IGNORED

Need Some Non-MC Advice/Help

Condor

So I,ve been shopping for another truck. In the past I've owned Chevies, GMC's, and Fords, but never a Mopar. So I'm looking at a 2001 Ram 1500 4x4 in decent condition with really low miles for a 19 year old truck. My problem is the Vin sticker sez it's build by Mazda in 11/88. Am I missing something here??? Here's a pic of the sticker and the truck... Any help from one of you mopar guys would really help.... :think:

196611-1152714.jpg

196611-1152661.jpg

the gvw looks awful light check the vin in the front window see if its the same as sticker sound fishie. my last Mitsubishi pickup the ecu was 1000.00 to replace. door jam looks silver but the truck is white am I correct on that

I had a 01 Ram for 13 years and had pretty good luck with it. It had the 5.9 which was not a horsepower monster, but adequate, and still towed pretty well. Gas mileage sucked though. It was fairly comfortable, and the extended cab, although having a small back seat area was adequate as well. There were a couple of times 6 guys rode up to the cabin in that truck. I kept it maintained and never had any real issues with it, other than the rust that kept creeping up. That shouldn't be as much of a problem for you.....it's a SWAMP here where I live. (Humid)

It was sad to see her go, but it was time. I went with another Dodge, and so far I'm LUVIN' my 2017 Ram.

Best of luck with your new truck.:thumbsup2:

I have a Ram 1500, 5.7, 2008. Have been very happy with it, but I'm not real concerned about gas mileage. It does it's job, handles well, sits well and has not given me any issues that wouldn't be expected. Not sure how the rust thing works out though, it's always been Rust Checked, so I have not had the pleasure of dealing with any of that other than a couple of rear wheel well spots. Presently looking to upgrade to a 2500 for better heavier towing. It should be the last truck that I will need,, at least for this life, and I'm thinking that the next life I won't need a truck.

From what I have read, the 5.2 and 5.9 engines in that vintage truck are very reliable but the transmissions were a little on the weak side. That looks like a nice truck and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it checked out. Look underneath for rust. It may have been a transplant from the rust belt. A truck that old should have needed new paint but you never know what might have been covered up. I have a 2002 F150 that I had painted recently because the condition of the paint on the hood and top of the truck was getting really bad with some rust showing up.

Edited by BlueSky

One thing to watch with a truck like that. There are some very heavy accessories on that truck. I have a 1500 EX cab 4x4 long box with a similar extra high cap. With me the wife and a full tank of gas and a small tool box in the back it is already at max GVWR. My similar fiberglass cap is 500 lbs according to the cap dealer. That big chrome cow catcher on the front is not real light weight either.

In my case I knew this going in, I carry big things not heavy things so it is not an issue for me.

Looks like I'm gonna pass on this truck. KBB has the trade in value with the low milage at $2200 +/- It's nice so maybe bid 3K. It went to 5K in the first 30 minutes. I'm out... again.... I've noticed that since this sequestered/covid thing happened people are going nuts and bidding online without any common sense. The one good thing about it is I'm saving lots of money... I haven't been high bidder on anything for over 3 weeks!!

"Good deals" are very far and few between. I spent over a year looking for a 2011 or newer F250 4wd gasser under a certain price and not have 200k or more. My second choice was a Dodge 2500 crew 4wd. A diesel in those I would go for as I had one previously, bet all those had 300k and they still though they were worth 20k. So I ended up with a 2012 Ram 2500 4wd crew with a 5.7 gas. A 6.4 would have been better but it works for me. My theory is if its meant to be it will happen. There is a bigger force at work here than we understand. Just go with it. The 5.9 dodge was a good push rod motor (360) The 4.7 in a 1500 imop is a bit small, ok in a Dakota/Durango. Early 5.7 in 1500 with MDS have some reports of lifter failures but you know how that goes too. Those with problems squeal the loudest.

I have had a 2002 ram 1500 for many years. It has the tow package and a 4.7 engine which makes 320 hp with a 5 speed stick. I have beat it up hard. Loading rocks, gravel firewood topsoil furniture etc. I picked up some landscaping rock and they told me they would not load that much weight in a chev or ford but it was ok in a dodge. I have towed logs out of the bush with the front wheels right off the ground. Darn thing just keeps going with no problems. Up to 250,000 miles now.