a ‘90 (it’s a G) and its 90% quieter. Non issue now but...

it whines quite loud at idle to about 1500, rpm dependent, clutch in or out, in gear or out. Only changed the basket, good shape no grooves; not the tower that drives the steels. Used the rsv disks(Barnetts) Throwout bearing is good, Clutch works good, no slip. Bled the fluid.

Has to be tight fit with the basket/drive gears , right? Or am i overlooking something?

Its soooo quiet at speed now. Gf likes the wind protection of this bike. I can hear the RK pipes now.

My Nomad is not feeling so confident about it’s future now.

The whine is how we perceive the rattle of the straight cut gear set Yamaha used. Depending on the gear lash the volume, pitch and rpm of the whine will vary. Since manufacturing isn't perfect any time you switch one or both gears you're likely to change the lash.

It sounds like you got one that works well for you.

But it’s the only bike i hear it on. Yamaha is so well known for engineering. Dropped the ball on this quality control.

I would not keep a bike with that sound.

IMHO,, yes Yamaha is well known for good engineering practices but still,, they are far from perfect.. One of the things that I have noticed throughout my career in bike sales/service is/was that Mom Yam still makes mistakes and when those mistakes are made she is very slow,, if not absolutely apposed to making corrections when they get costly manufacturing wise.. Case in point?

The Virago 750 and its starter system that made it sound like there were rocks being rattled around under the stator cover every time a starter button was pushed.. This design flaw caused those cool little charmers to be a hard sell, at the least, for any self respecting buy/sell situation.. Got to the point around here in West Michigan that those bikes were buyable for a couple hundred bucks.. I discovered by trial and error that grinding/honing some relief in the engagement gears on the Virago starter gears cured a lot of the issue,, as did making sure you had a really good battery to assist in disengagment of the gears (hard in = fully loaded return spring), and actually did ok on resale of most of them BUT,, by the time that was taking place the "issue" was well known..

Concerning the clutch whine on our V-4's.. Many many V-4 Yam riders,, from V-Max to Venture and all inbetween, actually have grown to love and respect the whine. I know I have.. Not only does it give instant notification that a fellow V-4 rider and his machine are approaching,, it also speaks loudly to the gearhead of SOLID and TOUGH straight cut gears and,, in my case,, they always sounded like a turbo spooling up or down :big-grin-emoticon:.. I have often thought about taking the time to cut/fit some relief in the mating gear faces/ends in an attempt to quiet one down just to see if it could be done.. I highly suspect that it could.. It would take some time and in the end,, a good finish honing with perfection like a custom gun worker carefully honing the sear on his favorite shooters trigger system to make it smooth as butter but really,, I would do this longggg before I crossed a mighty V-4 Yam off my list.. They, the V-4 are farrrr to much fun for that!!

I agree they are a fun bike. Like everything about it, a long list for sure, but that whine is too much. From 83 to 2013?

yes I understand the small extra power of straight cut but I’m not looking for a rice rocket. Some are lucky and it’s bearable. But I also play music and won’t sacrifice my hearing for MamayamI. Two baskets, same whine but different rpm. Anyone want to send me an “I” to try? 🤷🏻*♂️ My Nomad is looking very smug waiting patiently in the garage. Lol

As much as I didn't care for the whine on my RSV's, I noticed that the earlier 2002 I had was very loud. Could only run dino oil 20w50 in it so it was tolerable. My 2006 was better and my 2 2008's barely had any whine. The last 3 ran synthetic oil.

Now you want to talk about annoying whine. Earlier this year, I traded my 2014 Harley Ultra Limited in for a 2015 Indian Roadmaster with the 111 engine. Thank God that the dealer had a 14 day satisfaction policy. I turned it back in in 2 days because the whine was totally unbearable. It whined from idle, clutch in or out and all the way through the gears and was rpm driven. First ten minutes my wife was on it, she asked what that terrible whine was. If she complained, it had to be bad. That bike had straight cut primary gears like the RSV, but the whine was so much worse.

Here's a clip of the Indian sound. The sound you hear about 7 seconds in, is what mine sounded likeall the time at idle and only increased as I drove down the road. I think mine was louder also, because the Roadmaster has a fairing.

I just replaced the clutch spring on my Nomad 1500 this morning. Straight cut gears. Silent. Yami Made them whine for a long time. Last few years were still hit or miss, some quieter, some not.....Why are Kawi’s silent?

Looking for a deaf guy to buy mine😁, use my Nomad until i find a quiet Venture. We like it but not with earplugs.

The reported clutch whine was the only thing that held me back from adding a Gen 2 to the stable for a long time. Then I got a deal I couldn't pass up and took the plunge with an '06 RSV.

Either I got the ONE that Yamaha got right, or the whine is the same pitch as my tinnitus. :banana::banana::banana:

Seriously, I was expecting this horrendous howl at some unspecified RPM. What I got is a barely discernible murmur that comes and goes.

The reported clutch whine was the only thing that held me back from adding a Gen 2 to the stable for a long time. Then I got a deal I couldn't pass up and took the plunge with an '06 RSV.

Either I got the ONE that Yamaha got right, or the whine is the same pitch as my tinnitus. :banana::banana::banana:

Seriously, I was expecting this horrendous howl at some unspecified RPM. What I got is a barely discernible murmur that comes and goes.

My test ride was just too slow,then 300 miles home too fast. The whine is bad 55_70 but severe at 65.

Anyone have a spare I basket? I'll try that before I sell it.

Not many comparable bikes to an rsv.

Btw, I'll trade up if your interested lol

I don’t see the video to play but don’t really think i need to compare. My rsv is now parked and the Nomad is proudly back in place. I,ve tried a lot of oils dino and syn, thick and thin. Rotella 15/40 is the quietest but still need earplugs.

Nice bike with great looks, wind protection, power and handling. To trade up to a quiet one is expensive clutch fix and may whine with mileage. A crap shoot. I’ll try a few more baskets, only takes an hour. The ‘90 i tried fixed the 65 mph sound but what an intense low spd whine. Like it was too tight. I’ll try the a few more baskets before i give up on it.

ideally, i can find a basket that whines at 75 mph, same as the pillion whine 😂😂😂