IGNORED

Embarassed to Admit I dropped my Bike!

BlueSky

Yep, there's a technique to picking one back up... They usually show a 105# woman picking up an 800# bike like it was nothing by using her legs and butt under the saddle. And it really works.... for some one short enough to get their butt that low, but for some of us that are horizontally challenged getting our butts that low and the legs only partially bent is a problem.... and pisses me off.... :witch_brew:

At 6'4" if my butt is that low it means I am sitting on the ground. Hard enough to just get myself up from that position, picking a bike up from that position would be a flat out miracle.

When I owned the 2004 Kawasaki Concours, I joined two message boards just for those bikes. One of them had a section for dropping the bike. The Concours C10 is notoriously top heavy and very easy to drop. Looks like we may need a special place to discuss ours too. After all, we can learn from hearing about others dropping their bikes. We can learn to be more careful if nothing else. My bike drop was due to carelessness! Plan to stop and look, at all stop signs in the future unless I'm in the desert and can see for miles in every direction!

Former '97 C10 owner.... Not just a section, you were given a COD Number (concours owner dropper) to post in your signature!

The only time I dropped a bike, I wasn't even on it. I was doing a Lake Superior circle tour in 1980 and was in a small town in Ontario on the north side of the lake. My touring partner and I stopped at a Candian liqour store to get some beer for the evening. We were camping at Neys Provincial Park.

In the liquor store parking lot I got off my bike and walked away - I heard a crash and turned around. I forgot to put the kickstand down on my 1979 Kawasaki LTD-1000. To say I was embarassed would be a massize understatement. To this day, when I get off a bike, I look down to the left to make sure the kickstand is down.

To all my Candadian counterparts, your government makes it way more difficult than necessary to buy a sixpack of beer - I felt like I was going into a pharmacy and needed a prescription from a doctor - LOL. But I am from Wisconsin and even the bank lobbies have a liqour and wine department (just kidding).

Ist time I dropped a bike was my 1975 250 canam TNT, It was being stubborn and would not start so I ran down the side of the road with the bike beside me then jumped on it side saddle to bump start it, only to flop over and into the ditch. The second time was when I came home on my 400 Kawasaki first I noticed the good looking girl next door watching me, second noticed the car ramps I had left in the driveway. So like any young hot blooded youth would do I decided a little showing of was definitely called for. Gave it some throttle with the intent of doing a little jump off the car ramp. Bike went further than I expected and I crashed into the closed garage door. All I can say is I definitly got her attention who could not stop apologizing for her inability to stop laughing. Body and bike where Ok. EGO badly bruised.

Ist time I dropped a bike was my 1975 250 canam TNT, It was being stubborn and would not start so I ran down the side of the road with the bike beside me then jumped on it side saddle to bump start it, only to flop over and into the ditch. The second time was when I came home on my 400 Kawasaki first I noticed the good looking girl next door watching me, second noticed the car ramps I had left in the driveway. So like any young hot blooded youth would do I decided a little showing of was definitely called for. Gave it some throttle with the intent of doing a little jump off the car ramp. Bike went further than I expected and I crashed into the closed garage door. All I can say is I definitly got her attention who could not stop apologizing for her inability to stop laughing. Body and bike where Ok. EGO badly bruised.