IGNORED

Tire recommendation needed

Trader

I have a next to brand new viper venom...or is it venom viper?

Front was new but a few years old when I put it on and it weather checked so badly within the first season it is unsafe.

so...what’s a good replacement front tire that will work well with the viper rear tire?

I have tried numerous combinations and even mixing high end $$ tires with low end $$ tires and,, at the end of my CTFW career have formed this this simple solution.. If your into replacing, or being able to replace your own tires (and dont have a tire machine to do so,, meaning you are one of us long lost tire "spooners" from days gone by) go with Shinko's of the proper size and load rating.. Even if you are mixing brands (I am running Shinko front/E4 rear right now and works awesome),, Shinko for a spoon on is excellent..

On the other hand,, if you are one of the many thousands of riders who choose to trust that a dealership is always going to be there for you,, are a modern day rider dependent on tow services just in case and dont mind knowing you will have to the have a tire machine involved in swapping tires if/when the need arises, than I strongly suggest going with the Dunny E-4.. WOWZY am I impressed with the wear factor on the E-4!! The HUGE downside of the E-4 is that there is no way on God's green earth that stiff walled tire is coming off that rim without a machine to pull it.. I did spoon one on the rear rim of Tweeks because people begged me to one BUT,, it took me over 3 hours to get it on and it only takes me 20 minutes to spoon on a Shink/softer tire.. Telling you,, aint no way,, no how that E-4 is coming off without a tire machine..

All that said,, knowing what I know now and even with the added mileage of the E-4,, I would just buy a good set of Shinko's,, mount em myself so I know what I got going on in there (valve ok?, condition of rims?,, grease the pins?, grease the splines?, check my brake pads?,, align the axle?, axle nut torque properly?,, regrease wheel bearings?) PLUS,, I really do not like the idea of being at the mercy of a tow company or dealership out in the middle of the desert when its 110 degrees,,, BUT,, thats just me...

I have tried numerous combinations and even mixing high end $$ tires with low end $$ tires and,, at the end of my CTFW career have formed this this simple solution.. If your into replacing, or being able to replace your own tires (and dont have a tire machine to do so,, meaning you are one of us long lost tire "spooners" from days gone by) go with Shinko's of the proper size and load rating.. Even if you are mixing brands (I am running Shinko front/E4 rear right now and works awesome),, Shinko for a spoon on is excellent..

On the other hand,, if you are one of the many thousands of riders who choose to trust that a dealership is always going to be there for you,, are a modern day rider dependent on tow services just in case and dont mind knowing you will have to the have a tire machine involved in swapping tires if/when the need arises, than I strongly suggest going with the Dunny E-4.. WOWZY am I impressed with the wear factor on the E-4!! The HUGE downside of the E-4 is that there is no way on God's green earth that stiff walled tire is coming off that rim without a machine to pull it.. I did spoon one on the rear rim of Tweeks because people begged me to one BUT,, it took me over 3 hours to get it on and it only takes me 20 minutes to spoon on a Shink/softer tire.. Telling you,, aint no way,, no how that E-4 is coming off without a tire machine..

All that said,, knowing what I know now and even with the added mileage of the E-4,, I would just buy a good set of Shinko's,, mount em myself so I know what I got going on in there (valve ok?, condition of rims?,, grease the pins?, grease the splines?, check my brake pads?,, align the axle?, axle nut torque properly?,, regrease wheel bearings?) PLUS,, I really do not like the idea of being at the mercy of a tow company or dealership out in the middle of the desert when its 110 degrees,,, BUT,, thats just me...

Hey Puc try securing the rim down and use a pair of truck tire spoons. with a length of almost 3 ft you get lots of leverage. But that is only good if you already have a pair or can find a good deal on used ones because the brand new price is not cheap. I have because I spoon or did spoon thousands of semi truck tires over the past 50 some years. But they work nice on any tire all the why down to tiny trailer wheels.

truck tire spoons (Small).jpg

Edited by saddlebum

Hey Puc try securing the rim down and use a pair of truck tire spoons. with a length of almost 3 ft you get lots of leverage. But that is only good if you already have a pair or can find a good deal on used ones because the brand new price is not cheap. I have because I spoon or did spoon thousands of semi truck tires over the past 50 some years. But they work nice on any tire all the why down to tiny trailer wheels.

I do have a couple 24 inch spoons and they do work great BUT,, taking them on cross country tours with me was aways questionable do to size.. I always just hauled 3x 12 inchers that I had smoothed and tweeked the ends of to my satisfaction.. :lightbulb:,, I will say though brother,, I do see enough umph there with those truck spoons to make a pretty decent tent rack/carrier for the scoot,, then double as spoons :missingtooth:.. Those definitely would have came in handy in the jungle out there!

Hey Ben,, you ever do split rims? I worked for Goodyear in town here for a spell when I was a kid.. Did several splitters,, nocking off the ring and beating the bead down with a beater and bar.. Remember the "Cage" for airing em back up? Wasnt one of my jobs but I did get to witness a failed splitter ring.. KAAAAABOOOMM and CLANG when that ring hit the cage.. :big-grin-emoticon:

I do have a couple 24 inch spoons and they do work great BUT,, taking them on cross country tours with me was aways questionable do to size.. I always just hauled 3x 12 inchers that I had smoothed and tweeked the ends of to my satisfaction.. :lightbulb:,, I will say though brother,, I do see enough umph there with those truck spoons to make a pretty decent tent rack/carrier for the scoot,, then double as spoons :missingtooth:.. Those definitely would have came in handy in the jungle out there!

Hey Ben,, you ever do split rims? I worked for Goodyear in town here for a spell when I was a kid.. Did several splitters,, nocking off the ring and beating the bead down with a beater and bar.. Remember the "Cage" for airing em back up? Wasnt one of my jobs but I did get to witness a failed splitter ring.. KAAAAABOOOMM and CLANG when that ring hit the cage.. :big-grin-emoticon:

Oooh boy cut my teeth on those babies just did not loose any :hihi:. They could be a nightmare. Tire shop down the road from where I worked lost two people because of them. One lost his head and another was thrown up against the ceiling were he left an imprint, when a huge off road tire blew. Sadly He was killed instantly as well. Its had me keep a wary eye And a large dose of respect for them :bowdown: rings while inflating them. Never had a cage though but would wrap two chains around rim and tire.....Most of the time :confused24:

Archimedes was on to something. "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."

I agree the Shinko for a less expensive tire and my best wear front was a Michelin. Either ran well and on the 2nd gen I liked the little taller tire for handling.

Puc I also was one of those guys that learned on split rims. First shop we didnt have a cage, so we would throw it on ground and use the rack. Then I worked at a Firestone dealer and we had the local school bus contract. Some weeks I would have close to dozen or more a week, plus my regular work on lube rack and car tires. Oh and that was during the big Radial 500 (junk) swap to 721 (les junkey) fiasco.